Running questions

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Angrypanda, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Angrypanda

Angrypanda Member

Hi guys i have a question concerning my s14,

I have a standard engine internals wise s14a engine, egr completely removed and aircon remmoved,

I have put a large fmic and airfilter and exhaust on it,

I have been hitting fuel cut, and don't know why, I have a manual boost controller set at the min, and it kept blowing intercooler pipes off, when I run it with actuator pressure and take the controller off it's fine.

I have a set of nissmo 740cc injectors and a uprated fuel pump would putting these on help, and get a h-dev stage 2 chip or is it a boost leak which is causing a surge,

And one last question would the standard ecu run 740cc injectors and a uprated fuel pump at 10psi?

2. Angrypanda

Angrypanda Member

Has any one got any ideas

3. SteveC200

SteveC200 Used to drift, now I don't.

What boost are you actually getting when its hitting FC? I presume you have a boost gauge? If not, dont fuck around with the boost.

4. B.L

B.L Member

That mbc is probably not working giving rather high boost.:wack:

5. HermaN

HermaN Member

Breathing mods such as air filter and exhaust can cause boost creep, but the fact it does it with the MBC, even when it's not bleeding off any air (or not meant to be) and does not do it when straight off the actuator indicates the MBC is not working right, because when its not bleeding air off it should run actuator pressure.

As said above, do not mess with boost without a boost gauge. To answer your question, no a bog standard ECU will not work with 740cc injectors, but fitting the fuel pump will be fine and is something I would do right away.

Also, to get your 740cc injectors working you will need to get a custom remap, because even the H-Dev Stage 3a chips are only made for Nismo 555cc injectors. To remove boost cut with just an air filter, exhaust and 15 psi of boost you need a "stage 1" chip.

6. Angrypanda

Angrypanda Member

When you remove the fuel cut with a 1a chip, that should run ok with my mods as I haven't fitted the 740's yet, and I have a boost gauge, but the mbc was a cheap one, is the one sold by h-dev any good or can you recommend a good controller are electric ones better?

7. HermaN

HermaN Member

Stage 1 chips are for....

Free flow air filter
    Free flow exhaust
    Uprated fuel pump
    Boost controller to achieve 15psi boost pressure
    Super unleaded fuel (>97 RON)

Stage 1a chips are for....

Free flow air filter
    Free flow exhaust
    Uprated fuel pump
    Boost controller to achieve 17psi peak boost pressure
    Front mount intercooler
    Super unleaded fuel (>97 RON)

So for you with the front mount already fitted a Stage 1a chip and 17 psi of boost will be fine.

Personally I do not rate any MBC, the one H-Dev sell may or may not be better. Electronic boost controllers are better at holding boost and can be set to bring in boost more aggressively by altering the gain.

I would go with an EBC over an MBC, a good cheaper end of the scale EBC is the GReddy Profec B, the Gizzmo is even cheaper, but I find the Greddy is better and worth that little bit extra.

Totally u to you though, as long as you get 17 psi of boost it doesnt really matter if its with an EBC or MBC.

You will not be able to fit your 740cc injectors unless custom mapped, and at your current level of tune are not needed. Keep them aside for when you fit a bigger turbo like the T2871r

8. Angrypanda

Angrypanda Member

Ok I'll save the 740's for when I get a bigger turbo, and I'll get a stage 1a chip sorted, with a ebc a greedy one there simply to set up etc, also can anyone recommend a good turbo timer for a 14a?
    Kris