Rb25det placement in s13/s14

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by R33build, Jan 7, 2012.

1. R33build

R33build New Member

Hi

I wonder how is the placement on an rb25det in s13 and s14 if the std r33 crossmember is used?

How is the fitting in s13/s14 against each other? Wich of them will have the best placement?
    Or is it better to use custombuilt enginemounts on std s13/s14 crossmember?

2. Ton-Kin

Ton-Kin BDC Pro Driver

use r33 sub it sits perfectly

3. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

Fits perfectly is debatable. But fits easily yes definitely.

The r33 subframe sits it about 2-3 inches too far forward. With the r33 subframe you also need to trim the bonnet bracing and there is no chance of using a viscous fan due to it being so close to the rad.

You also have the fact that the ARB needs spacing down to clear the sump.

None of these are major issues really. But the main one that shows its too far forward is when you use an rb20 gearbox which fits the s13/14 prop the splines that go into the rear of the box don't go in that far.

Granted its very easy to just lob the engine on the r33 crossmember and then get the prop cut and shut as you will need to for the rb25 box anyway.

But I'd rather fit the engine where Nissan intended. You can buy engine mounts from the states that just bolt right up and allow it to slide in easy as pie. Saves you having to remove all the subframe and mod the above.

4. 4_Stroke

4_Stroke Member

R33 crossmember is not ideal but has become a common fix. If you use the standard crossmember and mod the mounts you can fit the engine 50mm further back and 25mm lower down. Much better for handling. its not that difficult to mod the crossmember to use R33 engine mounts.

5. 4_Stroke

4_Stroke Member

i was thinking of doing a drawing on how to modify the crossmember

6. Ton-Kin

Ton-Kin BDC Pro Driver

complete load of crap... if you use mounts to do it you will have to bash the living crap out the bulkhead and you will then have no where to put heater hoses, the sump will be so close to the floor you risk losing it lol

on the 33 subframe it goes straight it with about 25-30mm between the bulkhead and engine, just enough to put the heater hoses in there, it sits perfect height that the sump is just above level with the subframe and it doesnt hit the bonnet at all!

a pair of fans mount fine on the back of the rad, and no matter how many people tell you it will handle like crap there wrong! ive taken various people drifting in mine and theyve all been amazed at how it handles, the photographer at lynn said its the smoothest car hes ever been in...

but obviously because this is dw im going to be wrong even though ive done it all.... the main issue you will have is overheating, you will need to make your ducting very very good, i binned all mine and ended up vmounting it... so anyone that says theres no room for a fan at the front when its mounted on a 33 subframe.. LOL! heres a pic of mine vmounted on a 33 subframe

[​IMG]

engine is still in the original place on a 33 subby :)

7. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

I had mine on mounts. Yes I bashed the bulkhead but it's like tinfoil and takes about 3 mins to do.
    My heater hoses fit perfectly behind the head and my sump clears the arb with no sump modification and was higher than the bottom of the cross member so was nowhere near the floor.

I had a crappy little fan from a hyundai I found in the scrap yard and a DB power rad. Only just got hot by the end of a lap of the nurburgring running 400bhp from an eBay turbo powered rb20.

The cross member works but it's not the best position it can be as I said before.

Your dead right about the handling though. I've gone back to a CA now for cheapness of repair bills and the car doesn't handle much different at all.