Importing car from Ireland? Need to know everything!

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by JDM-SAM, Feb 23, 2011.

1. JDM-SAM

JDM-SAM Member

Hey guys. ive seen an s15 in Ireland that I want! But need to know all the pit falls and laws required to get it into the uk?

I know you have to register it but not sure how, will phone dvla tomo to confirm! But would love feedback from guys who've been through it!

Thanks
    Sam

2. Paddy

Paddy Speedhunter

Buy it, drive it home, MOT it, send away V5 and it'll return with a UK reg.

Simples :)

3. davie-s

davie-s Member

Shit, as simple as that ???Standard mot, send off Irish reg get back uk reg. I was sure the wanks at the dvla would have made it harder than that!! opens up a lot of nice cars that I thought would be a ball ache to register :smokin:

4. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

HPI is and any other checks you can do.

5. JDM-SAM

JDM-SAM Member

Yeah unsure of hpi checks etc? Can you do it off Irish reg?

6. roadrunner1

roadrunner1 New Member

you can do a cartell check its the same as hpi,i sold my soarer to a bloke from surrey but he got the car shipped over cause he was afraid to drive it.

7. HeftyDanielson

If it's been registered in the uk before it's that easy... if not you need to get the dvla to do a full inspection on the car... having my car done now, shipping it from the Isle of Man to uk, the same rules as far as I know...

8. JDM-SAM

JDM-SAM Member

Buying a Used car are you sure you don't have to pay VAT? I know it's eu but you only get to buy certain amounts of duty free stuff so does this not apply to cars? Or because it's personal use does this not count?

9. e36coupe

e36coupe Member

Informative thread, Whats the deal with insurance? Insure it off the vin number to drive it back to the uk?

10. JDM-SAM

JDM-SAM Member

Yeah you can get a temporary cover note from an insurer off the vin number. Also I phoned the inland revenue and they said aslong as the vat was paid in Ireland, which it would be to be registered, then there's no vat to pay in england! Result.

11. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

as long as its more than 10 years old, registered or unregistered you need the following (insurance from IRL plate or VIN), an MOT and a V55 document. takes 3-5days for new plates to come back.

If you have insurance, you can book an MOT and LEGALLY drive it to that MOT station from anywhere. So technically, as long as you are insured you can drive it from ireland directly to an MOT station in the UK, i'd have that booking on paper though!

Once you have insurance, MOT, V55 completed, go to your local DVLA office (with passport and a recent utlility bill from your home) with £55 registration fee and £180 for the tax on an S15 for the year. Takes 5 minutes, then you sit at home and wait, job done. Unless you are unlucky and they call you in for an inspection, thats pretty random though... you'd be unlucky. If they do pull it, you need to be able to conform with the ESVA.

12. JDM-SAM

JDM-SAM Member

We will find out in march if I'm lucky or not as I've put a deposit on the car I want! :)

13. finchy

finchy snapped hard!

im doing the same thing mate it really is that easy i couldnt beleve it lol im flying out then driving back

14. e36coupe

e36coupe Member

Does seem rather easy, opened up some new options :)

I presume its all the same for southern/northern ireland?

15. keggy

keggy Member

northern ireland cars are uk cars so need nothing changed/done

16. JDM-SAM

JDM-SAM Member

Almost too good to be true hey! But we will see, when u going over finchy? My flights are 30quid each and ferry is 160, that's for 2 people! Got my mot booked for the day after I get back and then it's on to the dvla office. Lol thanks Irish recession!

17. JDM-SAM

JDM-SAM Member

Hey Mitto, Just got a question, got my v55/5 today and it says "take this info from the certificate of conformity" now I may be being stupid but what is it?
    It was registered in feb 1st 2001 in japan so is over 10 years old. So I shouldn't be needing sva iva or esva! So whats the certificate of conformity?
    Thanks in advance if you can help

18. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

yeah... you dont need the info. leave it blank and just fill in as much as you can. they will correct you at the dvla office if you forgot anything :)