1800kg tow capacity

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Lucasdemoley, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

I just my new company car and as a surprise it came with a tow bar! Looking online, seems the tow capacity of the car is 1800kg (v60 D4 manual). I know I need a licence, but what options are out there, trailer/ car that would work within 'legal' limits.

Thanks for advice.

2. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

A decent twin axle trailer is usually 400-700kg, But manufacturers should have that info. I'd have thought you could have a lightened S13 on a Woodford trailer for example.

3. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

Cool thanks. How much do you think a lightend s13 may come in at? I was looking previously at 350z as a different plan, but that will be way over weight. (1600kg car alone).

So really I need a car around 1200kg... not much to play with!

4. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

A sub 1200kg S13 is no problem. You can do it in an S14 too. You just need to be careful with things like cage choice.
    The other thing I'd say is that you shouldn't tow unless you really need too. Driving a drift car to events made some of my favourite memories. We only started towing when we had to take loads of stuff.

5. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

Ah ok cool. Get your point about driving, just think it will likely break down then I'm stuck lol! Also, it's just space and costs of having another road car that will get little to no use on the road. (Hard to justify when paying the wife's bills lol!).