Ca18det cams and head issue :)

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Cream., Sep 8, 2022.

1. Cream.

Cream. Member

Hello,

so i done goofed, and left my head exposed too much i guess.
    Basically i had my valve cover down since ive send it for powdercoating to a friend, the paint took too long to deliver. So it turned out to two weeks that i had my head down, when i took it off i oiled it, oiled some, not microfiber but like soft cloth, put it on and wrapped it, but it was sitting outside in quite heavy rain that lasted like almost 3 days, when i came to put it on on monday.
    When i came to it there was quite lot of rust, but since it i would say quite protected i tried to remove it with wd40 and #0000 metal wool.
    It worked quite good but on intake cam fist lobe there are missing pieces, like if the rust eaten it away whats weird, and now i need new cams (feel free to send offers) and since i need to take out the whole front of the engine i was thinking about taking whole head off since theres some burned oil build up and some small shavings from the wool.

My question is, is it worth to take out the whole head, resurface only head, put new cometic gaskets there while changing cams ? i had classic oil smoke but it was like 90% turbo and compressions were 150psi across all +- 4.

Guess best way to learn is by your own mistakes :)

2. Cream.

Cream. Member

I would maybe even try to send it to shop for fix, but i donw know the exact specs to machine them for IMG_4605. IMG_4607.

3. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

New cams. If the head is coming off get the valve guides and stem seals done, then skim the head. Should be hot tanked after all that so will come back minty fresh.
    Some mild porting or port matching with the manifold and turbo on the exhaust side might be an option as well.

Cometic head gaskets can be a sod to seal properly, OE Nissan gaskets are decent.

4. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Or just run it, clean the worst off then change the oil a couple of times after a few hundred miles.
    It's only a ca.

5. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Long gone are the days you can pick up a running engine for £100 or upgrade it to an SR for £500.

6. oscar

oscar Member

Take the head and cams to a decent engine machine shop.
    They can advise on polishing the cams and also cleaning the head.
    Shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred quid.
    Use an original Nissan head gasket.