My first RWD :)

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by griffo20022, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Lover

Lover 'El Pos'

that'll teach you to buy a volvo! Ghet a jap ha ha...

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

:euge::rolleyes:

3. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

:euge::euge::euge:

Ah well, not what you needed griffo, hope you get it sorted soon though! :smash::thumbs:

4. griffo20022

griffo20022 Active Member

I pitty the fool [​IMG] Anyway lol! Things are looking up for me getting the gearbox saturday with some luck :D and if i'm REALLY lucky then she'll be back on the road by sunday hell yer! Gonna take out the rest of the carpet and sound deadening while shes down and out. Must get some steel plating to do my bits of welding too lol! TSW alloys are going on temporarily too until I decide what to do with the Revo's All is good!

5. topi

topi KlutchKickKidz

6. griffo20022

Thought i'd carry on from my current project thread :)

Well pretty much since I've had the car I noticed it was a bit tappety on the top end of the engine and recently it started getting worse. After researching etc without actually looking at the engine apparently 16V lumps are common for the tappets to become a little noisy by becoming blocked up or failing.

So after talking with Bennett on here I didn't feel confident enough having a crack at them on my own as i'd never done them before so last week I took the car to him and he started taking the top apart and talking me through how to go about it. Although he realised when we got to taking the cams out Bennett noticed that there was an oil starvation problem in the exhaust side of the head which was the answer to the tapping. So it was decided we were gonna pull the engine out and do a rebuild on it!

So we put some thinner oil in just for the week and I used to car as little until today. I drove back down to Bennett where he started cracking on the engine ripping it out and pulling it apart, I helped out where I could along the way and now the engines on a stand and beheaded!

Plans are to rebuild the engine cleaning up the parts and replacing whatever needs replacing. I don't feel the need for anymore power so i'm not uprating anything, just want a nice reliable bit of poke :), we will bit tidying up bits and bobs but as said nothing major. The heads going to be sent away to be checked and refaced and Bennetts on about doing a bit of headwork where possible :) the engines gonna be all painted back up as it goes back together!

So as it is from today!

Image493-1.
    Nice hole in the engine bay lol!

Image492-1.
    Engine fresh out about to be jetwashed off

Image494-1.
    On the stand ready for playing with!

Image496-1.
    Beheaded bottom end

Image497-1.
    Head waiting to be sent away :)

During this my Minilites are going to be put on, got some rear pop out windows (thanks to Volvo360GLS) my passenger side bucket seat refitted now the floors painted up and fitting the passenger side 4point harness newly acquired :)

Watch this space :D

#46 griffo20022, Feb 23, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  7. Mattyboi

Mattyboi Active Member

Good work man!!!

Proper little project going on, plus you`ll learn loads from doing this:)

8. turbopete

turbopete Member

hi mate tried to pm u but ur full!

9. griffo20022

I know sorry! Just cleared it!

Yer Matt i've learnt a hell of a lot today just from watching Bennett do his thang! I'm looking forward to getting my hands grubby next weekend and having a play :) As for during the week i'm gonna be painting up some bits n bobs off the engine ready for the rebuild :)

10. griffo20022

Todays work from Lee (Bennett)!

DSC00197.
    Block in Primer

DSC00196.
    face of block cleaned and inspected to see if level. all ok.

DSC00194.
    sump removed now all cleaned and inspected. all ok.
    head sent off today inspected and reface waiting on results.

tomorrow paint block and fit shot blasted sump engine mount.
    start custom rocker cover.

and I shall be making a start on painting various components up in black to tidy em up a bit :D Don't even know what he's doing with the custom rocker cover myself yet lol!

11. griffo20022

Little bit more to add.

During the week I had a phonecall off Bennett with him saying "I know your gonna think i'm joking but somebody broke into your car last night" I didn't believe him at first lol, although this confirms it.

Luckily nothing looks like it's been taken which is good, although it's still the unnecessary hassle of having to change the window damnit! It'll be sorted either way though, like I say i'm glad nothing was taken as theres loads of parts in the car such as my minilites, carbs, pop out windows etc!

So today I went to Bennetts place and we had a little tat. Finished painting the block up and did a mock up of the new wheel idea lol.

I know the filters painted lol, but that's getting changed when the engines put back together anyway :)

a quick 'shop with em on the car...

volvo002Yellow.

Like I say that was a quick mock up, may even do the whole wheel black with just the yellow outer, not entirely sure yet (opinions would be good) hopefully going to get some sort of painting tent setup in my garden, get the compressor in there n have a crack at doing them with a proper air gun as opposed to rattle cans. The "short motor" should hopefully be put together during this week and next week should hopefully see the motor dropped in the car again yay!

#51 griffo20022, Mar 1, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  12. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

Sexy wheels mate :thumbs:

13. griffo20022

Another update from the Bennett man today! Slowly drawing closer to March DWYB day and it's nearly there! Can't wait!!!

DSC00200.

DSC00201.
    Super swanky shotblasted items :D

DSC00202.

DSC00203.
    Ripe surface for a bit of head ;)

DSC00204.

DSC00205.

DSC00206.
    Head fresh from being tested and skimmed!

DSC00207.
    Inlet manifold fitted

DSC00208.

DSC00209.
    Yummy carbs :smokin:

I shall be going down again saturday and helping out where I can with refitting the engine, shall hopefully have her home saturday and sunday will be a day of fitting glass lol! Still don't know what's going to happen with the rocker cover yet hehe!

Absolutely top work by Bennett:thumbs:

14. chunk

chunk Raging Alcoholic

Nice work guys :thumbs:

15. bell

bell Without patience

running it in at dwyb :s sketchy but hey the trailer will be there if ya need it

16. griffo20022

it'll be run in before then dude don't worry ;)

17. Frits

Frits Member

Looking good. Love it!

18. ringer

ringer HOOooo!

Sweet! What are the carbs? Ninja type affairs?

19. TomB

TomB Member

Bit OT mate, but in a few weeks time I will be breaking a Ren 19 16v with a 2.0 williams engine in if you want a good running spare?

20. griffo20022

Let me know nearer the time bud could be interested, if not depending on price may have a friend who is :thumbs:

Ringer: There Yamaha R1 carbs dude :)