New MOT rules for 2012

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by mushtafa, Oct 18, 2011.

1. mushtafa

mushtafa Member

I had a quick look, couldn't see another thread.

Here is a link to the purposed new testing manual for 2012. As far as we know (MOT testers) at the moment, these new items are only going to be advisory notes until April. After this, they will be failures.

New items include, HID lights, airbags, wiring, batteries, inner CV boots, suspension joint grease boots etc etc.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT Inspection Manual.pdf

Have a look at the manual, all the new stuff is highlighted with a vertical line next to it. They aren't all 100% yet, but most likely will be.

I've got my MOT refresher course next week, so will find out more info then :nod:

2. mushtafa

mushtafa Member

3. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

I see no mention of HID lights in there, seems to be only little stuff like cv joints, dodgy wiring and corroded fuel pipes.

4. kwalker705

kwalker705 Member

I'd head rumours about the HID's being a fail if they didnt have a height adjustment function and headlamp washers and wipers.. But my 98 aristo came with HID's and no washers or wipers .

What I've heard recently is that if the HID beam pattern is out of alignment then that'll mean a fail. But that'd count for normal headlights anyway so its nothing new.

5. mushtafa

mushtafa Member

When we first read about the new changes, it was worded different. If HIDs are fitted it needed auto leveling headlamps/suspension and washer system. If any system didn't work, or the system didn't exist, it would fail. I've just reread that bit in the manual and they've changed it. Who knows? Hopefully they'll drop a lot of it out.

Another annoyance will be missing airbags/pre-tensioners. How many people on this forum have kept the standard steering wheel? I'm pretty sure I didn't. :(

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

6. Liam.

Liam. Active Member

I Cant see many people on here being affected mate . Have you seen some of the cars lol?

7. davey

davey Active Member

i really dont think the air bag thing will be an issue, i think it will fall into the same thing as seatbelts, if they're not there, you can't test them, so you can't fail them ;)

but airbags have been WAY over due, they are a safty issue for normal people in normal car (not us dicking around in ratty datsuns) when you think VOSA say you can fail a car for a headlamp aim being slightly to low or high but if you have a crash and you airbag does'nt go off, well thats no where near as important as the headlamp aim, m.o.t's are a load of bollocks

8. Rads_s13

Rads_s13 DWYB & DRIFT TAXI

2.2 doesn't sound good for anyone with modified knuckles!

9. niko

niko md

I'm afraid that will most likely not be the case. Currently EU is aligning the vehicle regulations to be more or less the same in all EU-countries. E.g. Germany and a few other EU-countries already have the mentioned regulation regarding HID-lights, and I doubt they will change it.

The auto-leveling and washers are indeed important since the HID-beam pattern is much more sensitive to dirt than conventional halogen ones. LEDs again not, so this regulation will most likely only apply to HIDs.

Edit: if you're unlucky, HIDs can only be used with approved HID-lenses, i.e. one cannot (legally) use HID bulbs with lenses, which were originally made for halogen bulbs.

#9 niko, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  10. mushtafa

mushtafa Member

As far as I understand the airbag situation, if a component is missing, it fails? Ie. Aftermarket steering wheels. I don't know how this would affect people running bucjet seats and harnesses, obviously the seatbelt pretensioners would be removed. I also read somewhere we have to test the seat can be moved backwards and forwards, again I don't know what happens if a bucket seat is fitted in a fixed position? Ie no sliding mechanism

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

11. Piercy

Piercy Skid Skid Skid.

if harnesses are fitted the stock belts must also exist or its an MOT fail (is how i understood it). Also, iirc, they are illegal to be used on the road but not illegal to fit (again provided normal belts exist).

12. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

I spoke to my MOT tested a week ago about this and he said that part won't be in the test, as long as they are 'E' marked and the beam pattern is ok they will pass.

13. Yeah_Mick

Yeah_Mick Beauty Purr!

i only had a harness in my old 14 and that passed an mot fine.

14. Piercy

Piercy Skid Skid Skid.

hmm maybe im wrong then :S :D

15. lozza

lozza ChickFoot FTW!

Come on who actually genuinely passes MOT nowdays anyway! lol just a couple more rules to dodge around.

16. scottymills

am the only one thinking if you need an airbag / standard seat belt to pass.. then a fuck load of standard cars that run theses (im talking things like the ATOM and top end supercars) will instantly be a fail ?

17. LOKISY

LOKISY Member

Dont weld your knucles kids your gunna have to buy the :dw: ones lol

18. Hails

Hails Chick drifter :)

I guess I won't be buying the mx-5 a nice steering wheel then!

Also what do people think on the CAT rule? I had the mine off both the 13 and the Evo as wasn't needed.... in fact having read the new rules, I'm glad I sold both cars as neither would pass an MOT now.

19. Car Media

Car Media Doughnut eater

None of the new suggestions have been passed in parliament yet so will wait and see :thumbs:

20. Ed

Ed Anti-Dibs

I'm gonna buy a stock standard S13, S14 and E36 and rent them out to people on thier MOT days!!

Probably illegal, so would have to price this service accordingly!!!