Entry Level Drifting Around Vancouver?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by ferretca18, Nov 6, 2010.

1. ferretca18

ferretca18 Member

Hey people:)

Im moving to Canada on Sunday (Whistler) and eventually I want to possibly get some Drift experience over there.

Just wondering if there are any places that run a practice session?

Also what cars go cheap over there? I have been looking at 240sx's (Had an S13 over here for a few years), FC's, MX5's/miatas.

Are there any decent ish domestics that are cheap, or do Volvos get much useage?

Cheers:thumbs:

2. identiti

identiti Member

I've just come back from three weeks in whistler riding my bike and I did see allot of s13 240sx's around in drift attire. Theres some Awsome roads there that would lend themselves to abit of skiddy action. I remember there being a few vids on here of a purple Subaru legacy and rx7 fc drifting an oval in Vancouver somewhere.

3. ferretca18

ferretca18 Member

sweet! yea I spent all summer out there on my bike too. Epic place, the road that comes down from the end of khybers is epic, and usually completely empty!

4. nos4speed

nos4speed Member

I dont know about the drift scene there but congrats on moving to canada =D I spent 3 weeks traveling around BC a few years back and loved it soo much! The closest I got to drifting there was on quadbikes right up north =P
    Good luck with the move =)

5. Sidekick

Sidekick Member

Can I just say, having just spent the last 4 months living in Whistler riding my bike, for the 3rd year in a row. I kept seeing the same RHD yellow 300zx and white AE86 parked near Intrawest staff housing, up the mega uphill windy road. If you saw the situation you'd cry! Good work on moving out there, Whistler is the shit, i'm not sure how much drifting goes on up there, but I believe there is more going on up in Kamloops or Kelowna? Saw quite a lot of stock S13's, the 2 above named cars but basically no other interesting jap cars - although saw quite a few in Vancouver.

6. topi

topi KlutchKickKidz

Hey man, I moved from the UK to Vancouver Island a few months back. Never spent any time on mainland but I know there is a scene out there.
    BC has a lot of oldskool Toyotas if you're interested in that side of things.

Generally the drift scene out here is like it was in the UK a few years back. Quite small and grass-roots - which is pretty cool in my opinion. But it does mean that there's a LOT less regular practice days and stuff.

The price of cars is very different than the UK. You can pick up a stock S13 240sx here for around 1000dollars (for something worth buying), but remember it has the shitty KA24 single cam non-turbo truck engine. Old Toyotas are cheap and plentifull, MX5s not so much, and BMWs are painfully expensive. There's a lot less fancy old JDM bits floating around, but there's a whole new un-explored world of US toys to mess around with.

So to conclude, yeah there's a strong scene in Vancouver/Isl, but it's much smaller and fresher than the UK. And yes you can get a cheap drift car and have fun, but it wont be a cheating S14 or R32 with 350hp and a 2way.

7. ferretca18

ferretca18 Member

sweet! cheers for the info!

i like most cars really, had an s13 a few years back (sold after uni s i could afford to live with a buddy of mine in SoCal for a few months:)) love old school toyotas:) AE85's go for nothing, so i could get one as a base and stick a different motor in eventually /(have a mate with a massive garage)

Liking the idea of a yank tank, just gotta think of something that may actually work..... could always say sod it and build a drifty F150 truck lol :wack:

8. big fat nick

big fat nick smells

I've just returned from whistler after being there for a year an a bit, and yeah, like andy said, there was pretty much only 2 interesting cars in town, the corolla that works at comor (the snowboarding shop) and the rhd 300zx which lives up at the mountains staff housing (it seemed to have left town though didnt see it from october onwards).

Keep an eye on whistler craigslist, i was eying up a couple of manual E30 325's before one was $800 and fucked, the other $1600 and not looking so bad. However, as stated further up in this thread, bmws are stupid money in canada. But fuck, in winter, you dont need anything special, a v6 4runner in 2wd would be hellafun in whistler on an evening before the snowploughs come out. You might be able to find a big old volvo, theres plenty of cheap ones around, but i'll be theyre 99% auto boxes.

Chatting to people, it seems there used to be a guy into drifting who had an old e30 but thats about it as far as i know for whistler.

However, something else to know is theres loads of rallyable roads around, yeah its not drifting, but its possible more fun, the duffy lake road is cool. Cops are everywhere in whistler so you have a good chance of being busted for streeto, and canadian cops are super hardcore megabastards, you cant talk yourself out of anything like you would in the uk, i've seen a cop snap a dudes skateboard for riding through the village, i know a number of people who've had $150 fines for having a can of beer in their hands in the street. Drifting wouldnt be taken kindly to in whistler. (although in the snow, i recon the base of blackcomb to staff housing road could be linked awesomely).

How long are you there for? are you a permenant resident? I'll do anything to get back to whistler. Best place on earth!

edit - sorry for the thread bump. Got my dates mixed up, doh'

9. Epp5y

Epp5y New Member

Haha dude I was just about to post the exact same thread seconds before I stumbled upon it haha

I'm in the same boat, looking for cars to photograph and oggle, missing my automotive photography and can't wait to be back out sniffing tyre smoke, need to getsome drifted features done before I die from withdrawal! haha

I moved out here 4 weeks ago now and apart from the lack of bastard snow I'm loving it! haha

Fancy a pint?