open class

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by the stig, Feb 1, 2012.

1. the stig

the stig Active Member

whats the chance of the BDC introducing an OPEN class!!
    where the likes of phils car,space framed cars/pick ups etc would be allowed!

if there was enough intrest would BDC perhaps make it a reality!!??

just throwing this out there to see what people/BDC thinks!!!!

2. Gavwan

Gavwan Back to Black

I think the other reason BDC didn't want space framed cars was due to how they would be in a T-bone crash situation i.e lack of crumple zones

3. the stig

the stig Active Member

only argument i have with that1 is the way people are putting bracing bars behind there bumpers!!
    fornt and rear!
    seems some are planning on some nudging!!

4. -jamie-

-jamie- StrongFlex UK

have you seen the front of Nate Hamiltons V8 PS13 in america? The bracing it has at the front is like a battering ram!
    [​IMG]

Would be pretty cool to have an open class though!

#4 -jamie-, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  5. Gavwan

Gavwan Back to Black

AFAIK any tubular bracing on current BDC regs at front or rear of the car can't be attached by more than 4 10mm bolts so that they sheer in impact. Not against the idea of an unrestricted class mate but think that's why the regs are there for space frames :thumbs:

6. Sweeps

Sweeps Active Member

Can't see it happening anytime soon with the current climate. Yeah it would be nice to allow the wildest metal do battle but event then there would have to be rules.

As for Nates stock car, hands up who would like to twin with that? The thought of that hitting your door if your running a skin, fibreglass or any other would scare the shit outa me.

That's the reasons for bringing in restrictions on what is and isn't allowed now before we end up with cars like that.

7. MALX

MALX Active Member

Space frame cars are used in hot rods, upto 35 cars in a race and if you watch you tube you see that they do crash and Hard! but that is hot rods, they are safe and take a big hit, but its HOT RODS not drift, sweeps is totaly right in his approach to the classes and the car build spec,
    as for pick ups etc would be really good to watch, but difficult to control and police rules,

and love the front bumper on the V8, would be illegal in oval stock cars ! LOL:rolleyes:

8. the stig

the stig Active Member

wernt diggin at ya gav,love ya really in a NON gay way :)
    and i no sweeps has seen some overseas drivers who have what can only be described as battering rams!

only brought it up as a future possibility as the likes of phil\remmo n many more now have cars that wil no longer be eligable
    to compete,and i think it wil be a massive shame to loose these amazing driver/car combo!

oh and the recession is over,it must be true it says so on the moon!

9. Sweeps

Sweeps Active Member

Don't be confused by the new rules and regs though Steve.

The bumpers in this country were getting silly, I've seen some EXTREME :eek: stuff already this year and know what 'could' happen. If we bring in these rules now at least there is a bench mark being set which hopefully will means a safe as possible environment. :thumbs:

I spoke to a driver tonight who was involved in an accident while driving a car with a triangulated weld in cage and it moved 8 inches! ! ! ! :wack::eek: Food for thought.

The rules re the bulkhead/tunnel don't come into effect until 2014 :thumbs: so it's not like that's the last we'll see of the cars you mention for at LEAST another 2 years which is a long time away. Plus the number it will effect is minimal in the grand scheme of things. The new rules fall in line with FD rules and continues to make a level playing field for those that can't afford to build such extreme machinery. Plus it's only a matter of time before some one turns up with a death trap built with chewing gum and gaffer tape :smash:

10. the stig

the stig Active Member

yeah get ya sweeps ;)
    just thought id throw it out there!
    its good to see that the standard of uk cars is somewhat higher than ive seen elsewhere!! ill leave that there!:)

oh and your all gay!

11. Suprash

Suprash spl dori mater

So if you put some protecting tubing around your intercooler, you're not allowed to have it fixed to the car by anything more then x4 10mm bolts ?

Is this correct ?

12. Sweeps

Sweeps Active Member

13. Tomo

Tomo Member

So what happens when someone with all their bars hit me square in my door and the tube comes through my widow and stabs me in the face because some of it has sheered off????

14. MJG

MJG Active Member

Then you die, much like if someones turbo "shears off" and lands in your face

15. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

Or a lump of ice drops off a jumbo jet and smashes through your windscreen.

16. richy d

richy d Active Member

Fucking hate it when that happens!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

17. Tomo

Tomo Member

I wasnt going to rise to your twatish comment because I dont know you.
    I would expect mike to take the piss because thats mike and thats fine,
    but after reading your thred in drifting chat I felt the need to tell you what a bell end you are.
    Good luck with your days John I hope they give you reason to be alive and make you feel powerfull.
    But most of all hope nobody gets hurt.
    Lastly learn how to take the piss yourself and be original insted of following mike around.:thumbs:

#17 Tomo, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  18. Smilybrad

Smilybrad Active Member

I like the idea but keep getting frustrated by the comments about front end structures!

I'd rather get hit by nate hamiltons cars then a car with NOTHING! at the front end like most cars are being forced too as its a question of surface area... if you get hit by two chassis rails they could puncture the side of a car, but get hit by a load of steel to spread the load over the side of a car etc then the impact will be less lethal!
    P=F/a less area = more pressure at the impact point... its not difficult to imagine being hit by a hammer or a hammer hitting a nail on top of your hand at the same force... one would hurt, the other would nail your hand to the table!...

Not having a dig at anyone but some Engineering thought would be a good idea.

Brad =)