My S14.5 Spec RB

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by TriniGT, Jan 13, 2010.

1. TriniGT

TriniGT Member

My S14.5 Now SR Powered

It has been a long road, a five year long road. I purchased a rolled S14 kouki about five years ago and have been modding the body for a while now and have done a conversion making it to an S15. Front was fitted without problem but the more difficult part is the cabin and door area and the dash fitting. Got a back half so got most parts from it for the conversion. Car has come back form the panel beaters and looks alright :euge:. Reason for doing the conversion is that the S14 came as a rolled car but the chassis was straight so started getting parts for a widebody kouki but then scored parts for the rear of the S15 so decided to give it a shot. As of the last five months I gathered most exterior and set about getting it done. It was nervewrecking but came out okay in the end. This is the plan for it,

Exterior -
    S14-to-S15- Conversion
    Origin Bodykit
    Ganador Mirrors (also have Craftsquare but indecisive)
    Nismo Quad Vented CF Bonnet
    GTR wheels
    JDM Tinted Tailights
    Hopefully CF Trunklid

Interior -
    Front Recaro Seats
    Recovered Rear Seats and door interior
    Aftermarket Deep Dished Steering wheel
    EPR CF S15 Stereo and Shifter Surround

Electronics -
    Nismo Instrument Panel
    AEM Wideband
    Power FC D-Jetro

Engine -
    S15 SR20DET
    S15 Six Speed Gearbox
    Greddy Sump
    HKS Intake Setup
    Greddy Intake Manifold
    Blitz Intercooler
    Custom Intercooler Piping
    Omori Oil Filter Relocator

Brakes -
    Brembo R34 Four Pot Front Calipers
    Brembo R34 2 Pot Rear Calipers
    Braided Brakelines F+R
    GTR32 Brake Booster and Cylinder
    R33 Handbrake setup with brake shoes setup and new R33 handbrake cables
    R33 Hubs on S15 Knuckles

Suspension -
    Driftworks RLCAs
    Driftworks RUCAS
    Driftworks Traction Arms
    Driftworks Toe Arms
    Driftworks Aluminum Bushings
    Driftworks Front Tension Rods
    Driftworks/HSD CS2 Coilovers
    SPL FLCAs
    Reinforced Rear Subframe

Will update the list as thing progress, now some pics of work thus far,
    Engine Bay Shot,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Side Shot,
    [​IMG]
    My Favourite, the Booty!!!
    [​IMG]
    Front Suspension - Driftworks Tension Rod, SPL LCA and Driftworks Coilovers
    [​IMG]
    Rear suspension - Driftworks RUCAS, LCAs, Traction Rods, Toe Arms, Aluminum Collars, Reinforced Subframe and Driftworks Coilovers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cusco Rear Strut Bar,
    [​IMG]
    Interior
    [​IMG]
    Recaros and Front Bumper
    [​IMG]

#1 TriniGT, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. jamespayne5

jamespayne5 Active Member

Do you have any pics of the actual body conversion?

3. TriniGT

TriniGT Member

Not really, it was a frustrating thing as it went to three different shops that attempted it. The front was not bad but the doors were a bit of work and well the rear was not too bad as I used most of the rear half on it and strengthened the entire thing. The lower door sill area had to be grafted from a crashed S15 that was had for parts as well.

Surprisingly there are only small differences in the S14 and S15 flooring, the handbrake setup is really similar but the center console needs some brackets as it currently does not sit proper.

#3 TriniGT, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  4. TriniGT

TriniGT Member

Cleaned the RB block last night, damn after the skimming of the block for straightness it sure left a lot of gunk everywhere throughout the block. I removed all the water and oil jackets aka welsch plugs and soaked the entire block with purple blaster and left it for half an hour to really get into the grease and old oil. Came back with the pressure washer and round one began. Lots of swarf that was stuck up all over came off. After washing I further inspected and found some more stuck on the inside of the block so I soaked again and washed again. The entire inner walls are now clean. I blasted the oil and water galleries but I want to go over everything again today just before engine assembly with some soapy warm water. That way it can penetrate and then once washed with warm water as well will disappear and not collect anywhere. After that I will need to spray the oil galleries with some WD40 and then blast them with the compressor to clean properly.

I will fit the Tomei oil restrictor and also begin cleaning the stock 'baffling plates' that attach to the girdle as they are oily and didn't want to clean them as they would have surely rusted. I am going to also clean up the water galleries on the block to allow a better flow around the cylinder walls. I have already widened the stock oil drain holes in the sump as specified by Tomei for the installation of the Tomei Baffling kit so Sump will be cleaned thoroughly with a wirebrush and some purple blaster and then blasted as well. I forgot to add the aluminum fitting for the oil drain back on the sump so I will get it attached today before final assembly starts. Bought the Redline Assembly Lube from tuner Imports for assembly so everything looks like a go.

First assembly will be the block, CP 86mm pistons, Stock GTR Rods with ARP connecting rod bolts, Cosworth Rod and Main Bearings and ARP Main Studs and also Tomei Oil Pump and all new seals and gaskets. Cranks has alreayd been checked and is A ok so assembly on the block should be fine. Was thinking as soon as the block has been washed in the warm water I will prime it and paint it same time in black lacquer paint and reattach the new water and oil jackets. The warmth of the block will help the paint hold much easier. I will get pics of the block today, I was quite please with the outcome this morning. Cylinders were oiled so that they would not get rust or oxidize while left unattended, so too were bearing grooves. On finall assembly the groove will need no oiling but a thorough cleaning and some thinners to dry the area for a proper seat with the bearing. also have all my torquing specs for all studd new and old waiting, some a five step torquing process and other three and other two. That's it for now

5. Mattolodis

Mattolodis Active Member

Im sorry i love s15's but im sure everyone is thinking WHY :wack:

6. Dylan

Dylan JZS14FTW

I actually thought it was an s15 at first glance. did they weld the complete rear half of the the car onto the s14???? even the roof line looks like a s15

cool project
    :thumbs:

7. TriniGT

TriniGT Member

At the time I got the car I was going with an S14 widebody. Bought the entire kit and then came across an S15 back half at an awesome price and wondered if it would have been possible to do a conversion and be different. Getting the front conversion is a pretty easy thing so I went about tryign to get it done and sold off all the S14 widebody parts.

Here is a pic of the widebody parts,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Front fenders were on the car at the time.

S14's and S15s cannot be imported into the country anymore because there is a strict timeframe for the car to be imported of four years. anything older is to come in as parts only not as a road car. I had a rolled registered S14 with a straight chassis and had an opportunity to try the S15 conversion so gave it a shot. Car was from shop to shop for the last five years as money, time and workmanship held back the entire process. Finally got some of all the above after my new job and hopefully should have it on the road in a month or two. Just wanted clear up any misunderstandings ;).

8. Jeffers_S13

Jeffers_S13 Member

That is dedication :wack:

Did the machine shop not have a hot wash you could stick the block in ? Get all the core plugs out, like you've done, and let it sit in there for a half hour then blast the bejesus out of it with a really high pressure airline, repeat until you are confident it's all out...:smash: (well 99.9%) Getting all the swarf out is a total PITA.

9. TriniGT

TriniGT Member

Yep got a roofline, back half and the usual front half. The hardest part was working the doors as the door sill area is different so had to get a pair and have it fitted. Everything seals properly. Interior-wise the only fitment problem I have come across is the center console as it does not bolt on fully. I tihnk it turned out good enough from where it came though but will still always be an S14 conversion ;). Hoping to have most of the engine done by end of next week.

10. TriniGT

TriniGT Member

Well over here proper shops are not common and they are not thorough. I prefer do everything I can myself hence the reason I cleaned it. That is the first and second round of cleaning, today I will be going it over again to ensure that everything is out as I forgot ot remove the turbo oil and water bolts from the holes, should be fun :wack:. And yes getting the swarf out is a real PITA. When I thought I was done lastnight I found more gunk on the inner walls of the crank area.

#10 TriniGT, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  11. TriniGT

TriniGT Member

So I have bad news after some months of silence, RB is out the door after much deliberation. It will be built and swapped into my ER34 GTT. Now some updates, reason for the change of engine is that I want to run my clutch fan setup, A/C and that would require me trimming the upper radiator support and rerouting my harnesses which I don't wanna do at this point. So I stuck in an S15 SR20DET lump.

So gonna try and capture what was done over time.
    Rear end shot, was still waiting on diff and engine and drivertrain setup,
    [​IMG]
    Got my Auto R33 Viscous LSD, what you said 4.364 ratio (yikes)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My reinforced rear subframe and R33 diff with ABS sensor installed. Oh what is that, yes Driftworks suspension bits :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Driftworks Tension Rods, SPL FLCAs, Earls Braided Brakelines and of course some HSD love and no the lame ass spacers were not used.
    [​IMG]
    Nismo Instrument Cluster (check), steering wheel has since been replaced with a factory S15 wheel but is being kept as backup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally the car has a heart, just need to give it some life,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fitted some VS-XX 18X8.5/9.5 +31/+45mm, front needs spacers,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Front wheel rubbing on Brembo Caliper. these are R34 GTR Brembos and no they came in that condition, still to be painted. And they are going on the ER34 GTT and the GTT brakes on the Silvia.
    [​IMG]
    Wheels fitted,
    [​IMG]
    Engine has since been started after five years of not having nothing in the engine bay and all done by myself in my front yard. Was a proud day to hear her rumble on a first try after swapping an entire S15 wiring for engine/interior and trunk interior. Since then I have ripped out the front fibreglass fenders as they fit like crap and fitted OEM metal ones. I have a couple of fitment issues but it will all get sorted I am sure. Front Origin bumper has been fitted along with my Nismo Quad vented CF bonnet and DRFT tailights. The engine has a couple of addons added by myself namely, Greddy Intake, Greddy Sump, HKS Intake Pipe and Filter setup, Blitz FMIC and custom piping, Apexi Power FC L-Jetro, 3" Downpipe and 3" J-pipe. Things to go on still are 740CC injectors, Z32 MAF, Koyo Radiator, 3" Exhaust and then boost controller and a final tune. A couple of pics with the bumper fitted (Origin Kit BTW).
    Intercooler fitted,
    [​IMG]
    Clearance made for Washer Bottle, I may either have to run the pipe above the bracket or relocate the wahser bottle to the trunk if the fender shield does not fit.
    [​IMG]
    Front bumper fitted, sorry poor pics, a little oil leak as seen below, should be fixed today ;),
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let me know your thoughts on the progress thus far. Should have some more updates in time.

#11 TriniGT, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  12. TriniGT

TriniGT Member

Car started first try after having the car parked for five years with no wiring. S15 entire car wiring was swapped into the S14 and everything works without a problem. Everything was done in my frontyard by myself, only thing that was done outside was getting her painted and it still needs to be back out to get a respray. Thing I am afraid of is getting overspray on my suspension bits, I will really have to personally wrap the bits and remove what I can for the job.

13. TriniGT

TriniGT Member

Well after months of having the car up on stands I decided to bite the bullet and put her on the ground and somewhat set my ride height. Funny thing is that the adjustment of the coilovers to obtain the proper ride height had me adjusting nearly all on one side and half on the other which I found was weird. It still needs adjusting properly but it is much better than it was and the rear, especially the passenger rear, has some serious camber which when I get some time I will sort out. What was even more exciting was that I drove the car in my yard, no brakes at all so with the help of the handbrake I was able to manouvre the car to a better spot. All I can say is the 4.37 diff is quite aggressive. Finally in the last five years this was my first time actually reversing the car and parking her. Even had wifee in for the first move, she was actually half proud of me. Only took a couple shots and no I have still not sorted the brakes but I did mount the Brembos to the front of the car, still waiting to pickup the rear setup but for now I may just run stock Nissan two pot calipers.

I need to get proper brake hard lines as the ones I have are too short and too long, I may cut the longer ones and flare the ends to suit, we'll see. I have a plan to somehow align the front of the car properly which entails elongating the fender holes and sliding the front nose section of the car to the passenger side, in so doing leaving the upper area in the same position and the lower area by the headlight in the proper positon. We'll see how that one goes. Anyway here are some pics, does not look like much propgress but I still need to wait on the painter to give me a repsray. Once that is completed then it is time for the power FC, Z32 MAF, boost controller, turbo timer and defi gauges and an oil cooler and a road tune followed by a dyno tune to clean up anything.

When she first came off the stands, yes the front needed some lowering
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Did some adjusting on the coilovers but I wanna let it settle first then I will adjust some more,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. TriniGT

TriniGT Member

Is it common for the adjustment on the coilovers to be much different for both sides of the vehicle? Besides removing the helper spring on the passenger side I have next to no adjustment to further lower it, the driver side still has room for lowering though. What do you suggest?

15. TriniGT

TriniGT Member

Any help is appreciated.

16. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

wait... this is an S14?

I call BS. show me the VIN plate.

17. TriniGT

TriniGT Member

Haha no probs will get it later. You can also look at the location of the plate on the firewall, the S15 is situated to the left of the engine bay in the corner, the S14 is situated directly above the brake booster.
    S14,
    [​IMG]
    My S15 before I sold her, always regretted this sale
    [​IMG]

18. TriniGT

TriniGT Member

Can someone help me here. I have almost used all the adjustment on the coilover and I still have about a finger gap between the wheel and the fender. Is it advisable to remove the helper spring?

19. balang_479

balang_479 Member

Wow, im with mitto on this one, totally looks like an S15... front clip an all.... if it genuinely was an S14 i am astounded.

20. TriniGT

TriniGT Member

Car was down for the last five years due to darn garages givign me hell. The flooring on both models is almost identical, only issues I had was the center console is not bolting to the floor as the bolt holes are different so I will need a bracket to fix that issue. The door sill area, pillar, roofing, rear were all changed as the S14 was damaged pretty bad. The doors also needed the hinge area replaced as the S14 hinge boltup is different to the S15 where the bolt holes are horizontal and the S14 are vertical.

I initially was going with a widebody S14 then parted it out after getting a back half and most of the interior bits. The door framing was moded a bit too using S15 front and rear sections so that the door would fit properly and the same time having the dash fit properly. I basically got most parts from the back half to complete the rear conversion and reinforced everything and then tackled the front with a front half I purchased transferring the sill area and front engine bay area and then reinforcing it as well. Bought new quarter glasses from a fellow in the US and still in the process of fixing the interior as the door interior is not the best. The back half had the rear glass in tact so left it as is when the conversion was done but now I am thinking I will remove it for the final repsray to get a cleaner job. But can someone please answer my HSD coilover adjustment question above?