Advice on next car

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Sensai Psycho, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Sensai Psycho

Sensai Psycho New Member

hey everyone.

basically a quick one on what car to get as a daily drifter.

only problem, as always. bloody insurance.
    im 20, access to a motorcycle, 3 years no claims.

and in the eyes on insurance companys constantly about to drive into a ditch or another car.

ive been after a road drifter for a while. just need advice on which one

basics on my preferences as far:

2.0 (had 1.8's want something a little more "playfull". although id take a 1.8 in the right car)
    ive never really liked volvos (no offence to anyone, but there just not my taste :cool:)
    looking german or jap

ive narrowed it down to a few but throw a spanner in the works if you want

BMW 320CI E36
    MX5 Gen 2 (1.8)
    S13/200SX (but getting the right one is a *****, like the S14 but insurance :euge:)

most of the cars around are out of budget or just uninteresting for me.

budget for the car is around 3K could go over. hopefully insurance isnt over 2K

thanks for the advice

2. Captain Muppet

Captain Muppet Pro-tard

:sigh:

Look at the list of cars in every "young driver - which car to get, insurance nightmare" thread, then phone some insurance companies and get quotes.

If you get more than one car you like the thought of and can afford to insure then go for some test drives.

I can't stress this enough - only you can tell if you like driving a car. I've read car magazine reviews, talked to owners, saved up the money and when it's come to test drive time absolutely hated cars I was in love with.

Also - look at larger cars, a 5-series makes a pretty pimp daily and might not be as much as a 3-series coupe to insure.

Edit: mk2 MX5s are just like mk1s, but more money and without the coolest headlights in the world. Get a mk1 unless the shape of the dashboard is the thing you like best about the mk2.

#2 Captain Muppet, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  3. Tailslider

Tailslider Member

for 3k you could quite happily get a charged or turbo'd mk1 mx? and if your fussy do the mk2 interior swap?

5series are an awesome daily, had a 528 before i bought another mx5 (note: wouldnt go back evarrr:D iv driven nissans, all sorts of beemers and i can quite happily say my turbo'd mk1 is the best car iv ever driven/owned..)

and about the mk1-mk2 thing, get a mk1 and stick a mk2dash in it? easy enough swap and must be a million times nicer than a mk1 interior... well tempted to do it myself..

4. TR.

TR. Member

Saxo VTR... cheaper than a VTS on insurance... Oh wait... :o

5. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

So you've got £5k in total and you're bitching about what car to get????

Christ you can get a R33 GTST for under £2000 and blow the rest on insurance and ladyboys............................ermmmm, i mean ladies!!!

6. Sensai Psycho

Sensai Psycho New Member

i love skylines but insurance for me atm after checking everywhere is about 12-15K :smash:

notes on the MK1/MK2, for some reason the lenses just dont appeal to me in the MK1 (and the dash)
    but i may just rip the dash out and replace the lenses but keep the popups

ive always liked the 3 series more but hell thanks for the advice on the 5 (for some reason ive overlooked them) but saw a 7 series today which i looked at.

#6 Sensai Psycho, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  7. kapzae86

kapzae86 New Member

whats the 320i coupe like on fuel. i was considering a beema but dont know what engine/shape..

e30/e36 r my fav. always loved the feel of 325i on e30.. and only driven 318iS e36.. but mate says its rubbish on fuel consumption. any ideas to what i could get. appreciated. cheers

8. dicko

dicko Member

i thought you had an ae86?

9. tooley

tooley ドリフトキング

i dont get this stupid insurance stuff? i was 19 when i got my rx7 FD and my ins was 2100 TPFT put a 400 deposit on it and it worked out £150 odd a month. i was in uni , lived at home and worked so my only outgoings were the FD and insurance and beer :D

has insurance really gone up that much?

im 25 now and my s15 FC all mods dec etc etc is only £600

10. Captain Muppet

Captain Muppet Pro-tard

You could get a google, then compare factory fuel consumption figures between cars you're thinking about and cars you've already driven.

Or you could wait for someone on the internet to teel you how many miles they get from a tank, without saying how much is in a tank or what kind of driving they were doing.

11. Sensai Psycho

Sensai Psycho New Member

yeah, insurance sucks, we pay for all the people who dont and those who crash.

ive just gone and bought a 5 series (so thanks to "Captain Muppet" for the heads up :D). although now i hear my old R33 could be coming back to the UK which means i could need my trailer back :thumbs:.

as far as ive heard the bigger engined 3's are bad on fuel. had a friend who could see the gauge go down (damn quick) when he got overzelous :smokin:. think his was a 330 or 340 even though

12. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

12k for r33 insurance? WTF, you sure you've tried 'everybody' ?

Get a BMW e36 328, put the 325 inlet manifold on, get coilovers, weld diff, skid. Want me to hold your hand too??????????