which is a wiser,buy nissan silvia s15 spec s then install turbo,lsd or spec r

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by r12zero, Sep 11, 2012.

1. r12zero

r12zero New Member

Need advice...I'm planning buying a Nissan Silvia s15
    I want a spec r but my friend told me to buy s spec s
    Then install a Turbo and LSD in it and it will be cheaper
    Than spec r

2. MATT BOON

MATT BOON Active Member

But the spec r is structurally much better than the spec s.

Spec r is the way to go

3. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

It may well be cheaper but only if you can get the parts you need reasonably and do the work yourself. And it'll still always be a Spec S with a turbo and LSD, never a Spec R (if that bothers you, personally I don't mind). And structurally it's just missing the bolt in brackets as far as I'm aware.

4. random tim

random tim Member

Plus a spec s with a turbo conversion will be a heavily modified car and worse to insure than a spec r

5. mint

mint touch my fruit

Spec R has better brakes, front, rear upper and lower bracing (Including a pretty decent boot support) 6 speed box, OE turbo, Boost gauge in a-pillar... to name a few things.

It depends on your budget. If you can afford to upgrade the brakes, fit turbo's, manage, uprate suspension and bracing etc then do it.. but tbh I had a Spec R and my mrs currently has a Spec S.. and its day and night man. Even with HSD's on it.

Spec R > Spec S.. Always imo. Iv seen SR20DE's with bolt on Turbo's the Spec R SR is by far the better one to have.. plus if you got a R then you dont need to upgrade anything as it already has a helical diff which is fine for drifting.

Also its been a bit of a pain getting shit for this Spec S - We bought Yashio stuff from RHDJapan to find out, Spec R stuff doesnt fit :/ no listing for Spec S :( She was a little gutted.
    I also noticed something different with the front hub between the S and R, I dont recall what; I just remember looking and thinking.. 'Thats different... and shit.'

#5 mint, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  6. r12zero

r12zero New Member

Thanks guys!all of you are a big help!:D

7. Phil G

Phil G Active Member

spec R all the way. its all there ready to go and its oem quality so you know it will last. the spec r chassis may be the same but all the structural supports and extra little bits make it a wiser choice.

I had this conundrum when i bought mine but i chose spec R

8. r12zero

r12zero New Member

Thanks!\m/

9. jumpbike

jumpbike Member

Rusty S14 with spec s shell, swap out the subframes and you're there really. Couple of braces to stiffen the shell up... that's 1 way of doing it.

10. nikkisixx69

nikkisixx69 Active Member

I've ha in my possession both spec r and a spec s with a spec r engine (had tomie 2way,s14 brakes etc), both felt pretty much the same , extra bracing makes fuck all difference