Moving radiator & intercooler further back in the engine bay?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by clutchkick.it, Jan 6, 2021.

1. clutchkick.it

clutchkick.it New Member

Need some advice / opinions

I'm putting a VR5 engine from a Passat into my BMW. The VR5 engine sits about a foot further back in the engine bay than the outgoing straight six. Can I move the radiator and intercool further back as well?

My thinking is that it moves the weight back from the nose of the car and offers more protection against any small to medium taps. Now I know that my ducting is going to have to be on point to make sure that air flows through both the rad and the intercooler and not around them but can any of you guys think of any problems or unwanted side effects of doing this?

Cheers

A few pictures to visualise

IMG_20210104_171801~2.

IMG_20210105_144710(1)~2.

• Like Like x 2
  2. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

You can move them back without any major ill effects PROVIDED they are properly ducted/boxed to ensure the air actually gets to them.
    This can be rigid plastic sheeting to keep manufacturing costs down and also means they will easily crumple without any major fuss and without bending your rad/intercooler :)

You could also look at V mounting the intercooler and radiator so they have their own direct air path, not one "blocking" the other.

• Like Like x 1
  3. clutchkick.it

clutchkick.it New Member

Cheers Bud, will also look into V mounts :thumbs: