Japanease auctions advice/ companies - your exsperience

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Lucasdemoley, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

Looking for some advice regarding purchasing from Japanese auctions.

I've lined up funds to start my car search in December and looked around and there seem to be a load of companies offering a variety of services, including those based in the UK, Europe and Japan. Part of this decision is lack of availability of UK cars and me ending up with something not quite what I wanted.

It would appear the UK ones simply use the Japanese companies and then add on their fee (£1k+) to sort out getting it from the ship to their workshops and giving it a once over/ making it legal for use on UK roads. Some seem to charge an additional fee for each car looked at, where as Japanese companies don't as they have people at the auctions.

I'm conscious that I could just go directly to these Japanese companies and cut out the middle man. Has anybody taken this route?

I guess ultimately I'm after peoples experiences of importing cars whichever route they chose, what company you used, why they chose that option and what they might do differently next time.

I found myself quite daunted last night at the prospect of sending £15K to a Japanese company I had never heard of but then concerned at the level of fees UK companies seem to be charging (on top of the Japanese fees). I am aware of the tax/ vat to be added.

Thanks for any help/ advice that can be offered.

2. Roofless_

Roofless_ Active Member

Few months ago I imported a JZX100 Mark II from TorqueGT and everything was simple and smooth. They're a very well trusted and higher recommended importer (just do a search of their name and you'll see the reviews). I used TorqueGT because they're known for bringing in high grade good cars. Yes you do pay a price for it but IMHO its worth it. They have someone out in Japan who'll check the car before it goes into auction and give you a translated description of it. If I import anything else, I'll be using them again without a doubt.

Best thing you could do it weigh up your options and have a look at other companies reviews, be it on here or somewhere like Facebook.

You can cut out the middle man and many people do to save themselves some money etc.

3. abcregis

abcregis Member

I've used pacific coast auto to get my ex jzx110. Derek was amazing with any questions and transparency. Highly recommended. More involving than let's say importer in UK, but if you read upon about customs and port clearing companies - easy work.

4. doninphi

doninphi Member

I know 2 people who have used JM Imports and had no issues/plenty of support. I recently spoke to Jurgen about an import over email, he instantly called me for a chat to sort it/discuss it as it solved my query so much faster. Seemed like a top bloke.

Not done or heard of anyone going direct.