AE86 - inside of tire touches frame rails during drifting

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Bozu, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Bozu

Bozu Member

Hi guys (and girls?),

So I have an AE86 specific question.

I’m looking for some feedback from people on the forum that have experience with an AE86 and running power steering knuckles on a manual rack and the effect this has on the clearance between the inside of the wheels and the frame rails.

My setup:
    I have a manual rack AE86 with power steering arms and currently running 15” 7J ET20 rims with vredestein 195/50 tires on the front. Car is slightly lowered using coilovers.

From what I understand this knuckle and rack combination gives you more lock/angle. How much more angle I can’t find information on.

During drifting I recently noticed the inside of my front tires are rubbing my frames rails. I did some investigation and it appears that during normal driving the inside only just clears on full lock.

But due to the weight shifts during drifting the suspension is unloaded on one side, the wheel drops and starts touching. On full suspension droop the tire touches significantly.

I did some measuring and, assuming my calculations are correct, at full droop I would need 16mm spacers as a minimum. This is not an option as this would cause the outside of the tire to touch the guard/fender when the suspension is loaded.

Based on this I see three possible solutions:
    1. 165/50 tire on current 7J rim, but this is very stretchy so not sure if it drives properly and is safe during drifting.
    2. 175/50 tire on 6,5J et16 (other rims that I have)
    3. 175/50 tire on 6J rim with max et7 (would need to buy this custom size)

Does anyone know the extra lock/angle power steering knuckles give you when used with a manual rack?

Has anyone run this rack and knuckle combo and can confirm which wheel and tires combo/spec will clear the frame rails? I prefer to run 6,5J rims instead of 6J but I’m not 100% sure option 2 will provide sufficient clearance.

• Like Like x 1
  2. crazyae86

crazyae86 Well-Known Member

hey mate
    first of all your car is oem with power sterring or put on it yourself ??
    if you have manual and put on it power its ok you didnt need nothing do extra
    you have more angle on wheels
    if you have power sterring and want put on it manual you have change rack nuckles
    i have control arms from ke70 on ae86 is sorted 15mm than ae86
    and nuckles ae86 from auto is sorted 10mm than manual and
    have no problems at all
    drive it very smooth drift it little and its ok
    i think you check it suspension is big part on it
    i run 15x7j et0
    suspension i have custom coilover very hard on drive on road but i like it
    if you have do all stuff you say did you must need spacers tio turn out the rims dont heat on inside

3. Mad_Max

Mad_Max isthisreallife?

I have manual rack with ps knuckles on mine. 15x7 et0 with 195/45 clears fine, same with 15x8 et0 with 195/45. The front arches have the lip rolled and the protuding seam inside the arch near the pedals has been hammered flat. I also run slightly higher caster than stock.

4. Bozu

Bozu Member

@crazyae86 yeah it’s a manual rack with power steering knuckles. Bought the car like this many years back.

@Mad_Max I think your ET0 vs. my ET20 makes the biggest difference. And the slightly lower 195/45 tyre as well.

I will see if I can source such a wheel to test fit and/or 20mm spacers. This means though that my arch lips need rolling as well.

• Like Like x 1