Addicted

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by r32, Sep 5, 2010.

1. r32

r32 Member

So after a few years with this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I swapped everything into this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Turned it into this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I decided it was time to throw in the towel, I stripped the car and sold off most of it, left only with the engine, ecu and race seats.

In the mean Time I bought a rolling r32 sedan (my 7th r32 skyline) from a friend who needed the money to buy a tig welder. it was a factory manual gts shell, repainted red, rolling on 5 stud and fitted with a rb25det long block.

I had the shuts and engine bay painted matching red, bought and fitted: an rb20det gearbox and drive shaft, 3inch exhaust, FMIC kit, fibreglass front bar, a pair of racetech 100s and some enkei rp01s and got her up and running with the intention of selling it to make a bit of cash.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After having the car on the market for a couple months and only having dreamers contact me about buying it I figured Id always wanted a red r32 and that I may aswell keep the car.

After selling the Silvia shell my boss asked me what I was going to do over summer if I wasnt going to enter the drifting. I pondered this question for a day or so and thats when I realised I was addicted.

The interior was stripped and the car sent to Simon for a cage. I figured I would compete on the cheap using a near standard rb25det for a bit of fun. After a night on the piss and some entertaining discussions my friends and I determined that the rb just wasnt going to be enough, so out it came.

I fitted the complete driveline, FMIC, exhaust etc into another r32 sedan shell I had reacquired from a mate after he had some bastard steal it off him and strip it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After fitting a new set of seat belts and getting a WOF and Reg I put her up for sale.

2. r32

r32 Member

Now back to the action:

I bought some vertex side skirts and had them painted up, Had the silvias wheels painted and bolted them on
    [​IMG]
    Stuck the car up on the hoist and got to work
    [​IMG]
    In went the silvias modified front subframe and engine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    An new t56 (as I had sold the tr6060:S)
    [​IMG]
    I rigged up a new exhaust system
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fit some new adjustable rear arms (because I sold my old ones:S)
    [​IMG]
    Tom painted the cage for me, Gold to match the Chev badge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then I spent a few hours chipping out the sound deadening
    [​IMG]
    And discovered a horrible frame rail repair while i was at it
    [​IMG]
    And this is how she sits now
    [​IMG]

I have 12 days until the 1st round of drift south, The drive shaft is away being made, I have connected the fuel lines and heater hoses, next up is the wiring for the Link, finishing the exhaust, painting the interior and then reassembly. 12days, easy

#2 r32, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  3. V-con Pro

V-con Pro Active Member

car looks sick! but i perfer engines that can rev over 6k

4. Papercutout

Papercutout Active Member

That's pretty awesome! I've got to get my stuff organised pretty shifty once I get to NZ if I'm going to come and watch Drift South it would appear!
    Hope to see you there (I land in Auckland on Thursday), and skidding! Good luck mate.

5. Jamess

Jamess Member

What posessed you to put your rear bumper on the front of your car??

Skyline looks great btw.

6. darksyde

darksyde New Member

badass. thats the way to go. any problems with steering column clearance? looks like a nice fit

7. counteract

counteract -o=me

I like it!

When you had the Onevia, did the PS bonnet fit with no problems?

8. r32

r32 Member

V-con- Cheers. You can prefer whatever you like, a stock ls1 will rev to 6800 easily and make more power stock than an rb26 without the downfalls of turbocharging

Papercutout- sweet, first round is 18th of sep at Ruapuna

Jamess - I needed a bumper that was more square to achieve the muscle car look lol

Darksyde - Engine fits in nicely but I had a lot of dramas with the steering column fit, as the starter, headers and steering all want to be in the same small amount of space, the simple solution would be to get a lh side starter relocation kit like the hotrod boys use.

Counteract - the s13 and 180sx bonnets are interchangeable, I just didnt have one so i left the s13 bonnet on, mated up to the guards and front bar perfectly.

cheers guys

#8 r32, Sep 7, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  9. R32Drifter

R32Drifter Member

tidy car mate!

10. V-con Pro

V-con Pro Active Member

stock ls1 make 180kw and less torque than an rb30 on 10psi =) but good luck.

11. r32

r32 Member

First of all lets note how I said a stock ls1 makes more power than a stock rb26(Not a modified rb30)

Second according to the internet lol Early RB26dett produced around 280 HP (206 kW) @ 6800 rpm and 260 ft•lb (353 N•m) @ 4400 rpm. The last series of the RB26DETT produced 280 PS (206 kW) @ 6800 rpm and 289 ft•lb (392 N•m) @ 4400 rpm

Where as the LS1 was rated at 350 hp (260 kW) and 365 lb·ft (495 N·m) since 2001 (LS6 Intake), 1997-2000 350 lb·ft (470 N·m) which all seem to excede the rb26.

Third Rb30dets arent a factory engine, so the comparison doesnt really count.

Anyway, you are entitled to believe what you want, ive owned both and I certainly prefer the v8 over the tempermental 26

12. r32

r32 Member

Update.

Well on 4.9.2010 at 4.37am Christchurch was rocked by a magnitude 7.1 earthquake, smashing buildings, destroying houses and tearing up streets. Amazingly no one was killed but many have been left homeless. We have been hit by over 270 aftershocks with a magnitude of more than 3 on the richter scale. Anyhow I was one of the lucky ones in that myself, my family and all of my friends were unharmed, my house is completely undamaged and even work is still standing and operating. However with different businesses being closed building the car has become a little difficult. I managed to get the rest of my exhaust pipe pieces today from a very shaken saleswoman and Frank at Circle track finished my drive shaft.

Ive spent this evening fabricating my rh side headers(mark2) and made them squeeze through the gaps around the steering shaft and the starter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I fired up the tank
    [​IMG]
    and welded them together, they are still a tight fit but at least now my steering cant come in contact with them like they did with the mark 1 version in the silvia lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres the slightly modified HSV headers on the lh side
    [​IMG]

I also stripped back an rb20 starter and reverse light loom to adapt onto the ls1, I want to make it all plug into the factory wiring and operate from there, wont be too much work.
    [​IMG]

13. Chunky Nugget

Chunky Nugget honkeytits!!

Nice car dude Got a 4 door myself, should be badass.

Is that the original sump?
    Did you have to modify it at all??
    :thumbs:

14. r32

r32 Member

Original sump from a commodore/vauxhaul/monaro (depending one where you hail from) Didnt mod the sump, but I did mod the crossmember.

15. HoodRide

HoodRide New Member

haha dude that is so sick i wanna see vids!!

16. r32

r32 Member

Heres one of my original green car after I fitted the v8
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lifkBaoVr_Y]YouTube - LS1R32.MPG[/ame]
    Heres a bit of the Silvia in action in 09
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVMUO3oQ6hk]YouTube - Teretonga Drift south[/ame]

17. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

niiiice one bro . I used to live in CHC and worked at A1 auto's in riccarton where were a few guys in to skidding there and at the fitzgerald ave branch.

18. supernova-dw

supernova-dw Active Member

Nice selection of cars you've had there mate ! And some very good work there ! Keep us updated,best of luck with it all !

19. r32

r32 Member

I found a better video of the Silvia at Teretonga
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onAqEHga6ck]YouTube - Beau.mp4[/ame]

20. r32

r32 Member

Heat Wrapped (which is horrible itchy stuff)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

New Feature Bosozuku Style baby
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finished up the wiring so it all plugs in to the factory dash and power plugs all the factory guages work and mounted the Link.
    [​IMG]

Skidbitz.co.nz Supplied some more adjustable bits, front top arms and rear lock washers
    [​IMG]

Wheels aligned
    [​IMG]

Heres another shot of the exhaust:D
    [​IMG]

Enlisted Toms help again and got the interior painted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres a shot of the clearance around the headers
    [​IMG]