1jz or 1uz???

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Jager, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jager

Jager Member

hey guys,

well firstly i have little to no mechanical knowledge! but... i have a s14a and am looking at getting into drifting.

I am thinking about changing the engine from the sr to either a 1jz or the 2uz ... i mean i love v8's purely for the sound ..... I am wondering if anyone with more knowledge than me -

how much hassle would it be to swap for one of those engine, what else do i need to worry about besides the engine ect .... which of the two would be most benificial in terms of power/setup and parts aswell .... which if any of the engines have tunning parts more readily available ??

any info would be greatly appriciated!

thanks
    Joel.

2. MrLuke

MrLuke #172

lol.

Dont bother.

3. CNA-DK

CNA-DK Member

Do as MrLuke says.

4. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

Sr will be fine!

5. mra

mra New Member

If you dont have that much knowledge, then don't bother. If you really want a swap, just swap in another Nissan engine, thats easier.

6. mitsi_matt

mitsi_matt dorihomo

great idea, rip out a perfectly capible (awesome) engine & try to replace it with something totally unneccesary until you get to an epic standard at drifting.

will more than likley cost a fortune or never get finished & whilst its being built you could have become DK at practice days with the sr that is already in place!

lol im grumpy today!!!!!!

7. richy d

richy d Active Member

whats wrong with the sr??

if you want to get into drifting..attend some dwyb days.whats the point ripping the sr out to try fitting something you (probably) arnt capable of fitting??

just use the sr as is for a while,get some seat time,and if need be modify the sr for more powers etc...

8. MrLuke

MrLuke #172

Alternatively buy mine.

9. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

no point changing engines unless your getting into mega high power and reliability starts to affect you.

10. milez

milez Active Member

you do know a 1jz isnt a v8 lol

11. Ed

Ed Anti-Dibs

Fit an LS V8, much better

12. o0o

o0o -=Proud_A31_Owner=-

doesn't make really sense fitting something with monster power in somebodys car which isn't able to use that power:D

don't get me wrong but why inversting that much money in a car for a beginner?

i would invest the money first in suspension and a huge load of tires^^

13. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

Sr is fine for drifting but you do need to do a fair few mods to give It enough power. As standard it has problems keeping the arse end out at speed. And really struggles if you have anything other than stock wheels on.
    Ive just got mine to stage 1a (280bhp and 295ft/lb) and it's loads better. Prob cost me about 700 to get it to a good stage 1a spec. But that's not Including the clutch that it now needs ha.

14. Jager

Jager Member

Milez yeah i know a 1jz isnt a v8 .... but the uz is. i was torn between the two engines straight 6 or v8.

thanks for the replies.... in fairness i wouldnt have done the work myself otherwise it would never get finished ... i will however take your advice and hold off for now and just play around with the set up i have now and see how i go in the future.

well atm its had most of the work done to it ... just needs an uprated fuel pump and suspension....

thanks

#14 Jager, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  15. Emperor

Emperor Member

[​IMG]
    i hate LS1 engines

go with a UZ:smokin: MAD ITBS for the win and near indestructable:D