1991 mx5 (Eunos) drift build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Michael quinn, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Michael quinn

Michael quinn New Member

So, my names Michael, I’m 20 from the UK and after buying my first house in September I decided I wanted to buy another car. I daily drive a diesel 2014 leon but always loved drift cars. When I was 18 I had an e46 323i drift car for a little while which I sold to buy air ride for my other car. I ended up buying a 1991 Mazda eunos (it’s a jap import) 1.6 manual off a friend for dirt cheap with some good mods on, but best of all, wait for it...

“drumroll”

ITS RUST FREE!!!
    Here’s some photos of the car and the rear sills
    142857D9-3BD8-4CFC-B9A7-CD5D173B3D7D. 9A77F69E-5E8A-428F-991D-F0A1E8ADF9C9. 149BAE49-1CE7-479F-ADFE-1F8CF6FD7673. Excuse the dirt the weather has been nothing but raining since I brought the car and in all honesty the paintwork isn’t great and bumpers etc are all different colours.

This car so far has had a few nice little surprises, the first being how much the hard top roof sells for!! As it will be a drift car and only road driven occasionally I’m just going to run the soft top with a roll cage so I’m selling the hard top to find other areas of the car. It also came with a 4-2-1 manifold, decat pipe and full Malian exaust, I sold the exhaust because it was way to raspy for my likings but it looked cool and was easy to remove as the previous owner literally did the bolts up finger tight. Tut tut
    EC8B13D0-5BAC-4F3D-BBE8-9754A5017515. 2598C901-509A-4F54-AC0D-306E4B2A0C8F.
    along with this the car has what I think are koni coilovers? If anyone correct me please do.

CE4C818F-D035-4B16-A198-DE8BD8DAF6F7. It also had a full set of rota rcr’s (I think they are rcr’s) in 15x8 et0 wrapped in some 195/50/15 Pirelli p1 tyres. These wheels are pretty sweet but after picking up a cheap as hell set of steels I may sell these as my main focus to start with is learning to drift, style can come once the car can actually drift. B1A02A39-3F31-4E3B-A899-2AFB2F251FE8. There were a few other cool bits it had like a second set of eagle eye rear lights, a momo speed line steering wheel and a duck tail spoiler, none of these I’ll be keeping.
    3E215E99-7C54-422E-87EC-A1A22C26A685. A67DA1FF-E33F-4AE1-B690-60762F5CCA93. F7173C1C-F2D2-4DF1-AF54-A48FF5F84417.

So that’s enough of the car as it was when I purchased it, now for my plans. I plan to turn it into a starter drift car that isn’t over the top with 500hp and a sequential box like a lot of people, I want to learn with low power so I can really push the car and have to work for the drift and learn correct techniques that a high power car could just hide by powering out. (No insult here intended to guys with high powered drift cars.) the first thing I will do is swap out the steering wheel, get an exhaust that doesn’t make me want to rip my ear drums out and weld the diff. So far I’ve thrown a skinny set of wheel on the rear that were off a Toyota Aygo, removed the exhaust and sold it so I can buy something better, and swapped out the steering wheel. In the long run I do plan to get this car painted whether I stay stock body or get some overfenders and go for the twerkstallion kind of look with the firefly speed shop Duce kit and either turbo or engine swap it with something cool once I have the basics down. I did find when I was changing the wheels the cause of a continuous tapping the car had from the drivers side rear when I picked the car up, turns out the brake pad contact material was non existent and it was just the metal back plate left in the carrier. This I guess was what was left of the pad which just fell out when I knocked the hub while removing the wheel. 6FE15966-5768-4339-B8FA-C1C92268CC73. 3813148F-3EF1-4B83-8BB8-DC34B3C7DD8C. So that’s all I’ve got done so far, more updates will come revolving around angle mods, getting the diff welded and finding a new exhaust. I’ll also upload some more pictures of it now with my new steering wheel in and any cool Japanese thing I find that I may find!

I promise this thread will get more interesting as it moves forward... I hope!

Thanks for reading, any tips, tricks or info to do with drifting or mx5’s at all please pop them in the replies.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PanozGTR

PanozGTR Member

Angle mods:
    Destroy or die chopped knucles,
    Destroy extended braided lines,
    Rack spacers,
    Half width lock nuts for the tie rods, allows more adjustment.
    Might need wheel spacers depending on your wheel offset. Mine were 15x8 et28 and rubbed on the LCA without spacers.

Honestly you will not need more angle than that in a stock power car, had that setup with some rack raisers too as I was running mine pretty low (MK2 mind) and it was like butter on transitions.

Diff is a ballache to change on your own, so get a few mates and some beers. Get new seals in whatever diff you put in, they're cheap and tons easier to change out of the car.

I'd put new disks/ pads on if they look like that, again it's another cheap thing to do, check all the pistons and sliders at the same time and it'll be mint. I ran some dirty cheap pads in the rear of mine with the handbrake adjusted. Once they were warm they'd lock the rears with some weight transition but not in a straight line, good enough for me though.

Get a quality roll bar TR Lane/ GCFabs, most tracks wont let MXs run without a roll bar, even with a hardtop.

Final thing is just go send it! I'll probably end up with another MX again, and a MK1 is increasingly tempting.

3. acme15

acme15 New Member

Evening, this is my old car. :)

I bought it with no wheels and crash damage to the rear for about £500 I think a few years ago, for the same reason as you, its rust free... Amazing.

I put the white rear panel and bumper on it to replace the damaged bits, as well as the ducktail, the Rota RKR's (had NS2R's when I had it), the hard top, the stubby aerial, as well as some stuff it now seems to be missing like retro metal mirrors, an offset front plate mount, and custom made mesh TSI's. I also sanded that rear quarter because it had lacquer peel, and for some reason never got round to re-painting the rear end. I also ripped the carpet out because it was soaked through and stank.

It was good fun, I drove it rain or shine (or snow), and bent the same lower wishbone twice through being an idiot with the crappy viscous LSD... :no:

The Koni coilovers were on it from Japan I believe.

Some pics...

0gci8vM.

cX7TN9O.

hJvYQp4.

Ynv7kXY.

1tKFHjg.

AfF55xT.

fg76hYk.

I sold it to a guy who crashed it into my driveway wall before he'd even handed over the money, which is probably why it now has a black front bumper haha... Exhaust was stock when I had it so he must have put that on too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AmeOkami

AmeOkami New Member

Great build! Do you and the pink 5 have an insta I can follow?

5. acme15

acme15 New Member

Would also be interested to know. Be good to see whats happening with it! :)

6. Michael quinn

Michael quinn New Member

That guy was my mate as I got it off of him as he got himself a civic type r, hahaha im going to rip into him for that. I no longer have the car, I put it back to standard and sold it as a standard car to some guy who is restoring it as i didn't have the space to keep it. now on the lookout for another one now though

7. James Barnshaw

James Barnshaw New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm now the current owner of this rust free beaut which I bought from a chap in London.

It's seen a few changes in my hands already which include a respray and a set of JR3's.

I've got a lot of plans for her as well as a slot at M-tech towards the end of this year

IMG_20220502_100036.