Driftworks forum software

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by PhilMorrison, Oct 5, 2010.

?

Should we change to IPBoard?

1. Yes! It looks wicked

32 vote(s)
    37.6%
  2. No! I'm scared of change

34 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. I don't give a shit

19 vote(s)
    22.4%
  1. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

As some of you may have seen, we've started a new track bases forum: Track Culture - Track Cars, Track Days & Real People with the idea being the same laid back driftworks style atmosphere, but to chat more about our recent love for 'normal' track driving. For this forum we went with a new piece of software (to us) called IPBoard, and I REALLY love it. It's much more visually inspiring, easy to use, and has better features than VBB. So the question is: Would you like to see Driftworks move to using the same software?

2. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

i dunno the track culture forum just looks a bit "simple" for want of a better term. does the new software give better security features and faster browsing speeds or is it just a visual thing?

3. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Also I forgot to mention to check out trackculture on your phone. It works brilliantly, and this feature would be the same if we used it for Driftworks.

4. FlikstRR

FlikstRR 330D powered

theres alot more support for VBB from a geek point of view.. but depends how good your coder is ;)

agree with the look but thats down to skinning it..

#4 FlikstRR, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  5. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

the forum layout looks a bit old skool to me.

6. Chan Dapman

Chan Dapman Active Member

Yeah looks really dated imo.

7. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Mostly a user friendly thing, with better integration with media. To me the Driftworks forum looks really simple compared to trackculture

Between us we have a pretty good ratio of geekery :D

Is it just because of the Garage photo's up top do you think? I know some older VBB boards used to have that, but we thought it was a nice feature we'd try.

8. GB / John

GB / John NDC Runner Up 2012

IPB is brilliant, used it for many years on a forum, then started again but used VB and loved VB more than IPB. I'm sure VB has more features, but its harder to use Admin CP wise than IPB is. IPB is easier to work with.

#8 GB / John, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  9. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

Don't like the look of the new forum, prefer the look of this VBB, unless there are things from my simple point of view i don't understand that are better ?

As above, it looks like older style of forums to me.. just my opinion.

10. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Interesting feedback. I thought track culture looked pretty fresh. Is it just because it's mostly white? I know people really get used to the way a forum looks, but taking away the fact DW is a different colour, does Driftworks not look more dated in terms of layout etc?

11. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

I think its just the plain colours used make it look dated, maybe needs some kind of funky pattern in the background or something. The Home page looks great though!

12. iamben

iamben Active Member

* In a Garth from Waynes World voice

"We dont want change, We fear change" ;)

Seriously though, dont like the TC forum, its very bright and fragmented and kinda looks like a four year old let loose with a pritt stick and some pictures.

DW is very simple, purposeful and angry...much like bon. Leave the Bon Forum alone and keep the Pritt Stick forum how it is. :)

13. FlikstRR

FlikstRR 330D powered

people are getting hung up on the skin.. remember than can be changed.!!!!

You need to join or look through its features to assess the features/style etc.

the more i click around the more i like the track culture skin.. loks alot better infull screen once you click off the main page..

on a random note: check this phil
    Mazda RX7 | Owners, Parts, Repair, Performance, Mods, Wheels - RX7Club.com

it uses simular idea of the garage at the top etc but a little less 'in your face'

14. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

The front page btw is really good, i was only refering to the forum part.

From my first few glaces at the site, i think everything is too "chunky", reminds me when my computer spackers out and goes into safe mode and everything goes big, lol, guess what i'm trying to say is could do with being smaller so it looks neater. (mainly user name in the threads)

It doesn't help that everything is white when you view the main thread list, kinda find it hard to follow.

I'm very used to the VVB forums as nearly all the forums i use including this one use it, so know my way round and understand it ect, but this site looks way better then other VBB so must be down more to what you can do with the software ect, so i guess in time it will become amazing :D

I love the colours and how they go together, the top of the forum pages looks good, just the main post bit that looks odd to me, personally it would be nice to get rid of sigs all togther and have a larger advatar picture, as it doesn't break the text up so much as i don't want to see the same car over and over again when scaning down threads if that makes sense haha

Take it as you will, as i'm most likey talking shit :D

:D :wack:

15. scottymills

Im unsure about that forum set up! Not the biggest fan of the colours of the post boxes etc. and not too keen on the typefaces ether... ?

but these are easily changed!

You mentioned easier use of media ? In what kinda ways ? Would this have that auto size adjustment for photos ? I like that...

But personally.... get rid of the garage section if you were to have it on Driftworks.. Makes it look cheesy i feel ? But if it is gonna be on driftworks, what about moving it to the bottom of the page ?

I dunno... just ideas really ?

16. H05TYL

H05TYL Member

I quite like it actually, does indeed look fresh.

17. scouse

scouse Active Member

I prefer this forum and the layout is sound as it is:nod:.

18. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

im very much a scared of change person. if i logged in and saw that unexpecting itd give me a heart attack.

maybe knock up a preview of how the driftworks one would look, in black and orange etc and might seem more appealing (silly as it sounds, people are comfortable with what there familar with)

19. T.K

T.K kudo fruiting

Box fresh crepes. I like it a lot.

I'd run the same software on both forums without a doubt. I would colour this one orange and black. People got used to it in 5 minutes last time you changed things up.

20. OptiBull

OptiBull > > > > > > > > > >

I vote change to IPB purly on how well it works and looks on my phone. It could easily be setup to keep the DW look too.