Wet grip drift tyres ~ beginner advice

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by RRR, Sep 22, 2020.

1. RRR

RRR New Member

Hi there!

I'm new to drifting with just one drift day under my belt. I'm looking to buy front tyres and struggling to figure out what would be the best option for me.

About the car:
    I'm drifting an IS200. On my previous drift day (wet surface) it was bone stock, except for the welded diff and peugeot 307 ARB (rear). I used whatever tyres I got it with (Hifly hf805 and Farroad frd26 - yes, two different front tyres) in 215/45/17 on the front and some throwaways from a nearby garage on the back (205/55/16 - s14 stock wheels). The front grip was pretty much spot on for me, not a trace of understeer through entire day.
    FB_IMG_1583444143340.

That was just before lockdown happened, and since then I've got tein street basis coilovers, KFD extra lock knuckles and new wheels.

I'm starting this thread, because I had a few shougun rides in my friends cars (e36 and another is200) and they had problems with the cars understeering a lot in wet (both more experienced drivers than me).

That's where my questions are.

1. What tyre setups do people use on wet?

2. Any preffered brands or do you just make do with whatever you have?

3. I've got 8J 16s to go on all 4 corners now, what widths should I search for, considering the power of the 1gfe?

4. Is stretching the tyres good or nah? (I heard it helps stiffening up the sidewall) Also budget is a big consideration for me (I'd rather spend less on rubber, to have more for seat time).

5. What about using better tyres on front vs rear? I heard it can promote bad habits.

6. And the last one - IS200 specific - Should I even bother looking for ''wet only'' tyres, maybe I should aim to try drifting on dry surface instead?

Sorry if it's been asked milion times already, I tried searching for similar threads, but the only one I found is from 2010 and the rest of internets talks only about dry surface tyres!

Any help will be much appreciated!

2. AlexK.

AlexK. New Member

Following. I have similar questions and would appreciate any help.

3. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

Wet tyres = Uniroyal Rainsports

Can't beat them for wet grip and they are more than good enough in the dry too. They wear well and seem to last with multiple heat cycles.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Japtorque

Japtorque Active Member

I use part worn's any brand.. I don't see the point in buying new tyres.

what price are the rainsports ? ns-2r's should be around the same price.

5. jon07043278

Using a decent tyre up front isn't exactly a waste of money. I wouldn't say use rainsports on the rear unless you have deep pockets.

6. Japtorque

Japtorque Active Member

something good upfront then ,
    anything on the back I guess. its good fun to try different tyres

7. jon07043278

It is definitely worth trying different tyres. If using part worns, try to keep them in matching pairs.

At some point, it becomes more cost effective to use new tyres (more time on track and less time/cost changing tyres). If buying in bulk, new budget tyres can be had at decent prices. I steer away from remoulds as when they get to a certain temperature they disintegrate.

8. RRR

RRR New Member

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Price comparison on demon-tweeks.com as of right now. (Cheapest prices on google search)

Uniroyal Rainsports 5 per tyre:
    205/55/16 - £45
    205/45/16 - £65
    *There is a 42% discount on at the moment, so I guess in regular circumstances they're about £80-£110 per tyre

Nankang NS-2R per tyre:
    205/55/16 - £70
    205/45/16 - £73

Rainsports have an A rating for wet grip while NS-2R's are B rated. But I assume NS-2R's are going to be extra sticky on dry due to 180 rated treadwear, and semi-slick looking pattern (or is that an actual semi-slick category?)