S14 auto, any good??

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Furyblade_Lee, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Furyblade_Lee

Furyblade_Lee New Member

Hi everyone, bit new to this drifting scene and have been offered by a friend a Nissan S14 auto, all i know is its on an 'm' plate and its white! but supposedly a good one. before I look at it, whats the potential of it if it is an auto??? What type of auto box is it, are they a semi manual or anything??? If they are no good for drifting can it be converted to a manual box cheaply? And would it have an LSD as standard? Its cheap as its a part x and would save me learning in my "main" car. Help any ideas? Cheers

2. Pulsatingstar

Pulsatingstar -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

I wouldnt bother with an auto.

S14's are not too expensive now so whilst it could be converted, its probably easier to buy a manual in the first place.

S14 LSD's are a bit pants, but ok once the car is moving. They seem to vary a lot though some are good some not so good.

Im not sure auto cars even have an LSD? I dont know how torque convertors and stuff works on them.

3. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Lee,
    the autos will really suck for drifting :( You will just find it frustrating and limiting.
    It is possible to convert auto to manual, but the list of bits you need is quite a bit longer than you'd expect..... In my opinion it's only worth doing if the auto car is either exceptionally good or exceptionally cheap.
    All S14's will have a viscous LSD which is fine for getting started, but you will likely want to swap it if you get to the stage where you're serious about competition events or want to take your driving that extra stage further.
    hope this helps :)

4. Furyblade_Lee

Furyblade_Lee New Member

thanks!

Cheers guys, thanks for the quick response, think i will give it a miss then! :smash: :wave: