4AGTTE in AE86 N2 Replica - 56k No go..

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Team_Dandism, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Team_Dandism

Team_Dandism Member

After almost 3 years It's finally starting to come together and is road legal again, so thought I'd share a couple of pics.

Start with these:

Vaz Speed Twin Turbo kit for AE86 from Yahoo Auctions:

VazSpeedTwinTurbo.

Add Vems ECU:

VEMSECU.

and nice loom made up by Rob:

VemsLoom.

Group A AE86 fuel system inc 2 Litre swirl pot with R33 GTR pump inside and Bosch 044 motorsport lift pump and filter:

GrpA_fuel_system.

Fitted underfloor with spare wheel well cut out and sheet welded in, fuel is filled through rear panel (bloody MOT's):

FuelSystem.

Add some Gaz coil overs and other suspension parts:

GazfrontStrut.

Front_lower_arms.

Suspension_parts.

Then mate to W58 Supra gearbox using bellhousing from Rhett in the Phillipines, via custom Helix clutch and 212mm MR2 mk1 flywheel:

W58_bellhousing_for_4AG.

Add TRD N2 bodykit (copy kit from Rhett again made to fit Kouki front, with genuine TRD rear wing), some kevlar front wings, tailgate and bonnet, paint it all Bright Tangerine, and you end up with something like this:

small_side_n2.

The engine, still needs some decent leads and the coil pack attaching a bit better, but she starts and runs now.

small_4agtte.

Its an AE101 engine with the SC bits thrown away, a T3 big to small port adapter plate, AE86 intake manifold with the Vaz speed kit bolted on the other side.

All running on one of Robs VEMS ecu's, currently mapped at 1bar but still needs a few more hours to sort the final fuelling and ignition out properly. Then we can start working on upping the boost a touch as the intercooler appears to be working rather well so the intake temps are quite low.

I'm still chasing a couple of oil leaks, including one very annoying drip from the upper turbo oil drain flange, which is keeping it off the road at the moment, and the interior still needs the other seat fitting, some carbon door cards that used to be on CorollaRWD's car and the dash flocking if i can work out how to get it out and leave the car moveable.

Spec is as follows:

Powertrain:

Engine changed from 4AGE to 4AG(Z)E internals and fuel injectors
    Vaz Speed twin turbo kit inc manifold, pipework etc.
    Kakimoto Racing R exhaust system with Decat pipe
    Custom cast clutch bell housing to allow fitment of W58 Supra Turbo Gearbox
    W58 Supra gearbox with Custom Helix Clutch to suit 212mm MR2 4AGE flywheel
    Front mounted Alloy Intercooler and Oil Cooler (Setrab / Greddy)
    Custom Prop shaft made up from corolla and Supra shafts
    TRD 1.5way late spec LSD with large TOMS Racing half shafts
    2L Alloy oil breather catch tank

Fuel System:

Rear boot well cut and sheet seam welded to allow under slung RCI 18.9L Race cell
    2.2L Swirl pot with internal R33 GTR fuel pump.
    Bosch 044 motor sport lift pump and motor sport filter
    Goodridge -6 & -8 braided return / feed lines with fittings to original fuel rail
    Sard external rising rate fuel regulator
    External fuel filler flexi mounted on rear panel with appropriate rollover and venting system

Electrical / ECU:

VEMS standalone ecu with twin EGT and wideband lamda functions, knock & boost control
    Custom made Engine loom for above supplied by VEMS UK
    Red top 15 gel battery in original engine location.

Safety:

Cusco Chromalloy Steel 4 point rear cage
    Sparco / Sabelt 6 point Drivers / Passengers harnesses
    Recarro SPG seats *2
    Bride seat rails for above seats
    2.25L plumbed in fire extinguisher system with remote electric fire
    Endless Racing Competition pads and discs with Goodridge Braided hoses.

Chassis:

Seam welded front and rear turrets
    Uras Adjustable track / caster front lower arms
    Techno Toy Tuning 5 link rear
    Techno Toy Tuning Traction brackets for rear axle
    Techno Toy Tuning Front Pillow ball upper suspension mounts
    Techno Toy Tuning Rear strut brace with rear triangle bar
    Cusco Front strut brace and Techno Toy Tuning triangle bar
    Gaz full coil over front and rear suspension to Grp A settings
    Quaife quick steering rack
    Whiteline front and rear adjustable anti roll bars
    Revolution 5 spoke 8.5" * 15" front, 9" * 15" rear wheels on Khumo V700 Tyres

Body:

Fensport Kevlar front wings
    Fensport Kevlar Bonnet
    Fensport Kevlar rear tailgate with Polycarbonate rear screen
    TRD rear ducktail N2 spec wing
    TRD replica N2 Front / Rear arches and front air dam

Attached Files:

2. oli

oli -nightspirit-

:worthy:

have any power/torque figures or estimates?

3. Emil

Emil Active Member

Omg!!!!

4. Team_Dandism

Team_Dandism Member

At 1 bar my old AW11SC ran 190 with a good ARC intercooler, without the parasitic losses of the SC we think it should be able to get up to around 220-230bhp at 1 bar boost. The Turbo outlet temps and intercooler effciency are looking like we can maybe go up to 1.5bar, which I think would be up around 280-300bhp. The Turbos are IHI RHB6, similar to those used on the Masserati Bi Turbo, not ideal as getting parts for them will be a pain, bu they appear to be pretty useful so far. The bare kit from Vaz speed says it will be 200PS using the big alloy link pipe and no intercooler and 240-250PS with a front mount.

Time will tell. When the mapping is complete it'll go to a dyno if nothing else just to close out the question of what has been achieved.

I started building it for drifting, but think i might have a go at Time attack next year if i can get in. This year will be mainly trackdays and practice.

5. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Bloodyhell, twin turbo 1.6?! Whats it like regarding the powerband? They dont exactly look like tiny turbos.

Or is it some complex sequential job? (tho dont look like it in the pics)

VERY cool tho, nice one.

6. DeBastaard

DeBastaard Keyboard-Drifter.

Very nice, first time i've ever seen a TT 4AGE , very nice.

Any movies?? hehe:)

7. Mad Cas

Mad Cas wrecked

Seen this 'in the metal' its awesome.

Oh, Matt you probably know this already but you can get a fidanza aluminum flywheel for the 4fag in 212mm (used to have one on my old 86, along with the helix 4 puck)

8. Team_Dandism

Team_Dandism Member

Power seams quite progressive to be honest, Its the 8.9:1 CR AE101 lump so it has quite a lot of Normally aspirated torque anyway. The turbos are full bore by about 2800rpm but have quite soft actuators so the boost ramps in under boost control from the VEMS, thats something that still needs more work to bring them in a bit quicker.

The difficulty is the gearing, I stupidly put a 4.778 diff in it, which means you need to change gear rather a lot. Am now thinking about switching to a 4.1 but we'll see how it goes for now.

God knows how long the halfshafts will last, it may end up with a liteace back end or something similar like Darrens SR20'd 86.

Massive thanks must go out to Dick and Dennis Bassom (races an 86 in the Toyo Mod Prod series), who've helped get the engine and a lot of the mechanical bits in correctly. It would've taken a lot longer without Dick doing a lot of the hard work. The ammount of custom and modded parts that have been made to make the thing work is a joke, but you get that when you embark on something like this.

9. DollyKean

DollyKean Lonely Doraiba

OH.....MY....GOD!!

Very Fuckin nice project, one of the wilder I've seen!!!

I'm really really impressed...

10. Ian.G

Ian.G 86 ColdTurkey

Glad to see its finally together man.

Thats gonna be awesome. We'll have to arrange some sort of AE86 trackday - will be like the old N2 weekend race series :thumbs:

11. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

2800rpm with 2 turbos on a 1.6? Fuck, good going mate, must be a lovely drive :thumbs:

12. rallyman1978

rallyman1978 hachiroku

wow - fair play thats a awesome build

ian - there a moves afoot over at eight-six.co.uk for a day at llandow :)

13. Sweeps

Sweeps Active Member

14. 86jay

86jay -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

Man its been a while I remember talking to you about it when I started turboing mine bet its fast now. :)

Jay

15. eight-six

eight-six Active Member

Nice Matt, long time in the mix. Looking really good!:thumbs:

Is that a MOT point, my N2 gets filled from the boot? :confused: Was thinking about setting it up to fill through the back rear quarter window

Front_lower_arms.

Ooo where did you get that from Matt? :thumbs:

Would the N2 will be ready to make an appearance at Japfest, let me know if your interested in coming along? :thumbs:

Cheers

James

16. Team_Dandism

Team_Dandism Member

The fuel filler was a pain in the arse to be honest. The MOT manual states that the fuel system has to be positively attached with no risk of leakage. My man didn't like the fact i was filling through the boot as i could spray the inside of the car with petrol etc. He wanted a bulkhead between the tank and the filler but thats not really practical in a hatch back so we ended up putting the tank underfloor with a rear filler. Guess it depends who you get. My man is also an MSA scruiteneer so is probably a lot stricter than most.

Would be up for Japfest if I'm around a N2 Levin with an N2 Trueno would be a first in the UK. we should get David Hollingers one over too, although the finish on his car would probs put mine to shame.

17. eight-six

eight-six Active Member

It’s the 19th of May mate, I have a few spare stand spaces so happy to accommodate your car. If you do want to come just let me know when you’re sure you can make it and I will sort you out with a pass to get into the stand area. All you will need to do is pay for your entry on the gate.

Both of your cars are going to put mine to shame, lol. Really impressed with what you have achieved, would love to see how well it goes as well. 4 of us are booked for a track session at Japfest, if you fancy joining the fun.

As Rich says I am looking to set something up and see if we can get an AE86 track day going on. Depending on how much interest we get we might be able to get exclusive use. Llandow is a basic track but they are cool with people drifting on circuit and well as people doing grip so it covers off a few bases. If we get exlcusive use we could run separate drift and grip sessions as well?

I am also seeing if I can find a place that will do timing. One idea is a (said in my best Banzi voice) AE86 Super Battle!! Basically a set of individual sprints were we hoon around a circuit to see who gets the best time. Just a bit of fun and nothing too competitive.

Cheers

James

18. Team_Dandism

Team_Dandism Member

Llandow is a fun little track, I used to sprint there in my Supercharger Mk1 MR2 before it expired. Could be up for that. Will check my calendar. I take it its at Castle Coombe?

19. jap-si

jap-si Active Member

japfest is yeah mate.

20. Emil

Emil Active Member

i just found out it was a twin turbo!!!!!!!!