Double Caliper Handbrake

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by simarkbotak, May 31, 2011.

1. simarkbotak

simarkbotak New Member

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the use of double caliper handbrakes (separate hydraulic handbrake) setup.

What are the pros/cons?

Thanks,

Mark

2. o0o

o0o -=Proud_A31_Owner=-

don't do it...just hook up your brakeline and use it like it is atm its perfect buddy trust me;)

pro=cause its seperate braking is normal when you pull the ebrake at same time
    con=you got much more to look after and if you do it not right it can be very dangerous...

i did that on my old bmw few years back, was drifting abit around in public and donno how caliper got loose and stuck between disk and rim...in the end i spun out and wasn't able to move the car on middle of the superhighway, the half caliper stuck in my rim^^

thats one of a few reasons why you shouldn't do it...if you do it right ok works fine but u never know:D

3. simarkbotak

simarkbotak New Member

Thanks for the heads up.

Did the bracket come loose or something?

I see most of purpose built/competition drift cars are now running double caliper systems. i.e. Matt Powers Wilwood setup

Any other comments out there?

Cheers
    :smokin:

4. Clive

Clive Active Member

What car?

If Nissan, just fit skyline rear brakes and handbrake Mech, job done :)

5. swiftmini

swiftmini Active Member

Iam doing this on my car.

I can't think of any cons if you do it correct. Imo drum brakes suck, can't be assed with always adjusting cables. My disc hydraulic handbrake has NEVER once let me down, I can rely on it.

Anyways on matt powers car they made up a plate that gets sandwiched between the knuckle and the hub/bearing carrier. If you use 10mm plate you will need 10mm spacers to make the primary caliper line up with the disc.

As I said, this is something iam working on for my own car :nod: I have some sexy four pots that were fitted too my mini. Hopefully they will be wide enough to fit over r33 disc

6. Nicksetup

Nicksetup Member

def a plus but depends on your level. With one caliper with handbrake and foot brake on same line when you pull handbrake you lose all foot pedal feel and also you cannot run a proper bias braking system and adjust foot brake balance from front to back. If you have separate caliper for handbrake you can run a full bias braking setup on foot brake. This a def plus for a good driver.

7. simarkbotak

simarkbotak New Member

Nissan Cefiro A31, still running stock rear brake with inline hydro handbrake

Thanks for the tip

Cheers, I'm still learning, so I guess I'll pop it on my to-do list for later:dw:

8. Rotawheels

Rotawheels Member

Ive just been contemplating this myself, however I was thinking of using an entirely seperate system with servo

Reason being with my last hydro, (S14a) I kept bending the handbrake from pulling on it too hard (needed to pull mega hard to get it to lock)

Im thinking either
    A) S14's have some kind of restrictor for the rear brake pipes, however removing this would mean the rear brakes would be too aggressive when using the foot brake?

B) S14's have shit calipers

C) Hydros are always hard to lock?

Anyone running a servo'd hydro ?

9. angrydan

angrydan raaage

do it!!

i was going to do it to my geomasters as there is loads of room on the rear hub main plate to weld on two tabs to mount another caliper!!

then use a normal hydro handbrake setup but have a pot on the in line for the slave cylinder = job done!!!

10. simarkbotak

simarkbotak New Member

What size cylinder are you using?

My first setup was using a 3/4 (0.75) Cylinder, low mounted handle, yes, it was damn hard to lock.

Now I'm using a 5/8 (0.625) Cylinder, standing handle, it's so easy to lock up the rears, with slightly more handle travel

Here's a pick in the AHT Garage "Brute" update

Thanks for the tip. I'm saving up for some DW hubs

:dw:

#10 simarkbotak, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011