Mr2 turbo for drifting??

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Tony4, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Tony4

Tony4 Member

I want to turn my car into a drift car. I have just installed the adjustable Koni shock and spring.

Can I start drifting base on this setting? or I'm having a complete wrong car to start with? People telling me it can be done, I only need twice the reaction speed.

2. rotary_rogers

rotary_rogers Member

it can be done mate i used to go out and toy around in my dads old mr2, however it is indeed very different in some circumstances, i found it a struggle to go any where fast in the wet with that car. however in the dry i got pretty good at some low speed drifts.

3. Jord

Jord drifted.com

I have an MR2 turbo and its not easy to drift but it is do-able. Probably not the best car to learn in. If you do try and learn in one avoid airfields lined by trees and bushes :cry: :smash:

4. Tony4

Tony4 Member

Any mr2 drifter out there? Do I need after market LSD? I know LSD would help, but should I try drifting without a LSD to get the feel first?

I never tried drifting, only spin out couple times

5. SidewaysRob

SidewaysRob Member

I've drifted my MR2 in the clubman competition 3 times this year, well twice as it broke down 15mins before the final round. I've come 4th and 2nd, so it is deffinately achieveable.

Mine is a pretty standard uk spec car (yeap only 165ish bhp and a :dermal: open diff), running induction kit and custom exhaust. And it sounds as though I have the same suspension as you have :thumbs:

Get yourself some strut braces to stiffen it all up as best as possible.

You do need to be quick in the MR2, and it is very unforgiving. Do slightly too much to get it sideways, or force it to transition to quickly, and it will spin. However, I feel that learning to drift my MR2 has taught me so much about weight transfer.

Alot of the turbo's came with an LSD as standard, although it doesn't provide much lock it has to be better than my :dermal: open diff. Check yours by jacking up the rear of the car and spinning 1 of the wheels, if the other goes in the same direction you have a diff. If it goes the other way than you have a open diff. It is possible to drift on an open diff, but its behavior is a little unpredictable. If you have the money than get hold of a TRD diff ;)

All this said there are some simple facts that you must take into account.
    1. You WILL NOT be able to hold as big a 'drift-angle' as you would in a front engined rear wheel drive car. The weight behind you means that holding a large angle is all but impossible, once it goes beyond a certain degree, you pretty much going to spin.

2. You CANNOT transfer/transition between drifts as quickly/aggresively. Again the weight behind you means that the rear of the car will have a lot more momentum than a front engined car. Throwing it in a transition is easy enough, but catching it can be a problem. If you are too aggresive than it will pretty much spin.

Once you understand these points, and practice lots and lots, you will learn to 'feel' just how hard you can push it.

Look through the media section of this forum, download and watch Clubman round 3 and 4, as well as some of the conedodgers days at Andover. There is some footage of me in the MR2 in those vids. ;) :D

6. Tony4

Tony4 Member

thanks for the respond guys. Where can I get an anti-roll bar from?

7. SidewaysRob

SidewaysRob Member

8. Jord

Jord drifted.com

Or buy my MR2 as it has an LSD already :D

9. Tony4

Tony4 Member

Thanks for ur offer Jord. I like my car and I presumed yours is a stock LSD.

10. Jord

Jord drifted.com

Think you can check if its got an LSD, read this -

Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

For models produced intended for the US, from the model revision in late 1992 onwards a limited slip differential was standard for all Turbos - previously in the 90-92 model years it was an option. It is not known if a LSD was also standard for Japanese Turbos from '92 onwards, although its appears to also be the case.

To verify if your car has a LSD, check the vehicle identification plate on the inside of front bonnet. There are a number of codes given there, including the transmission type, whose code starts with the sequence "A/TM"

For example, A/TM:- 735/E153

If the last digit before the /E153 is a '3' or a '5' then the car has a LSD - therefore in the example above it does.

The second part of the code is the transmission type- E153 is a heavy duty manual transmission for the Turbo.

11. Tony4

Tony4 Member

unfortunately mine has not got a LSD. "If" i've got the money, is KAAZ 1.5 up for the job (£350) ? or better to get TRD (£600)?

12. SidewaysRob

SidewaysRob Member

If you are going to get an after-market one then it is WELL worth while getting a TRD 2 way LSD. To do the cheap 1.5 way diff would just be a waste of time and money if you are serious about drifting

It is the next modification on my list, but finances stop me at the moment.