old supra any good for drifting ???? help advice lol

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Big-gareth, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Big-gareth

Big-gareth dori wanabe :)

have a look at this what u think would it be any good for drifting ?? want it as my 1st proper skid car forgetting the old omega lol.

just peoples thoughts and comments would help

(quote)
    3 litre single turbo supra with all these extras
    full koni suspension
    hks blow off valve
    greedy boost controler
    boost guage
    full turbo back stainless exhaust
    k+n induction kt
    alloy intake pipe
    upgrade airflow meter
    new hks tripple layer metal head gasket not even on yet
    arp head bolts
    nissan 350z wheels with as new tyres
    alloy adjustable strut brace
    skimmed and pressure tested head from smiths ballymena
    The car has the head removed at present and has been skimmed and preassure tested so if you buy now you know that the right head gasket and studs will be used, when finnished would make an awesome drift car, or if wished could be mot'd for the road.
    (quote)

would be intreasted in this but dont know what there like so any comments or advice would be greatly apreacited and also are there a wide range of tuneing parts avalable for these ??? :D:D

Thanks Gareth:dw::dw:

2. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

main problem on these cars is shit head gasket and crappy head bolts, so if these are getting replaced with proper ones then it should make an excellent car :nod: capable of 400bhp without to much grief so i've been told :thumbs:

3. Big-gareth

ohhhhh good good yeh there will be a steel headgasket and arp head bolts with it so you think with these on itll be a good skid car.:D

4. cookwibble

cookwibble Active Member

sounds like a nice spec. they are good cars, apart from the headgasket issues as mentioned. heavy but that just makes things different, not impossible. they are not worth big money tho!

5. Big-gareth

yeh its at the right price so i think itll be ok might go with my mechanic 2moro 2 see her so i may have a new skidder soon :D:D

6. caged

caged Drift Gibbon

theres a SHED load of weight to be lost if you're committed enough.

weld the diff, lower it, strip it (properly), rack spacers and get it on.

mines great fun.

cheap as chips too

7. Big-gareth

is there lots to strip and what u mean by rack spacers and get it on. sorry if im a dumb ass :D

8. caged

caged Drift Gibbon

rack spacers are spacers or washers that go inbetween the inner tie rod and the rack, serch around on this forum for more info.

lots to strip - the interior weighs a ton alone - il let you figure out th rest.

and get it on as in lets get it on! get her drifting!

PA252373.

9. neil a walker

neil a walker Active Member

their about as heavy as a e46 m3, so as long as your power to weight ratio is improved, will be an epic car.Soo much stuff that can be removed from these!
    people think their huge, but when we had one parked next to my s13 their was about a foot difference between them in length.
    As standard turbo model has an oil cooler and plate type lsd fitted, ct26A turbo is pretty big and tops out at about 12 psi on standard ecu and injectors.
    as they run about 6psi standard boost with restrictive exaust much can be improved. Always worth getting a uprated fuel pumpTonnes of aftermarket from america that could be had for a steal
    gearbox is coffin nail r154, so no changes needed there. uprated clutch for peice of mind
    7mgte is a good engine, just was undertorqued from factory, but lots of portential, intake manifold is a bit gay,similar side mount to a rb25, so the intercooler pipework has the long route through the drivers side inner wing, if you were feeling flush/creative a nice inlet plenum would shorten the boost pipes and allow a better intercooler, but up to a point the standard cooling system is ok for the job, providing you can get the air to it, so opening up the bumper a bit wouldnt hurt.
    Its an 80's jz really, so can be tickled for more and more power, A stand alone ecu and uprated cooling system later down the line would vastly improve the car to a decent level, along with some drift spec coilovers and uprated bushes and bit more lock.
    tbh, wish i got one of these instead of my s13 sometimes, as toyoya really know how to over engineer a car

10. caged

caged Drift Gibbon

mine is now 1320kg for reference with a 57 / 43 FR weight split

11. cptsideways

cptsideways Active Member

Its basically the same chassis as my Soarer just about 8" shorter, so yes it will work just sweet. Some additional lock, shocks & some powers job done

12. Big-gareth

ohhh im gettin excited now so i deffo deffo want this car now :D:D

now that the laurel is away and ive cleared up dept with mum and dad i have some free money so i may just take this and make a project outa it :p happy days :D

13. Greg

Greg Member

If the engine fails you can always convert it to a 1jzgte as the jap mk3 supra's came with them as standard so not that complicated to do:thumbs:

14. Big-gareth

wohooo 1jzgte :smokin:

sounds like a plan if the engine does fail lol

15. mav

mav Active Member

Good cars just prone to headgasket failure as they werent torqued tight enough at the factory also watch out for bottom end failure and RUST!!

16. Big-gareth

yep bita rust on her ive been told its round the rear arches but i dont think its that bad

17. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

I got offered, and had a chance to drive a 1JZ Supra while I was looking at my old s14. I wish to god I'd bought it now. Didn't really know what i was looking at at the time but it was epic. Really nice car to drive. If the normal version's even half as good you'll have fun.

18. MJG

MJG Active Member

My mk3 supra was a great car to drive and didn't really feel very heavy, and that was a crappy N/A! Very little lock as standard but fantastic driving feel and seating position etc. Just the front and rear bumper support bars alone weigh about 20kg+!

19. rhdjapan

rhdjapan New Member

70 Supra's are good cars, remember, they're Toyota haha.

Strong bodies too. Had a friend get rear ended. He didn't realize it until a few minutes later, thinking he stalled:wack: Like everyone else has said, just go 1JZ or 2JZ when the engine dies