For the swedes...

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by DeBastaard, Feb 8, 2007.

1. DeBastaard

DeBastaard Keyboard-Drifter.

Guys,

I'm looking for a Volvo from before 1982 (Oldtimer hehe). Hopefully my S13 is gone and then I need something cheap, but reliable... = volvo.

The thing i'm after, is a 242, 244 GLT, since they are só cool. Would have to be the 2.3liter engine, and a Gas system would be a big plus!
    Diesel would be okay too, but i'd still prefer a nice 2.3 with Gas/LPG fitted.

What sites should I visit, like Autoscout, autotrader etc.? I've tried www.autoscout24.se , but that gave soooooo little results, i'm pretty sure i'm using the wrong website, considering Volvo is swedish and they should be sold quite a lot!

If anyone can help me..... =)

2. PDE

PDE Member

Ok, first question/note;
    why 1982? If I'm not totally wrong the 2 major style changes where around 78-79 and 85-86 (note: 242:s where only made until 1984)....

Second note;
    you got to decide if it's a 242 or a 244 you want. 242:s where never made as GLT:s, GT:s yes but these are relatively rare and expensive. Most 242:s are GL or DL models with a 2.1 or 2.3 l single carb. engine, while the 244 GLT:s have a 2.3 l injection engine (mechanical k-jetronic system i think)....

Third note;
    Finding a gas/LPG converted volvo 240 is hard, gas/LPG conversions are not very common here in sweden. E85/ethanol conversions are a lot more common....

And now we come to the fun part, finding a car.... Blocket is probably one of the mostly used buy&sell sites in sweden, so how about a quick lesson in finding cars on blocket...:

I've marked out the "most important" fields, and will give a quick explanation below.
    [​IMG]

1) Here you write in what it is you are looking for.
    2) Here you choose what area to search in Bilar=Cars
    3) Here you choose what area in sweden to search in Hela Sverige=The whole of Sweden
    4a) Price, lower limit (in SEK)
    4b) Price, upper limit (in SEK)
    5a) Age/Year, lower limit (the lowest you can choose is "1980 and older", it's better to leave this alone)
    5b) Age/Year, upper limit
    6a) Milage, lower limit (this and the next are in "swedish miles", multiplie the number by 10 and you have it in kilometers (I know, we are weird))
    6b) Milage, upper limit
    7) Transmission type (Auto,Manual)
    8) Fuel type (Gasoline,Diesel,Enviromental/Hybrid)

Hope that helps a bit, but finally; a link to blocket, containing a search with the same parameters as the example above.

Happy searching....
    Mikael:wave:

3. ShockAli

ShockAli Drift Princess/Super tart

Now that is some pretty comprehensive advice!

Do you work at Torslanda? I love it there! I have a load of friends who live on the Island. I must visit again soon...

4. PDE

PDE Member

Thanks, I like to help out, and I'm a ovlov 240 owner myself, so....

Nope, not yet atleast, sad to say that I'm unemployed at the moment, which is a real pain in the ass since I can't afford to have my car running....

5. ShockAli

ShockAli Drift Princess/Super tart

oh poo! Not too surprising that you drive a Volvo, given that Gothenburg is full of them! V70 heaven!

6. DeBastaard

Ey , thanks for the advice!

Well, if the car is from 1982 or earlier, they fall under the oldtimer-law here in The Netherlands. Meaning I Don't have to pay any road-tax :D:D:nod:
    Considering Volvo's are pretty heavy, that saves me a lot of money!! (Over 110euro per 3 months...).

Oh and i'm very thankfull for the great explanation you gave there! Even though i'm dutch, and some words are pretty obvious compared to our language, some words still are very hard to read/understand ;)

I'm digging this:

http://www.blocket.se/vi/10141617.htm?ca=15_s

This one is even better: http://www.blocket.se/vi/10756805.htm?ca=15_s

Haha, =)

#6 DeBastaard, Feb 9, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  7. PDE

PDE Member

I'm more of a rwd guy myself, just loving the old amazon (learned to drive in one, and my dad raced them when he was younger). When it comes to the fwd lineup my favorite is the 850, especially the late 4-door T5-R model....

Glad I could help, give me a shout if you get stuck on some odd word or something...

8. DeBastaard

PDE,

If I would find a nice car through that website, would you know anybody who could check it out for me? To see if it's an Okay-car ?

Cheers

9. PDE

PDE Member

Can't think of anyone right now, I'm sad to say that I have a very limited amout of friends, it depends much on where the car is.....

10. DeBastaard

I'm going to look for a car somewhere in Götenborg, or near that. Stockholm is probably way to far!

I've heard there's a bridge connecting Denmark to Sweden ?? Well, I was hoping to find one somewhere near that bridge :p

11. smokey

smokey Member

in norway and sweden, the volvo 2/740 is what the nissan 200 is in japan.

my gf has a volvo 740 as a daily driver, and i'm doing one up too

pic taken this summer
    bruksbilen.

driving from oslo to stockholm takes about 7 hours with a HGV (i know, since i drive one) so driving from the bridge connecting denmark with sweden takes about 6-7 hours too, but the roads are very good. just remember that you have to have either winter tires or all-year tires if you come to scandinavia due to winter roads.

12. DeBastaard

Hmmm yeah, good point about the winter tires ;)

It's a 1000km drive from my city to Göteborg, Route-planner says nearly 12hours, but that's a bit gay imho :D