Audi A3 V6 Quattro RWD??????

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by scotty153, Jan 24, 2012.

1. scotty153

scotty153 New Member

Hi Guys

Is it possible to convert the quattro to run RWD? ive seen it done on a few impreza's and it seems pretty easy to do, about a days work if im right? im after a drift car and ive somehow ended up with this car and im seriously considering converting it depending on how much of a job its going to be,

anybody have any ideas?

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Yes.

There was a Mk4 Golf V6 4 Motion at the last DWYB day at Pod.

Weld everything up that even looks like it might have the word Haldex on it somewhere, remove front shafts, away you go.

3. scotty153

scotty153 New Member

So basically the same as doing a subaru rwd conversion? may have to speak to my garage and get them involved with this, think could work pretty well with a rwd conversion and the v6 lump :)

4. manky toe man

manky toe man Member

i`d love to see you do it as it would be awsome to watch it skid, just make sure the rear drive shafts and diff are up to the job as i believe thats where people have probs with the impreza`s and other 4wd cars converted to rear,good luck though be cool if you pull it off:thumbs:

5. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Pretty much yeah.

The car seemed ok, and underneath a Mk4 4Motion is almost the same as a A3 V6.

He was just in the playpens and kidneys, but it seemed ok.

6. scotty153

scotty153 New Member

will get on the blower tomorrow and get the garage to check it out and also look into a stronger diff to cope with it, just hope the car isnt worth 50p once its done lol

7. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Why do you think you'll need a stronger diff? Its an Impreza problem because they are shit, not a 4wd rear diff problem.

The Mk4 that was at Pod had a stock one welded BTW.

8. taylor

taylor Active Member

as long as its not a haldex quattro system then i guess so,

9. warby

warby Lifestyler Deluxe

For reals???? ive a currently dead v6 4mo on the drive, always wanted to skid it.... :)

10. chazbob

chazbob Member

make sure you leave the splined ends in the front hubs.. they will collapse ;)

11. mk2zetec

mk2zetec New Member

If it is a haldex system then the answer is no. As far as im aware the a3 is basically a TT in a more frumpy frock. TT's are front wheel drive with the haldex apportioning power to the rear wheels when required. When power to the rears isnt required its FWD. Its a completely different system to a subaru.

The TT forum is massive - post a question on there, just be prepared to get the wrath of the purists.

12. Dori-points

Dori-points Member

Not on a Haldex!!! Though you can mount the engine longitudanally, use a passat subframe and box etc to convert to rwd... Quick google search and you should find something or an American forum like vwvortex or something? Anything like an Audi tt, golf 4 4motion or a Leon v6 will be the same? Loads have been done. Good luck!

13. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I think you'll find you're both talking bollocks!

The Mk4 Golf at DWYB was HALDEX, he just welded up everything, same as you would on ANY transverse 4wd, and hey presto 4wd. Like RWD Evos etc etc etc...

Fucking mounting the engine the other way to run RWD, ffs.

This is why forums are so shit, most the tech info is just guessed/presumed/recyled bollocks.

14. Mr Greggles

Mr Greggles Member

If it's FWD most of the time, would the drive shafts at the back need replacing with heftier units (in the long run)?

At a guess, they're probably only specced for a % of the total power / torque and will most likely shit themselves after a short time. I may be talking bollocks, mind.

15. Rossc0

Rossc0 Diesel Skidder

Just do it. If the shafts/Diff shit themselves then you know you'll need stronger ones, if they dont then youve saved money buying pointless shite.
    And if this 4motion stavs on about works then why wouldnt this? basicly the same thing

16. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Who knows if they strong enough?
    Some cars that have almost no power have incredibly strong transmissions/rear ends.
    Some cars that have loads of power and have piss weak transmissions.
    Some cars have weak diffs that are massively stronger once welded up.

4motions are Haldex, it will work.

In fact ANY 4wd system will, even the wanky Vauxhall Calibra 4wd setup.

17. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

There's a Calibra Drift car in Portugal :)

18. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

The Golf went well, I hope to see him again soon.

The guy is a mechanic and it was his first drift day, from memory he said he removed the front shafts and welded up the centre diff. He said they run FWD mostly only switching to 4WD when required. He was prepared for it to break and even had his dad on standby at home with a trailer.

Ian. :)

19. warby

warby Lifestyler Deluxe

Re the rear shafts on a 4mo: both the shafts and the joints look heftier than my s14 ones.

Weld the front diff / transfer unit up, mash the haldex unit together and weld rear diff. Remove front shafts. Sounds easy.

There is a nutter in Scandinavia somewhere that works for haldex and has written his own codes for his unit. Summat like a 90:10 split to the rear. That'd be fun but prob no use for proper drifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. scotty153

scotty153 New Member

cheers for all the info guys, smashed into a cone on the A1 last night (cone in middle or road black part facing me) and smashed all the front of the car in so far the quotes are 2k plus, so im actually hoping the insurance company will write the car off then i can buy it back and have a extra 2k to plough into this project for mods, for the mean time i have to play the waiting game until i hear back before i start welding stuff up :) all the shit thats smashed wont be important and its not like im not going to smash all the same bits up when skidding it around hahaha

will keep you updated on progress