Halfrauds prices and insurance replacement

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by HippoSleek_J, Sep 8, 2011.

1. HippoSleek_J

HippoSleek_J Active Member

Before I get the torrent of "dude don't buy things from there", I must explain.
    My daily was crashed in to on Friday night, smashed to bits, including the audio I had in the boot. So my insurance company forwarded my details to Halfords insurance replacement. Anyway, I explained the spec of the stuff I had (quite in to my audio so it was a good set up) and they said they would do some research and get back to me with equivalents. So they rang back and offered me some Alpine stuff, not really the spec I wanted but they gave me an amount that they would send me a voucher that I could spend on what ever I wanted... in their store :(
    So, I went in today and gave them the codes of the Alpine stuff I wanted and the sub (SWX-1243d) came back as being £554.54 when I have seen them on line, brand new, for £290!
    This might sound daft to most people, but I am reluctant to get things that aren't the spec I had before and now I'm limited to the shit they sell at the stupid prices they do.
    Ok, rant over :nod:

2. Dylan

Dylan JZS14FTW

Halfords do price match ;)

3. GTS GAV

GTS GAV Active Member

If I had an insurance claim and the insurance company said to me, "where not going to replace your car with the same car you had say merc, we will give you the equivalent to it, you can pick any skoda you like they all range from 100,000pounds an you have a 30,000 voucher"

I would tell them to go suck a fucking dick quite frankly.

Speak to you insurance company an explain your are not happy with the situation, ask to see if you can source your own identical items you had before, and will settle for nothing less, you insured your shit, they have to replace it end of in my eyes

4. Sk3rry

Sk3rry Member

Exactly thats all the advice needed they cant say well you had a lambo so heres a corsa same principal if its like for like then you say you want identical items :thumbs:

5. Adam

Adam Active Member

Plus halfords price match anything also so just go down that route .

6. DanGlennon

DanGlennon Member

My dad had load of bother with insurance not long ago, he had a ST mondeo that was insured for a value of £2500. Got written off by some bellend who ran a red light. Insurance offered him £1200 to replace the car so he told them to go fuck theirselves. It took 10 months to get through after loads of phone calls and letters to the head man at quinn but eventually he got £2300 to get a new car with. Be firm with your insurers, you paid for it so get them told, don't take no shit either!

7. Sk3rry

Sk3rry Member

Or as adam says halfords price match either way dont settle until your happy

8. GethinD

GethinD [][][][][][][][][][]

Same here. Wrote my R32 off last year and the original settlement figure my insurance offered me was £1000, I laughed at this so they came back with £1600, I laughed again, then they offered my £2100 which was what I paid for it so I accepted. Easy.

9. HeftyDanielson

(I work for Halfords. It's a job while at college/uni. Please hold the hate)

All you need is proof that the other item is cheaper and they should price match it to the cheaper one as long as it's not from sites like Amazon/Play/ebay. :D

Also as said before. be firm with your insurers, they want to to just take the little amount of money and go. Just go for the spec you had before.

10. HippoSleek_J

Thanks for the reply's people. I wasn't sure if it was just me being fussy about it, but fuck it, I'll be an arse till I get what I want then.
    Cheers Hefty, I'll get some evidence and go back with armed and ready :thumbs:

11. daz_s13

daz_s13 Member

I also work for halfords and can comfirm we do price match, HOWEVER it is not matched against on line retailers, only from other shops within a 20 mile radius. If you have a local independent audio shop get a price from them and then go back to Halfords with that. Also try and get friendly with the manager, explain the situation and hopefully they will help you out!

12. Sk3rry

Sk3rry Member

As the good book says treat others as you wish to be treated insurance companys charge way too much being arseholes so we should then be arseholes back until we get what we pay for :nod:

13. HippoSleek_J

Ah right cheers for that info mate. Bit of a problem with that as my local one has no real audio place near by. Could I just go to a different Halfords and use the audio shops round there to price match? There is a few good ones closer to Manchester center.

14. Adam

Adam Active Member

buy a copy of maxpower/redline/fastcar or any chavbased mag and there will be a billion adverts in the back just look for the addresses. In fact read them in tescos to save any embarressment in purchasing them.

15. Adam

Adam Active Member

16. HippoSleek_J

17. crazydave

crazydave Member

as i now work for an insurance company i would deffo say look at the contract. most contracts say will pay up to *** amount for permanently fitted audio and visual equipment.
    if you can prove the amount you payed for that in the first place the will probably pay same amount out if not then they will give you the equivalent to what it is worth now

18. HippoSleek_J

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy with the amount they have offered me. It's the having to deal with Halfords that I have a problem with. It just reduces choice massively. But, as advised above, I will make a few calls and see what happens. Thanks for the info though man.

19. crazydave

crazydave Member

no worries dude best of luck