Hydro handbrake

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Mathew Mower, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Mathew Mower

Mathew Mower New Member

I have a few questions that need answering.. I have just bought a hydro and looking for info before I buy brake lines ect.. I’d like to run a in line setup as having a second caliper setup is out of my budget..

Would I be correct in saying all I have to do is to tap into the rear brake line?

or run a line from the master cylinder into the handbrake - out of the hydro - into rear brake line?

Would there be conflict when using the brake pedal and hydro at the same time?? I’d like to keep the car’s handbrake in place for nct reasons..

Any info would be appreciated!

2. oscar

oscar Member

Tap into rear brake line as said but check where the rear pressure limiting valve is. An AE86 for instance has the limiting valve in the engine bay so it can have no effect on increased pressure after it. If the limiting valve is on the rear axle then you either disable it or tap into the brake line after it. There will be a conflict in using the brake pedal and the handbrake at the same time. You can keep the original cables, either disconnect them at the lever when not on the road or loosen them off sufficiently to allow the hydro to work before they pull. Be very careful of brake pressure pushing the hydro master cylinder the wrong way as there is generally only a circlip holding the master cylinder together and it is not designed to be pushed outwards.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mathew Mower

Mathew Mower New Member

Cheers for the info, I have a c35 laurel so I will check at the weekend to see where the limiting valve is.. I picked up a chase bays hydro, they look pretty sweet imo.. 41072B20-75BB-4580-B372-A029E2878D9A.

I’m guessing I will need to pick up a pipe flaring kit to join the pipes and pick up the in & out lines also..

4. oscar

oscar Member

The original brake lines will be under the floor so you will need to route them inside the car, be sure to use a grommet where the pipes go through bodywork. So it will likely be Master cylinder - hydro in - hydro out - T piece - individual rear brakes. I guess you will just keep the standard cable hand brake? There should be no issue with the master cylinder guts pushing out on that design.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mathew Mower

Mathew Mower New Member

cheers Oscar.. yeah I’ll be keeping the standard handbrake in place for now, I will get the measurements for how much line is needed to run through the firewall and into the hydro then run a t-piece under the rear seats and each going to each side.. it’s going to be another time consuming job ‍♂️