Best option among these cars

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by kSwiz, Jan 10, 2022.

?

Which car?

1. Fox body

14.3%
  2. E36

14.3%
  3. E46

42.9%
  4. IS300

28.6%
  1. kSwiz

kSwiz New Member

I’m in the market to buy one of these cars for an occasional drift car that can also daily if needed. I would be driving this car to and home from track days, so no trunk and trailer. I am looking for an easy to work on and accessible/cheap parts to obtain. Which choice would you recommend?
    1991-1993 Foxbody v8
    E36 325i coupe
    E46 330i coupe
    Lexus IS300

2. crazyae86

crazyae86 Well-Known Member

bmw is more cheaper

but lexus is more like it

after all they no cheap thing you have spend some monbey whatever you want like to buy

• Like Like x 1
  3. kSwiz

kSwiz New Member

100% agree. Thank you! Do you think the price difference on maintenance/parts for the E46 is significant to the E36?

4. crazyae86

crazyae86 Well-Known Member

for me e36 is ungly e46 is more i like it but thats my opinion rigth ??
    e36 is like square box e46 it more beauty outside you know
    is your money is your like it more

5. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

E46 parts will be easier to get as the cars are newer, 36 stuff is getting harder to find and more expensive.

E46 330i will be the best option, buy a standard car unmolested is always better to start with.

Coilovers, seat, steering wheel, some lock mods and weld the diff to get started.
    Then polybushes and subframe pickups reinforced.
    I would always drop the sump and tack the oil pump nut with a tig welder just to save the misery of oil pump failure too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kSwiz

kSwiz New Member

TYSM for the reply. I've narrowed it down to the Lexus is300 and the E46.
    The tricky part is finding a manual is300. Its going to be hard, but I know it can be done.
    The is300 would come with an LSD and the reliability of a Toyota and the JZ engine.
    The E46 coupe is a beautiful car and I'm aware of the cooling problems and subframe issues. But both of those are an easy fix.
    Only thing I want to know if the E46 is going to be reliable enough to daily drive without draining my pockets???
    Im decent with working on cars so ill be able to do mostly everything myself, minus stuff like the timing belt, etc.

7. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Did the is300 come in manual?
    Could buy an auto and throw a bmw box on it.

I prefer BMW, grippier chassis and over here parts are easily got and way cheaper than jap stuff. Also less suspension components to bend or have rod ends/bushes go bad on.

But I see the appeal of the is, nice looking and can get kits etc. Also can +t the 2j very easily and make a reliable 450 wheel.

Bmw's are super reliable as a daily and nice place to be. Especially if your going to go through it so it can last a drift day road miles will be nothing to it.