Cometic head gasket

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by combattuk, Jan 2, 2012.

1. combattuk

combattuk Member

Has anybody had any experience with cometic multi layer steel head gaskets for sr20det I'm looking at doing the timing chain n want to upgrade a couple of bits along the way, it's pushing around 300bhp with no plans to go past that

2. EFKA

EFKA Member

i think you don't need to ugrade HG for your 300bhp..stock headgasket good for these numbers. but if you still want to upgrade this,you need arp head studs,because without studs, it does not make sense..about HG, in my opinion better choose cosworth HG,then cometic..

#2 EFKA, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  3. combattuk

combattuk Member

main reason I ask is there doing a kit on eBay with pretty much every oil seal and gasket to do a full top and bottom rebuild, n there made by cometic the kits £224 posted!!

4. Skidder166

Skidder166 Member

ive seen this kit.

Anyone used cometic gaskets before? Was also planning to purchase this kit next month

5. GKD

GKD Member

Use a Nissan gasket, cometic arnt the best gaskets about, an oem gasket wil be fine at that power,and it will seal much better if surfaces are not being skimmed.

6. turbo_nutter

turbo_nutter Member

i would never use a cometic headgasket. utter poop. cosworth are the way to go :)

7. Skidder166

Skidder166 Member

Has anyone actually used a cometic though? Did it fail?

Might be worth buying and just selling the HG and buy a decent HG seperatly

8. combattuk

combattuk Member

Iv been looking at cosworth etc but I thought it's abit extreme for the power I'm running but then again better to be safe then sorry, I'm defo going with arp head bolts though, I'm trying to keep the costs down without sacrificing safety so to speak

9. GTS GAV

GTS GAV Active Member

Turbo nutter please explain to me why cometic are "utter poop"?

I no of countless people an friends including myself that are using one, nearly 40psi 600hp anti lag etc etc and still holding up like a treat I have full faith in them. And yet to here of one failing on its own accord I.e not det induced.

Go for it combat, one thing tho do you no the thickness you require? As you may buy it only to be the wrong size when you cum to building it up.

Hope this helps

10. combattuk

combattuk Member

^^how would I know what size to go for?

Iv contacted the shop selling them as he's got listings for s14 and 15 but I need it for ps13 so waiting on reply

11. DANB

DANB Active Member

Used them on around 4 different engines of mine and know lots of other people who used them fine.
    As with all mhg you need to make sure that both surfaces are flat.
    I'm running a cometic street gasket kit myself.

12. combattuk

combattuk Member

Best idea then is a head skim aswell!
    how would I make sure the block is good?

13. turbo_nutter

turbo_nutter Member

cometic seal very well around the cylinders, but compared to the others the sealing around the oil/waterways is poor and i have seen a few fail on different cars

#13 turbo_nutter, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  14. diamondsink

diamondsink Kyouto Drift

I'm using one, its has also been reused 3 times (bottom end problems) the car is running 430hp. The last time i used it with a coat of WellSeal to to be safe. I also have ARP headstuds. I fairness the engine hasn't done loads of miles yet but i cant foresee any issue not with how tight the arp studs pull the head down. (85ftlbs)

15. combattuk

combattuk Member

so basically cometic are good if I use arp head bolts and a skim, I think I'm going to go down that route and buy the kit and give it a go

16. EFKA

EFKA Member

Take a metal ruler or other smooth surface, add it to the engine block, and from other side of ruler shine with lamp..

17. Skidder166

Skidder166 Member

Good tip,

I will also go for the cometic kit then.

18. combattuk

combattuk Member

Cool I suppose using something with a straight edge and some feeler gauge will do the job too,

If my block is not flat is it a simple case of getting it skimmed like u do the heads?

19. GTS GAV

GTS GAV Active Member

With regards to HG sizing I would first start at what the stock HG thickness is

as if you want to compression ratio as stock what I expect you will, you want to add whatever material is removed unless within tolerance, a very very basic way of doing It is say the stock HG is 1.2mm (I'm unsure the exact thickness on the sr's) and say you have to remove say .5 add .5 onto the stock HG thickness to give you the size you need ie 1.7mm, as said tho that's a very basic way of doing it. But you get the idea.

20. combattuk

combattuk Member

ah right got ya so what ever amount I have skimmed I need to add to the gasket thickness, if I ended up changing the compression ratio would it be a bad thing?