Nissan 350z VLSD Shimming (R200)

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Joel McFarland, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Joel McFarland

Joel McFarland New Member

Hi All

Have been doing some research on shimming the VLSD on my 350z and after a few weeks I literally can find nothing.

From the info I have gathered is that one guy has it done 10 years ago but cant get in contact with him so its possible and it works!

Also going by part numbers etc it looks to be nearly the same r200 diff as most older skylines, s-chassis cars etc as it uses the same shims as most them guys use!

So long story short looking to know what the best amount of shims to use! Have currently ordered up two 0.8mm shims.

Some say to bang one 0.8mm shim in on top of the one there and some say bang the 2 of them in on top of the original. The latter leaving it like a welded.

I'm looking for a real good tight diff but something I can daily drive and not have the bad side effects of a welded at low speeds.

Also from research online there is a shim at each side that can be replaced or stacked but going by an online parts catalog there only seems to be one in the 350z diff? might be a different scenario ill know when i open it up!
    upload_2020-11-24_21-51-15.

2. Joel McFarland

Joel McFarland New Member

Possibly thinking of measuring the original shim and if its worn down below 0.8mm I will bang in the two new ones in replacement of it.

And if it has the one shim at either end like what I have saw from the older R200 diffs. I will measure each of the shims and do away with the smallest and bang in the two new ones.

Would hate to do it like this and for it to still open up. Then having to tear all down again to bang all the shims in !

3. mc_bob

mc_bob Active Member

the ones ive welded dont look like they can be taken apart to shim.