Moving to australia

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by charlieog1243, Aug 31, 2012.

1. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

Hey folks a few people said there moving to australia, just wondering what visas have people been looking into. I am getting a 12month working, then working 3 months fruit picking and extending to 24months, then going to have to find a sponsorship, pretty sure i have one sorted but would be good to see what other people are doing.

cheers.

2. SteveDunn

SteveDunn Straya

I have a 176 skilled sponsored permanent migrant visa. It took a year and was a massive ballache start to finish. Worth it though.

3. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

ye they all seem to be a ballache to get they have cracked down on them recently as well

4. Mau5

Mau5 Member

you best bet is starting off on a working holiday visa as you are, if you have a skilled trade with all the relevant papers and certs you could laugh your way into a sponsorship, but if you don't it can be very tough. The mining industry is always looking for skilled workers, in any field. try leightons, hayes recruitment, juila ross, seek.com.au they are job listings for when you get over, and if you look on gumtree you can find regional work very easily

BTW when are you over Steve?

5. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

cheers for that Mau5 will take a look

6. SteveDunn

SteveDunn Straya

Hey dude. I'm over next weekend :) Moving to Busselton initially, but then looking for IT work up in Perth.

7. chidley

chidley i like fingers

wish i could up and leave to australia. trouble is ive only got experience using AutoCAD, no actual certificates, so no matter how amazing i am, its worthless. think ill end up working for McDonalds now.. i hate my life

8. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

i cant wait to get out there went for a 6 month working holiday last year and was the best time of my life drifters galore!

9. Mau5

Mau5 Member

cool man! theres gonna be a 2 day drift event @ barbagallo raceway which is right around the corner from me if you wanna see how these guys go!

10. HOLDITFLAT

HOLDITFLAT Member

We do it proper good over here ;) in saying that in the next 2-3 years my plan is to get my car to England/Europe for 6 months for events!

11. SteveDunn

SteveDunn Straya

When's that? :)

12. Mau5

Mau5 Member

end of the month!

13. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

under 2 months till im there sorry for bumping this old thread but do any aussies no where to look for good cars ive been looking on ebay.au/hardtuned etc but anywhere else i can look?

14. mcxxvi

mcxxvi i take pictures

So whats the deal with Australia's new immigration law then? I've heard from a mate that if you're under 25, you're allowed to go there and work without the need to apply for a work visa, and when you hit 25, you need to do 6-12 months of farming/fruit picking in order to apply for AUS citizenship.

How true is this and what is the design industry like over there?

15. caprimike

caprimike New Member

I spent 2 years in Australia, got back in september. I was on the working holiday visa and the 3 months rural work thing. Had the time of my life! would recomend it to anyone. One day ill live there proper. I spent most my time in Brisbane, drift practice every thursday evening at archerfield raceway was great fun! I worked in the mines for 9 months too, in Emereld, central QLD. thats where all the money is, if your willing to work for it. Im not sure about any other visas but that one ^^^^ sounds way too easy to be true. Theres loads of jobs over there compared to here aswel... its the place to be!

16. DaRReN-R32

DaRReN-R32 Member

i did 2 years over there on working holiday visa and 3 months seasonal work, we basicly traveled right round and drove most of it, been back 2 years now and talk everyday about going back but its hard id need sponsorship, id drop everything tomorrow to go and live out there!

17. SteveDunn

SteveDunn Straya

18. hunts15

hunts15 Member

Complete bull shit that is, as everyone is sayin ya apply for a 12 month visa, in the 12 months ya complete 3 months regional work and that qualifies for a second year visa, before the 2nd year finishes you try to seek sponsorship from an employer if no joy ya go home after the 24 month, if ya get sponsored you stay minimum 2 years with that employer, you then apply for residence (which extends to a 6 year visa) or finish your remaining 2 years and go home, if you apply for residence you do 2-5 years keep a clean record and apply for citizenship boom your australian, it cost though and you have to work hard to achieve ( no papers/qualifications/degrees ) then it's 2 years you will get, they are clamping down on all the fake sponsorship pleas been approved

19. 4drmatt

4drmatt Member

Sorry for the slight hijack, but probs relevant to some... How long does the 12 month visa take to sort out? I'm planning on going in September this year... Is it too late? Also, what are the rules regarding self employment...? As I'm a web developer, but don't have any qualifications, just experience, it'd probably find it hard to get a job as all the jobs I've seen require qualifications

Finally, when does the drifting competition season run and what areas are good for it?

20. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

my visa took 2 weeks depends on how quick you can get a medical done was lucky tbh the previous comment about the 25 thing is bullshit i wish it wasnt but it is you have to apply for a 12month visa do 3 months farming/fruit picking etc then you can extend it for 24 months if you still want to be there then either find a sponsor or get married! lol