Z32 300zx Twin Turbo Drift Project

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Cowpatmatt, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

Hey,:wave:

Thought I should start a thread about my Nissan Z32 300zx Twin Turbo.
    I have had the car for a couple of years but I took it off the road last year because I was made redundant.

My plan is to get the car to Pro drift spec ready for comps next year. at least this will give me time to do some testing.:D

I have to take the engine out as it has a nice dent in the sump which has caused low oil pressure which in turn has cause my turbos to smoke like a beast.
    So another engine and turbos will be going back in with new engine loom and alloy radiator, Bigger oil cooler. With some other drift related parts like hicas lock and tein track rods with SPL parts ends. Looking into getting an Accusump too.

Bits so far.

Z1 Motorsports Lightweight Flywheel and Clutch
    Braided Clutch Line
    Divorsed Turbo Elbows
    Straight Through Main Pipes (De-cat)
    Veilside Catback System
    Twin Dumpvalves
    Silicone Hose
    FMIC - Not fitted yet
    Gauges - Oil pressure, Oil temp, Water Temp and Boost
    Uprated ECU
    Enkei split rim 17" wheels
    Yellow stuff pads
    Tein Coilovers
    Rear Strutbrace
    Driftworks subframe collars
    Big :euge: spoiler
    Sure there is more but cant remember.

Obviously I will need to get other bits like Rollcage, Bucket seats ect..

Here are some crappy pics:thumbs:

DSCF2003.
    DSCF2002.
    DSCF2001.
    DSCF2000.
    DSCF1999.

2. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

UPDATE 5/4/2010!!

Made a start of mocking up the FMIC and the removal of the old tiny SMIC's. Got a few pics here for you all to look at. Have not finished fitting it yet as i need to make some minor tweeks here and there to get it to fit 100%.

I have also taken out the old aircon rad as it will no longer be used. this will help with a bit more airflow over everything also done a quick fix with the cutting of the standard front bumper. I will get a new bumper at some point but to save a bit of cash this will do for the moment.

I will have to remove everything again soon for when i take the engine out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bumper not bolted on yet as it needs a bit of trimming around the area of the boost pipes.

#2 Cowpatmatt, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  3. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

save for more updates

4. nissanr34cal

nissanr34cal Well-Known Member

i love it, it looks awsome

5. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

^^Update^^
    Also got a brand spanking new engine harness come the other day ready for when i fit the new good engine. Should make it alot easier rather than pissing around with shitty 20 year old connectors.

6. Rhys_sx

Rhys_sx -NightWalkers-

be cool to c one of these skidding

7. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

Yeah should be good. I love the car and the way it drives. will be nice to have something a little different compared to the normal s14/14/15, skyline stuff.

8. THICK SOUP

THICK SOUP Active Member

Exactly why I'm building mine up. I love the why mine drove (when it worked lol) & the looks.

9. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

Hopefully i will be taking the engine out this weekend and then i can make a start of cleaning and re-paint the engine bay, and get rid of the rest of the aircon crappy pipes. Will get some underseal sorted for it too. I know i have got alot of work to do but it will be worth it in the end.
    Its all the little jobs that will take time like underseal, engine bay, cleaning and painting other bits like calipers, subframes, wishbones ect.. endless bits and bobs to keep me busy...lol

10. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

Another update.
    This weekend i have been taking the engine and box out. Forgot how many nuts, bolts and wires i needed to undo:wack:
    Had a bit of a stupid moment and couldnt get the gearbox off. After 45mins of shaking and pulling on the gearbox i noticed 1 hidden bolt holding it all still on :o lol
    But anyway i finally got it off and engine is out now. Made a start of taking the bits and bobs out the engine bay ready for a good hose down and clean. I want to repaint the engine bay but it might be a royal pain in the arse getting all the different hardlines out the way just to paint. So i might just clean and treat any rusty bits and touch up with a little paint.
    Too be honest you cant see fuck all of the engine bay when the engine is in anyway.
    While i am at it i will delete things like the carbon canister and HICAS bits clutering up the already cramped bay.
    Here are a couple of pics:thumbs::dw:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

Not much of an update but what i have been doing (getting some pics up soon when i find the camera.)

I have given the engine bay a clean and tidy up ready for new lump to go in.
    Degreased the gearbox and gave the exhaust a polish.
    Gave it a good coat of underseal waxoil stuff so it looks nice and fresh on its belly.
    Come across a couple of problems like trying to get the old bushes out the rear hub knuckles for the hicas is a pain, not sure how i can do this without taking the knuckles completely off.
    While i was in that area i found that my passenger side rear tein coilover locking collars for the springs are crumbling to bits. I grabbed it with my hand and half of it came off with no real force...lol. Lucky i noticed it. I didnt really want to get new coilovers just yet as i was going to stick with these until they completely died and i had a bit more spare cash.

I will be taking the interior out soon so my electric leather seats will be forsale if anyone wants them!?

I still have alot of work to do but i am sure it will be great when i get it done.

cheers
    Matt

12. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

Here are a couple of pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see the coilover has seen better days.
    [​IMG]

13. haza88

haza88 Active Member

jeeesus them coilovers are fucked lol

liking the build tho be good to see one of these skidding, something different

14. Sturge

Sturge Active Member

Sweet looking car, Ive always wanted to drive one of these, my day will come lol.

very understated car IMO, I always remember a maxpower DVD i had back in the day, where there were a couple of these doing dohnuts etc in an arena, looked and sounded sweet!

What power is the stock engine good for?

15. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

stock engine with exhaust and filter plus a little boost and chip almost 400 american hp.
    Change injectors is vital though to be honest as they are only 370cc as standard. so you can get some 555 nismo jobbies and boost to about 15psi with a good tune to get over 400. It has forged crank and rods as standard so they are good for 550-600 with the right tune, turbos ect... but alot of the engine are getting tired after that its a good idea for better pistons and cams then the sky is the limit.
    The race cars used the standard block and heads and made over 1100hp easy.
    But they will run standard out the box 300bhp all day long no sweat. Chuffing quick standard.
    I know alot of people moan about the so called low standard power for the size and type of engine but what they forget is that these cars were the first to conform to the jap rules of a max hp of 280-300.

16. Sturge

Sturge Active Member

engine worth putting into an sbody? like the s13 rb25 conversions do you think?

17. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

been done before a few times. was some geeza on here who had one.

18. Toolman

Toolman Member

Looking good bud!
    Front end looks sweet in that pic at night!

Will be great to see the end result and see/hear it screaming :D

With what you were saying about meeting up for a chat, don't know if you've seen but DJCC have secured a spot for the Quay For My Car on the 28th May 2010.
    It's an evening Event On Poole Quay with a club slot for up to 80 cars!
    I put my name down earlier, costs £1.50 to have a spot for your car.
    There's only 3 or so places left so if you fancy it could meet up at that as should be a good night!

19. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

Yeah sounds good. Just paid for my place. Shame my car isnt exactly show and shine but who cares.

20. gtr-zx

gtr-zx New Member

hi m8, do you need an engine? as i have one sitting about, iv been down this root to build a drift bitch, iv thrown in a fully forged gtr lump and cut into pickup. thats the reason i have an engine looking for a new home, was running 470bhp at the wheels before i pulled it out, i had intended to re-build for more power but the gtr lump just seemed more fun...any how look hear Unique performance uk - Home see if i can offer help or parts cheers.TAZ.