Jzx100 Chaser Hybrid Turbo Priming??

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by eroll_350z, May 20, 2020.

1. eroll_350z

eroll_350z Member

Hi all,
    I put a post up not too long ago about purchasing a new turbo, so thanks to everyone who helped me on that thread, it was greatly appreciated! Long story short, ended up buying a hybrid for the car, brand new rebuilt, hasn't been on a car since it has been built, so I need to prime it when it comes to installing it.

What is the most preferred way of doing this? Spark plugs removed and crank a couple times, or remove fuel pump fuse and crank and wait until the oil drips out? Seen a few different ways but as it's my first ever turbo change, obviously don't want to kill it before it's covered any miles.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Eroll

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Couple of way to do it, but as long as it doesn't run for more than a minute/no load/high revs with no oil you'll be safe

When I did my last turbo swap i just pulled the fuel pump fuse & killed spark (unplugged CAS, don't know what the 1JZ version is) and cranked until i had oil coming out the drain. The one before that i loosened off the oil feed and cranked until it seeped out but that made a mess and put oil all over the manifold/turbine housing.

I'd go with disconnecting the oil drain. It should be easier, less mess and just needs a well-charged battery/jump pack

3. eroll_350z

eroll_350z Member

Hi BenRice,

Thanks for that, just trying to gauge on what is going to be best/easiest.

I'll make sure to have a tray of some sort handy to catch the oil coming out!

Thanks again!

Eroll

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

No worries dude