1986 Honda Acty Pickup with T16 POWER!

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Torque of the Town, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Torque of the Town

Torque of the Town Kid a Kid Kidda Kid

Meet project Beast!

She is a Rare 1986 Honda Acty Pickup (acty meaning activity)! I have 2 of these little tanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 Previous owner from new!! 50k genuine miles too!!
    It's a 550cc, Engine at the very back, £25 to fill the tank! 5Speed, Goes off the clock at 80mph, and will actually corner very well (no joke!!!!) can hit an island at 50mph+!!!! Being a pickup type all the weight is low to the floor, and I can Littrally pick it up and face it the other way!!!! lol. Drum brakes all round. It's been up and down 30ft stair ways, various footpaths, in and out posts and even green laning lol. Better than a Bedford rascal van :p

Boasting a massive spec list.... Rear engine drive, just like a Porsche! Sporty as a Focus RS! 2 seater like a Caterham, Lite as a plaggy pig and as Low as your grandmas mobility scooter....that's about it really!

Ok, so, Plan is....
    I did buy a Complete Hyabusa in August but was offered money for it and nearly tripled the money I payed for it haha, so change of plan!

Going to drop a lovely Rover T-series 2litre Turbo engine in! 200bhp as standered.

The spec Im looking for now is:
    T16 Engine (eventually big spec)
    Custom exhaust & flamer :p
    Front carbon fibre splitter
    Slammed on Coilovers (using 200sx struts & hubs & brakes)
    Stiffened up (strut braces, polybushed)
    Widened on Deep dish alloys and Spacers
    Mid mounted fuel cell & uprated pump to level the weight out
    Cooling a must, so various air ducts both side (intercooler, oil, water and brakes!)
    Mini sports pak Wide arches
    Rollcage inside
    Taller gearstick
    Flocked dashboard & steering wheel
    Cab extened back 10" for abit more leg room
    Bucket seats and Harnesses
    Hydro hand brake
    More steering lock and possible power steering
    Slimline battery
    Various Pod gauges
    Jap style plates
    HID Headlights
    Removable Back end (when I'm fettling with engine/more room)
    and a Paint job! will look at Management & other mods at a later date.

Possibly Nos y0¿!

Aim is to have a Fast Drift Piss about Toy, for the twistys and for the straights. Built as a 'throw together from bits out the shed'.

Want the extra power the turbo can offer and the weight on the back to balence me as the driver out.

So first off, Find the Donor Car!
    [​IMG]

update:

The project hasnt gone as quick as i planned due to work taking up most of my time, but over the last couple of months iv been 'umming and arring' wether to go ahead with it or sell them both on....

here are both the actys together:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

having some fun:
    [​IMG]

a Quote from mr police man 'a suspisious looking vehicle which could be used in crime' :wack:
    [​IMG]

having a drive thru the woods....as you do....
    [​IMG]

So, as you know, iv been on the look out for a donor for a while! & After a long while searching the forums, the breakers, ebay, pistonheads etc I couldnt find anything within my price range and was generally giving up hope.

So i parked them up and a good 2-3weeks passed, when my mate came round one sunday evening with some beers....Conversation went straight to the cars and got me back into the mood to search for a donor again .... So i started up the laptop, got searching and came across a Genuine, Rover 220 GSi Turbo!! :thumbs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next day (monday evening) i found myself driving on a 400 mile round trip to Norwich after work . Got there and was greated by the previous owner. I gave the car a good look over, started first time after hucking up the jump leads, left to warm up whilst checking out it's wad of history.... no problems! had to pump up the tyres abit as the car had been stood over the Xmas period, but took it for a test drive after, big smile! Handed over the money and drove it home! 55mph all the way.
    Didnt get in home till just after 1am due to various road repair diversions! and then i only had 3hours kip and had to get up for work for tuesday lol!!!!

Woke up on the tuesday morning, checked the motor out properly in the sunlight .... and My God!!! Waaaaaay to good to break!!!!

So that day, in between work, I took onboard previous owners honesty, which was the handbrake wasn't very effective and the 5th gear wasn't engaging....and After a couple of hours I'd swapped afew bits over, Booked it in for a MOT and would you beleive it....IT PASSED!!!! 1st time!!!!

[​IMG]

It has various mods, lowered all round, polybushed all round, big breaks, mg alloys on low profiles, mongoose stainless exhaust, turbo time, apexi filter, uprated fuel regulator, boost controller, boost gauge and pod and afew other odds & sodds. Had a full rebuild 600miles ago, pulls as hard as it would of out of the factory, ticks over a dream and is a real please to own....Deffo not breaking it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now im on the look out for another Rover Turbo :lol: :wack::wack: :lol:

2. Torque of the Town

Update:

i began the strip down on the pickup!!!!

Within the 1hour of start to finish, id actually managed to Knock myself out and need some stitches !! IS THIS A WARNING? :| :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Check out the massive engine!!!! screams POWER just looking at it lol

[​IMG]

So thats it! Engine is now out of the pickup, i can litrally 'pick the pickup up' with one hand! Instead of 2 hands originally when the engine was in....

STILL NEED A DONOR!!!!!!!!

How did i manage to knock myself out i hear you ask????

The drive shafts had obviously been in there since 1986, along with grime and mud they was solid into the gearbox. I used that crowbar (which is in the pictures) to prize them out and as i was prizing one out, the fooker slipped causing the crowbar hook end smacking the top of my head lol (hard to explain the position i was in ).... woke up afew mins later with blood down my face and skin on the hook, what a tit lol

Headache in the morning anyone?

Annnnnyways, Just thort I'd show you what I'm talking about....These are AWSOME! Heres afew videos to show you there fun:

These are 660cc Turbo Versions by the way!!! (90bhp)

Imagine a minimum 200bhp lump!?!!? Yeeehaaaa

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO6wYRdoh_8&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]YouTube - 軽トラドリフト in ALT[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q0GW69CEN8&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]YouTube - ï¼’ï¼ï¼‘ï¼ã€€é“楽攻暴 走行会[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCBdQqUGnjE&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]YouTube - Japanese Mini-truck Drifting[/ame]

I managed to get half hour, so iv removed the fuel tank and pump, the spare wheel and housing, the complex Airbox and breather pipes. Various water/oil/fuel pipes, etc.

No pictures of it today but it was pretty boring and wasn't a nice site! the wind nearly blew it off the stands as I was going underneath lol! I swear someone doesn't like me upstairs :lol:

Oh, here's a couple of random pics of my 'Cossie' Engine and Running gear (If this current project goes well then im putting this stuff into my white pickup):

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/8055/img6188t.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5369/img6187u.jpg

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/6730/img1304ba.jpg

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/5936/img6193rg.jpg

Tonight i got home, grabbed a cuppa' tea and got back underneath the motor.

Firstly i picked it up and turned it around to face the other way (love doing that) for more space.

Spent a while chasing the wiring loom, the various plugs, clips and sensors, and pulling it all up into the Cab out of the way.

Removed the various coolant rails & pipes that go thru the chassis and along with the head tank, the radiator and fan, and all the brackets.

Took away the fuel lines and brackets along with the Oil filler pipe.

Pulled back the clutch cable and handbrake cables.

Hit my head wound getting from underneath it lol

Iv still left the rear hubs/wheels/leaf springs and struts on for now as iv been moving the motor about a fair bit and its easier.

The next job is to:

Take away the Gear rod to give more room as it runs the length of the motor lol

Pick the front end up and get rid of the Metal under tray from underneath the Cab.

Get rid of the Brake lines that run underneath the 'bed' and Generally Remove anything in the way.

Then its party time!!!!

Say hello to Mr Grinder! He will be my friend (i hope) for the evening

[​IMG]

Wish us luck....

UPDATE:

Not much of an update but i did do afew more little things this evening....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got back underneath and traced the brake lines around the chassis and removed them.

Started with the cutting....Opened up the engine bay gap....cut from Chassis leg to the other chassis leg, Then it started to slash it down, started to get wet and had a job come in shortley after so this is as far as i got tonight:

[​IMG]

but heres a cool pic from the other day....CAMBER YO?!

[​IMG]

#2 Torque of the Town, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  3. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

Lmao I want the van in the pic at the top. Awesome project

4. Binnerz

Binnerz Member

I full agree with cefiro_drifta that van looks wicked.

Subscribed to this! Cant wait until its got a new motor init!!!!:dw:

5. 4door32

4door32 Member

Fookin awesome can't wait to see what this turns out like!

6. FreddieS

FreddieS Active Member

Im intrigued, but I hate the t-series, such a gash engine imho, had a Coupe running 243bhp ATF with a 2871r and it was damn fun, but the amount of work that engine needed wound me up, ended up rebuilding basically everything. oh, and then the rest of the car fell apart around it!

Going to be an interesting project, and should slide quite nicely :p lol!

7. Jebend

Jebend Member

This looks awesome! Mad as a box of frogs!

8. Emperor

Emperor Member

forget the rover lump.........too heavy

you will find out what i mean ;-)

a Motobike engine would be perfect

9. chris661

chris661 Member

That is totally awesome! never seen one of those before. Turbo bike engine is deffo the way to go!! Even just a normal bike engine would do it! I did a Stryker (super 7 type thing) with a fireblade engine and it was terribly quick. They're really big power too ;) if you go down the bike engine route and need some help give me a shout for wiring help or anything else like drive flanges and sump considerations..

10. Irfan

Irfan Member

Lol loving that van mate

11. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Sweet project :D How are you gonna put that power down? It weighs sod all lol.
    Nice classic Transit as well.

12. vitoka

vitoka Member

It's fucking awesome project

13. dsmeds

dsmeds Member

Awesome!! :nod:

14. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Cool.

Good work on not breaking that 220GSI, its mint, and cool as fuck, way cooler than the Coupes etc.

T16s are mega tuneable engine, so not a bad shout at all. Torsen diff as standard IIRC?

15. tubs

tubs Member

lol wow

i think that drift trucks are the way forward in 2011(just kidding:nod:)(or am i :smokin:)

16. oscar

oscar Member

Honda Actys are great !
    I once had a delivery job using one of these when they were new and had fantastic fun drifting it around the lanes.
    Best laugh.... ?
    Hooning up behind the last car in a queue, pulling the bar and screeching up to the rear bumper of the car in front with my mate stamping on the floor as hard as he could when we stopped about 2 inches away from it.
    They always got out thinking we'd hit them up the arse :D

Or...
    Knocking it into 2nd gear from 4th at about 60mph when unloaded

17. FreddieS

FreddieS Active Member

Yeh, all the t-series turbo 200 series had a torsen diff, theyre awesome to drive!

There tuneable, but at the same time they love to leak, because it is in essence a B-series engine...

Also quite dear to tune, hardly cheap to forge and even when forged sometimes just love to shit the bed, bit like a CA18!

18. WizardinBlack

WizardinBlack Member

That beige van in your first post is fucking pimp. Will look forward to seeing what you make of this :thumbs:

19. Torque of the Town

haha cheers people! Can't wait to get it finished too....

T-series not tunable? Think Andy Nichols of AN Racing proves they are!! Go check his car out :D

Iv now owned every modal of rover turbo! 220, 420, 620, 820 and the Tomcat coupes ;)

Alot of people under estimate them, plenty of power as standered and will pull and pull some more thru everygear!
    Simple mods and these are quality! Pulsar t28, larger intercooler, plenty of cold air, modded diesel gearbox, lightened n balanced flywheel, boost cut removed, Fuel pump turned up, boost controller, better manifolds, straight thru exhaust (not very long mind you lol) etc.

Much cheaper than a bike engine conversion in my opinion! Oh and did I mention that This will be used daily!? :D

#19 Torque of the Town, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  20. FreddieS

FreddieS Active Member

Out of interest, are you on metropower? seem to rememeber you selling a kite setup or swap for a vvc tro setup?

Ive also had every model of rover turbo (220 coupe was the final tickbox) building a forged t-series with a mate for my old 220 coupe (sold it to him when i got bored of FWD) its a good engine ignoring the weight, and alot of potential, ANR stuff is hardly cheap though