Template Errors: thread_view

1. strpos(): Empty needle in /domains/forum.driftworks.com/http/forum/library/Lgpl/utf8.php, line 444:
    443: 	</div>
    444: </div>';
    445: $__compilerVar11 .= $__compilerVar14;

Brainy Peeps - A Question

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Flipfoot, May 28, 2011.

1. Flipfoot

Flipfoot 三日坊主

Stolen from SO.com.

"A flight from London to Tokyo is about 12 hours long and the return flight from Tokyo to london using the same plane is the same, why ???

When you leave London you fly to the East towards Tokyo which is the same way the earth rotates, so not only do you have to fly the distance you also have to overtake the earths rotation which is obviously 360 degrees in 24 hours (pretty fast) as Tokyo moves away from you.

When flying back to London you fly West, against the earths rotation ,so when leaving Tokyo London should be rotating towards you, so how come it takes the same amount of time ?

Also imagine looking at earth from the moon and Tokyo is facing you. London is 8 hours behind Tokyo so in theory if you fix a point where Tokyo is and wait 8 hours London would now be in this position and Tokyo would have spun to the right out of site. So why if you take off from Tokyo and fly 550mph towards London does it take 12 hours when in theory if the plane took off and hovered for just 8 hours and then landed it should be in London. The 12 hours it takes is longer than time itself which would mean you must be flying backwards for some of the flight."

discuss !!!

2. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

Nothing to discuss. The earth rotates and its' atmosphere rotates with it. If you took off and hovered above Tokyo for 8 hours and then landed you would be in .... Tokyo!

Lol.

3. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

earth has an atmosphere that travels at the same rate as the planets surface, so the rotation of the earth wont effect the planes travel unless winds push you faster or slow you down.

4. DevilsTower

DevilsTower full of lulz.

This. You basically drive at your cars speed + around 66,660mph, a rate of speed you "travel" even when you're lying in bed. Don't forget the rotational force and speed between 200-1000mph (depending on where you're located) you're constantly experiencing aswell:D

Physics is fun!

5. Ollie

Ollie LOOSE!

I don't think there is a plane that can hover for eight hours.

6. Chan Dapman

Chan Dapman Active Member

"When a helicopter hovers why isn't it thousands of miles away from where it starts"

7. diamondsink

diamondsink Kyouto Drift

Its the old if you throw a ball in the air inside a moving train question.

8. brennon

brennon Active Member

there is :thumbs:

9. Flipfoot

Flipfoot 三日坊主

Well well well, I must say I'm impressed! Was expecting to get a lot of spazzy answers but you all got it in 1! Kudos!

10. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

it was hardly a mind boggler, by the thinking of the question if you jumped in the air you'd land in the next village :wack:

11. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

LOL, flipfoot, a question taxing to you, is only a mind bender for the occupants of the rainbow bus :p

12. Flipfoot

Flipfoot 三日坊主

You mis-read Sam, wasn't taxing me, but seems to have boggled some peeps over on SO.com. Thought I'd stick it up here and see what happened.:D

The one that still boggles me is this:
    [​IMG]
    :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

"A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the plane take off?"

[Awaits ensuing debate of not this again]:wack:

13. mc_bob

mc_bob Active Member

Really?

The wheel speed has no effect on the plane speed, because the wheels arent driven. If the air turbines would pull a plane at 5mph on a normal road, itd pull it the same on a rolling road.

14. mint

mint touch my fruit

If the belt were to continue to accelerate allowing the engines to continue to working then yes. If the aircraft got up to speed on the belt and the belt just matched the speed then no. I think.. lol.

15. DevilsTower

DevilsTower full of lulz.

No, the speed of the aircraft's wheels is not linear to the ground speed. If you dyno your car, you're still standing still even though your speedometer is reading 120mph.

The principle of strong headwind making it easier to take off/land on mega short distances is very existant though, I don't know if you've heard of the term STOL - but here it is:
    YouTube - ‪cubdriver749er.com - demo video 2‬&rlm;

16. mint

mint touch my fruit

What kind of plane? lol.

17. mc_bob

mc_bob Active Member

The only drag backwards on the plane caused by the belt would be the in-efficiency of the bearings, which really, is nothing.

The belt could do whatver it liked and the plane wouldnt be affected.

18. Keefe

Keefe Majestic12

Ergh the plane one winds me the fuck up haha.

The Mythbusters attempt at doing this was WEAK as hell, basically a plane driving down the runway as per, except it drove over a massive sheet :wack:. Not the point of the problem at all because the plane just carried on driving forwards over the sheet..

The only way to test it properly would be to use something like this..

[​IMG]

I'm fairly sure that car isn't producing (any meaningful) downforce right there ;)

19. - Fezcock -

- Fezcock - Guest

For the love of fuck, someone delete this thread before the debate on the aircraft thing gets going again! :smokin::cool:

20. mc_bob

mc_bob Active Member

I dont get what your trying to get at.

Itd make no difference if it was on a sheet or on a tread mill, its still travelling in the other direction.