First car ideas, insurance ect..

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Leno, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Leno

Leno Member

Hi everyone, I dont really post on here that often partly because i prefer just to sit back and watch, but mainly due to me only passing my test in June and have no experence with rwd/proper cars at all!

I know this is DRIFTworks, and not shitfwdcrap works, but im hoping there are a few youngsters on here like myself with the same kind of interests as me (ie. no rice) that can help me out.

Like i said i passed my test in June this year :D and luckily my mum has been kind enough to let my drive her 998cc corsa. However i have recently managed to get a job, and would like to buy something slightly quicker/more fun to drive.

Obviously insurance at this age will stop me from getting anything too fantastic, depending on the prices of insurance im thinking of waiting till i have a years ncb, but i would like some ideas now so i can ring around companys to get some quotes!

Basically if you are 17/18ish and own a car i would like to know;

What is it?
    What is the insurance like (roughly)?
    Is it your own insurance policy?

Sorry if this has been posted before, i did search but due to me being lazy i didnt check every page!

Many thanks in advance,

2. Damianator

Damianator Member

Basically theres naf all i passed last year (21 then) and i was paying £2000 for a 1.2 punto fully comp bear in mind i hated the slow peice of crap. I now drive a mx5 1.6 and thats £1200 fully comp. Best bet get a low cc car for the first year then start looking into better cars. 1 years ncb helps a lot stick with your own corsa :thumbs:

3. Ridders92

Ridders92 Member

Alright mate,

I'm 18 and drive a 60 plate Volkswagen Fox 1.2

[​IMG]

Not my one but the same model and colour

It's not the ''coolest'' car but it doesn't look to bad and it has plenty of poke for the size of engine.

I pay £2200 a year on insurance and it is my own policy.

4. B.Martin

B.Martin Member

What about one of those shit volvos you an get? Cheap rwd fun, I'm sure somone onn here will be able to tell you more than me...

5. Ollie

Ollie LOOSE!

i know insurance has gone up, but paying over £2k for a first years insurance sounds fucking ludicrous. Just find some ropey old cheap as shit car and drive that for two or three years until it dies a death - deal with the fact your're rolling around on the skankiest set of wheels going, don't give a shit about it (apart from servicing and tyres etc) - throw your bmx in the back, fill it full of shit and skanky girls, get the foam seats all soaked in fanny juice, then when you finally stop having such a laugh crashing into your friends shitheaps at traffic lights, scrap it and realise you now have enough money to insure a slightly better car a little bit cheaper.

worked for me.

6. DanGlennon

DanGlennon Member

Passed when I was 18, in the first year I had a 1.3 civic and a 1.6 mondeo, both of which were £1200 on insurance.
    Had a couple of cars since then been a similiar price.
    I'm now 22, 2 years no claims, driving a shitbox 1.2 corsa and paying £600 insurance.
    Until your 25 I wouldn't set your sight too high unless you've got the finance to back it up.
    Go for something small as you can, 1.0 or similiar, go on your own policy where you get all your own no claims and try not to crash lol.

7. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

S14 21 2 years no claims £975 or if I can pull it off £410 as a kit car :p

8. wst

wst Member

19y/o, 02 Corsa 1.2, 1 years no claims, driveway/workplace car park, £1550ish fully comp (first year fully comp was £2063, 3pft was more expensive!).

Lacks any power, so find yourself a B road and throw it and don't brake and it's just about fun (kept up with a copper that was doing blues and twos this evening, but that's because they were doing NSL...). Meh standard music box thing. Distorts horribly at moderate volumes. Does the job kinda, just like the rest of the car. The skinny tyres do help in the winter though, loads of grip. Which is handy, because you'll have to dodge retards in SUVs that can't drive when there's snow (if there's snow...) because they get into tankslappers and can't get out of them...

Thing is, I got a quote on a 1.8 MX5 last month, and they (Sky) was saying £1450-ish. You need to be 19 to go with Sky, but it's worth a look in a few years. I'm 3/4ths of my way to my 2nd year NCB though so I have to wait a while before I get said MX5, or waste the last 9 months >_>

9. lukoz

lukoz New Member

How the fuck ? im 21 with 2 years no claims, got a stock s14 paying £1500 and that is the cheapest quote i had by £800!!!

& when i passed my test my first car was a 1.4 x reg civic, 1850 for insurance :( but the car was basically free so it sort of balanced out luckily. check the insurance groups of anything you are interested in, think my civic was 7 or 8 and wasnt exactly quick. good luck

#9 lukoz, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  10. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

Stocks even easier as you need to shop around and add your mother :)

11. lukoz

lukoz New Member

cant... she doesnt have a licence lol

12. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

one of my friends added his nan to his evo X policy and it dropped 2 grand :D

13. DanGlennon

DanGlennon Member

Thats my Grandad getting a phone call tommorow :thumbs:

14. lukoz

lukoz New Member

Yeh i might have to ring the old nan tommorow also ;)

15. warby

warby Lifestyler Deluxe

22 (2weeks ago), 2yrs ncb, 5 years accident / claim free driving, s14 stage 1 with coilies, wheels, adjustable arms etc declared. Low crime zone (non existent) £1k approx p/a. That's with ma & pa as named drivers even though they refuse to drive the hideous contraption :)

Did pay £2800 for a mk4 golf v6 4motion at 19 with 0ncb, no mods and only 3 yrs experience. Bum still hurts!

Low no claims due to coming off a trade policy and being shafted on the 3yrs no claims I had amassed and was told I'd receive :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. bmurf

bmurf Member

1.4 renault clio 80hp, quite nippy payed 1200 insurance third party F&T with 2 convictions and at the highest postcode in northern ireland. argos back box and wheels sprayed white with b&q radiator paint lol and have fun for a year. paid £270 for it too so didnt care much about it

17. deano_123

deano_123 Member

get something retro, im talking like 80s, they're cheap as chips to insure, i used my NCB on my daily, on my other car, a sunbeam lotus, i paid 210 a year with 0 NCB

18. Sk3rry

Sk3rry Member

Every time we have a fuckin bomb scare which s usually a bin bag or somethin stupid insurances slaps on wild figures. didnt know we where the highest in the counrty tough should belfast around ardoine not be up there?? ohh nice to see somebody else from newry :thumbs:

19. giacomo

giacomo New Member

believe it or not, minis can be kind of cheap to insure, none of that new shit, the old ones! i paid 1600 ish when i first past wrote my first austin off, now i have another, 19 now and pay 1500 fully comp, right off to my name, all mods declared, supsension, engine mods, head work, manifolds ect, caged up, buckets wheels and all that and unlimited mileage, bee a little different plenty out there with ptoential :)

20. bmurf

bmurf Member

yea according to autoline bt35 postcodes are the fuckin higest insurance then bt34 then bt11 which i think is around belfast