if you had £50k spare cash what would you invest in?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Nickson-Msport, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Nickson-Msport

Nickson-Msport Active Member

if you had 50k lying about, what would you invest in, as a way of making more money? be it making a quick buck, or a long term investment for the future!

given the way of the world atm, the fact prices for most things are dropping due to people not really having a lot of money, now could be a good time to invest money in things rather than having it in the bank?

buisness oppotunitys that could thrive in the current climate given a bit of spare cash etc

im not in anyway saying i have 50k lying about, as i dont lol. but just interested in peoples opinions on the best place to put money these days?

be interesting to hear peoples thoughts!
    :thumbs:

2. MAGIC RANDY

MAGIC RANDY Member

I intend on investing mine in property to rent due to the lack of people buying houses but still having the need to have a house :-)

3. tudor.

tudor. Member

in a franchise kfc or something i don't know if 50k will cover it , but is an idea people got to eat

4. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

Land + planning permission = MINTED

5. MAGIC RANDY

MAGIC RANDY Member

Land + planning permission = need for deep pockets

6. Nickson-Msport

does 50k buy you enough land worth buying though? and finding land that you will obtain planning on for sure must be difficult, and if u buy the wrong land, you could end up with a field no1 wants to buy?? 50k wont buy a property to rent either unless its a deposit toward a mortgage which i think would leave you with minimal profit on rental income??

7. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

Half to start a business

Other half for deposit on 2nd home (buy to let)

8. Mint Tyres

Mint Tyres Member

property to rent out, land, commercial property.

9. Liam.

Liam. Active Member

That would keep the missus happy for a few weeks! Personally I would start a funeral company . Good money in that

10. sherv

sherv New Member

ive been told that that nail salons,beauty parlors are doing well.if a woman can get the pampering treatment for £15-£20 she can afford it or the partner would pay,gone of the time you can go blow £100 on a meal or £300 for a weekend away.its the cheep feel good things that people can still afford.

sherv

11. turbo_nutter

turbo_nutter Member

if i had 50k spare ermmm, i would still spend it on my cars lol

12. aundre-3000

aundre-3000 Member

property to rent or invest in shares some northern oil companies xel oil for instance is a hugely undervalued share at 88p last time i looked 10 months ago it was £4 a share even though at the moment they have a rig and are ready to produce oil in the bentley oil field this year

13. Nickson-Msport

yeah stocks and shares can be a win or loose game, if the price of above oil rig has dropped massively then im sure its for a reason? in theory it looks like quite a safe way to increase your money, but if it looks like a sure win, then it most likely isnt! its the risky ones that give a return! my dad invested £90k in some uranium and nuclear energy stocks and shares, japans nuclear disaster happened, and they were worth about £10k!!! they have recovered quite well but still in negative, but if he holds on long term and nuclear energy grows and the companys he invested in find the uranium they are looking for, then its most likely quids in, on the other hand, if they dont, and nuclear energy goes to shit, then he has lost a hell of a lot of money! its a risky buisness and you have to do a hell of a lot of research as well as have some luck for it to go well! i have always been a bit dubious about it lol

14. bessell

bessell Member

If you thinking fairly long term you could put some into buying a few bottles of vintage wine, put some into buying a future classic car, then a deposit for an intrest only mortgage, and lease the property. Rental property is in high demand as no one is getting mortgages, give it a few years of rent and you should be able to skim enough for another deposit for more property. I doubt property values will get much lower, and they will increase again. All I would say is try and invest in a few small things rather than all of it in one thing as nothing is ever guaranteed.

15. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

i would buy some shares in 2 large supermarket chains as they are pretty low at the moment and within a few years they will be very valuable again. and also if they are competing against each other you won`t loose out if one of them loses value because the other one will increase in value.

i just sold two fifth`s of my shares with sainsbury`s and got back 150% what i put in originally.

16. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

The mortgage, really theres only 1 option, if youre a home owner.
    Or buy an Aerial Atom supercharged, have a year of fun and sell it for pretty much what you bught it for. Not an investment but minimal loss of your cash.

17. big fat nick

big fat nick smells

So many choices!

Option 1, The sensible,
    Theres a 1 bed newbuild near me in an ok area for 50k, i could probably manage a nicish 2 bed and get a lodger for £65k

Option 2, The one i'd probably do.
    buy one of those 7grand, current shape range rovers, 5k on a dedicated drift car and trailer, 10k on getting my truck/hiab/crane/fork truck/excavator licences so i can do the jobs i want/enjoy doing and spend the rest on travelling.

Option 3, the nutter,
    the world ends in december. spend the rest of the winter chasing waist deep powder in the canada/usa/japan's finest ski resorts. On my return, whatever ex comp car is avaliable for maybe 10k, become world streeto champ, and spend the rest on hookers, tyres and fuel.

Option 4, What i'd really like to do,
    Spend it on something (im thinking training/scam marriage) that would allow me to emigrate (having spend a year in each) to canada or aus. Where the future is bright and you can still own a house with a normal job.

And thats what my brain decided in 5 minutes, given an hour and a bottle of something good, i'm sure i could come up with something better

18. Marcar

Marcar Well Spoken Man
    Staff Member

The property market is dire however it will always be one of the safest things to invest in.

Grab yourself a city flat either London or Birmingham, get a buy to let mortgage and let it out. The chances of (city centre) property prices dropping any further than they are now are minimal, in my opinion it really has got to a stage now where it can't get any worse.

If all goes tits up or you need the money in 5 years time, get it sold worst case scenario is you'll get your cash back.

I was a property investment and portfolio manager for 4 years in London after leaving college.

19. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

I'd go to Japan and fill a few containers of JDM goodness to bring back and sell...
    50k isn't enough for property.

20. aundre-3000

aundre-3000 Member

yeah i can see what you mean between me and my old man we got about 3k in xel oil got us about 1k in shares and now at 90p a share its worth 900 quid but at the moment as it fluctuates up and down as selling and buying at the right time we atm got about 1.5k in shares with the same investment plus you only lose money if you sell

its due to a delay of production but the money and investment is there they have the rights to be the only company to drill in the bentley field out north there's about 160mil barrels of oil there. hopefully in the next 2 years it will be at around 6 pound a share