Ca18det ignition/starter wiring

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Adamround123, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Hi all, just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me. So I planned to get my car running today after having a rebuild and what not.

Trying to start it first off, I had ignition lights but wouldn't crank over, jumped the starter with a wire to see if it still worked and it turned the engine over but no fire, even with the ignition on, never had any problems the last two times the engine has been out haha.

Started digging into the loom round the fuse box on the drivers side of the bay, found another plug (left hand side of picture) had black wire with yellow tracer, same as the other plug (right hand side of picture) assumed all to be to do with the starter, but can't remember the left plug ever being plugged in, anyway, turns out they're both live wires so I bridged it with a wire and the car turned and fired straight up?
    received_618697265614489_zpsdyeezcme.
    received_114705493272585_zpswgmhgstz.
    Now I'm not complaing about it, just confused as to what the left hand plug is for that I had to bridge to get it to run, never having to do this before.

The car was previously auto but that was converted by the last owner if that makes any difference.

Huge apologies for the essay but I'm just boggled as to why iv had to bridge it now and never had to before, thanks in advance

2. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Iv done some research and found it may be to do with the inhibitor from when it was auto, still baffled as I cant remember it ever being plugged or unplugged before haha

3. pointz

pointz Member

That be the inhibitor switch wiring.
    Perhaps it was bridged previously and became dislodged when replacing the engine?

4. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

I'm gonna have to put it down tho that and have it remain a mystery haha