F1

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Dubstar, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Pulsatingstar

Pulsatingstar -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

No, the only other option was to let Kimi have the chicane on the inside from miles back, and take a tighter entry line for exit speed. Would have had a far better approach to turn one probably gaining on the Ferrari but as it was it was all done on the brakes anyway.

2. Captain Muppet

Captain Muppet Pro-tard

Great, I sit through the whole dull procession and then fall asleep 5 laps from the end and miss the only interesting bit.

Why can't they make every corner worth watching by doing something interesting? There should be some kind of motorsport where judges give you zero points for being dull round corners but give you bonus points for doing cool interesting stuff, like overtaking while sideways with your tyres on fire...

3. Dan Goodyer

Dan Goodyer JasonRobertson

Fair enough but that's not against the rules.

Someone has hit the nail on the head already - when Hamilton went for the move at the chicane I think he expected Raikonnen to brake earlier than he did. Either way Hamilton got ahead during corner entry.

Basically Raikonnen 'sent it up the inside' not knowing if the car would stop or they would hit. Luckily he got the car stopped but crucially by this time Hamilton could not have tucked in behind him. If he'd hit the brakes he'd more than likely have spun, so he had no choice but to take the 'shortcut'. So he wasn't looking to cheat, he was forced into the 'shortcut'.

Once he'd taken the shortcut the rules basically say that you aren't allowed to gain an advantage. So he let Raikonnen back past. I think the point some people are missing is that Hamilton was massively faster than Raikonnen on that lap. The McLaren has an advantage over the Ferrari on the Prime tyres, let alone in the rain. If Hamilton had been patient and not gone for the overtake at the hairpin, it's likely he would have passed the Ferrari in exactly the same manner.

Anyhoo, said my bit now. :wack:

4. mazdachris

Here's the thing, regardless who was right or wrong in that situation, you'd have to say that as a call it's a marginal one and very open to personal interpritation. This is why I don't think it should be investigated - Motorsport is not a clear cut thing and under those circumstances it's very hard to predict how cars and drivers will react. A racing indident occured, and Hamilton took what he probably believed to be sufficient action to make things fair.

What I'm getting to is this - a few corners later, Hamilton and Raikkonen came up on Rosberg who was rejoining the track from a spin. Yellow flags were out, but both Raikkonen and Hamilton had to take avoiding action. As a result of this, Raikkonen actually passed Hamilton under a yellow flag. Unavoidable, most likely, but the point is this - overtaking another car under a yellow flag is a very clear cut violation of the rules, and one which should always be investigated, even if it's just for the stewards to say officially that it was ok because Raikkonen dropped the car moments later passing the lead back to Hamilton. Rules were broken in a much clearer and more obvious way than the incident at the chicane, and yet this wasn't investigated. Why?

5. Old Skool Cars

Old Skool Cars Active Member

Now that point i agree entirely with! yes he did overtake and one might suggest he met his fate a corner later when he ploughed off into the barriers but yes i agree he did overtake under and yellow (unavoidable or not) so i guess it remains never to be seen if Raikkonen would have let him back past cos he crashed out.

6. Captain Muppet

Captain Muppet Pro-tard

Too much red paint on the car.

7. jonocos

jonocos Member

I think some of you are missing the point of the penalty.

He broke 2 regulations and was penalised for it, these were Article 30.3(a) of the sporting regulations which states: DURING PRACTISE AND THE RACE, DRIVERS MAY USE ONLY THE TRACK AND MUST AT ALL TIMES OBSERVE THE PROVISIONS OF THE CODE RELATING TO DRIVER BEHAVIOUR ON CIRCUITS.

And Appendix L chapter 4 Article 2 (g) of the International Sporting Code: THE RACE TRACK ALONE SHALL BE USED BY DRIVERS DURING THE RACE.

So going by these regulations Hamilton continued to race the Ferrari whilst he was off track, thereby breaking the regs and gaining an advantage against a competitor who did not break those rules at the chicane. Had they both taken to the run off then no penalty or the same penalty could have been placed on any driver as they both commited the same offence.

I know Kimi passed Hamilton under a yellow flag earlier but Hamilton was actually off the track at the time so Kimi didnt break any rule on that one.

Anyway check this out YouTube - HAMILTON RAIKKONEN SPA 2008 ONBOARD CAMERA

Despite all the crap, them boyz got skillz :thumbs:

8. Shadowness

Shadowness aka Dan!

Awesome footage! God the handling changes just after a few spots of rain!

Can't see anything wrong with that at all. I get the argument that Hamilton wouldnt have been in a position to overtake if he had gone the correct way round the chicane, but still, he gave it back! So whats all the hoo haa about!?
    The FIA are just finding any reason to shit on McLaren!

9. Croww

Croww Member

The point isn't whether Hamilton broke the rules or not, because yes he did but, and this is a big but, how many other people used the tarmac which is off the track, how many times have people gained a position like that given it back and not been punished. Hamilton is British so ofcourse I want him to win but the FIA being unfair and not being consistant in its decissions is, in my opinion, ruining F1.

#69 Croww, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  10. Car Media

Car Media Doughnut eater

READ THIS EARLIER AND MADE ME GRIN :D

Got a Ferrari?

Not quite good enough at driving?

Are the other boys faster than you in the wet?

Then you need:-

Ferrari International Assistance (FIA)

This exclusive Ferrari-only membership club has many benefits. Including:-

- Anti overtaking assurance

Been overtaken? Feel a bit silly?
    Don’t worry, we’ll rule out the other party, even if it’s embarrassingly obvious that they’re faster than you

- Exclusive access to a secret ‘second lane’ in the pits

Just to make things a little bit easier we’ve arranged a private second lane , just for you

- Guaranteed world championship

Had a crash? Need to win the world championship? Don’t worry just limp across the track and take off your nearest championship title contender – we’ll do the rest

- A bit strapped? Need extra cash?

Simply get one of your team to tell someone else how you make your cars.

- Bits falling off your car? Looking a bit dangerous/risking a black flag?

At Ferrari International Assistance we operate a ‘blind eye’ policy just for Ferrari drivers

- Been a bit silly? Taken off another driver after following the safety car?

It’s ok, as long as you didn’t hurt yourself. I mean, who are Force India anyway? And how dare they be in front of you..

-A bit bored? Want some extra action?

With FIA plus you can take part in a number of additional membership activities at our discreet premises in Chelsea... [Full CCTV.]

- Not sure when you might need us next?

Relax. Check out our track record. We’re confident that we’ll be able to make something up on the spot that will get you out of any pickle that you might find yourself in

Ferrari International Assistance

Making it up as we go along for over 100 years

:nod::smash::D:nod::smash:

11. MTW

MTW LOLOCAUST

ha ha class

12. ducatichick

ducatichick Drift Spice

people are forgetting here that had hamilton NOT tried to out-break kimmi into this corner...he would be RIGHT UP HIS ARSE!!!!!!

No unfair advantage imo! Total bollox.. Anyway Kimi crashed of his own accord-with nothing to do with hammy...put it back and let ferarri earn the wins instead of giving them away...

total bullshit!

13. chunk

chunk Raging Alcoholic

I'm certainly not an F1 fan and i cant honestly remember when i watched a F1 race last, but i happened to see the last 10 laps or so of the this one.

I cant honestly believe that the FIA have docked Hamilton of 25 secs! Utter utter shite IMHO!

Cockjockeys!

14. ducatichick

ducatichick Drift Spice

also interesting they discluded the fact hamilton had to take forever bouncing over the grass lol-he didn't do that on purpose and still stayed in front... kimi is shite in the rain...everyone including himself knows it...

15. alex_200sx

alex_200sx Active Member

Yeah, think back to Silverstone in the wet (GP not Trax) Hamilton owned everyone and the ferraris were throwing themselves off left right and centre.

16. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.