is an MX5 a good learner car?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Richardo_Diaz, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Richardo_Diaz

Richardo_Diaz Member

Hey guys :) I've been thinking about getting a BMW 323/5/8 for a while for learning to skid in at Norfolk and Essex Arena but the other night I was offered an MX5 for £400.. It's the 1.6 turbo. Would you say that that'll be a resonably good car for Norfolk with coilovers, a welder and a hydro or should I go down the more traditional 3 series route?

Thanks
    Rich

2. copeyhagen

copeyhagen Member

seriously doubt its a 1.6 turbo for 400£. they never came from factory turbo

3. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Best learner car there is IMO.

1.6 Turbo? No turbo unless it's been converted, and that wont be a 400quid car!

No need for a hydro, or any handbrake.

Drivers bucket seat, welder, and maybe coilovers (TBH even that's not a big deal on em, but if so jus some cheapy 200quid ebay ones) and lock spacers, and job done.

Teaches you to drift properly and not rely on power. Look shite, but its drifting not show cars.

I've had 2 so far, both standard engine 1.6s, current one I paid 450quid for, and although I also got a 450bhp R32 Skyline, TBH I prefer the MX5!

4. mint

mint touch my fruit

MX5 is a great learner drift car.

/thread

5. copeyhagen

copeyhagen Member

somebody put together some kind of a fookin guideline sticky with a quick breakdown of cheap starter cars like bmws, mx5s, tezzas ect. every day like 10 threads of same stuff

6. Richardo_Diaz

Richardo_Diaz Member

Well in which case it's probably just 1600 n/a lol! Thanks everyone :) that's my Christmas bonus (and some more) spent then ;) i

#6 Richardo_Diaz, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  7. Phil Mann

Phil Mann Member

There was the BBR Turbo, but if it is a BBR for £400 i would expect loads and loads of rust.

8. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

If there was a BBR Turbo one for £400 I'd expect it to be on fire, never mind rust.

9. rutter

rutter Member

U don't need a turbo on a .mx5 u just need big bollocks and ring it's neck I've never been a fan of them and drifted lots of cars whilst I've been working for driftone and I ended up acquiring a set up .mx5 last month it's so easy to drift it's unbelievable

10. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

MX5 is a good drift car, the guy below came to his first DWYB on Sat, coilovers, bucket seat, welded diff, lock mods and drifted the shit out of it all day. Linked the whole top track with it in the wet and later in the dry. :worthy: There were quite a few MX5's there, probably ten in fact!

[​IMG]

Ian. :p

11. mint

mint touch my fruit

^ THIS! Basic 5, Basic mods and it'll be your friend all day long at the price of a pair of part worns and maybe some power steering fluid :p

12. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Indeed. What Blackett described on the above MX5 is all you need, even pulling 3rd in the dry.

Not sure about a 'pair' of part worns though Mint, I got through 3 sets of nearly new tyres in 3 hours with mine on the TriOval, lol.

13. mint

mint touch my fruit

Sorry, Meant to say pair of winter part worns :p Iv done a whole crail big track day on one set before! :D was brilliant!!! :D
    NDC Round 1; I used 1 pair of new tyres, NDC Round 2; I used 2 pair's of part worns I think.. cant recall but either or.. Its brilliant!

14. Goddaz

Goddaz Member

Ohhhh thats me above ;D
    I used 1 pair of part worns all day. It was pretty easy at pod tbh it defo teaches you speed, momentum and line!! no handbrake or you'll end up straightening. 40psi and pin it!!

no idea how they compare to other cars though?? the biggest peice of advise i can give is regular maintenece!!

15. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

I used 30 tyres once at norfolk in a weekend with my old mx5 :)

16. scottyj

scottyj Active Member

Defo go for an mx5. I had one and loved it. What's been said covers it all tbh. Just drive nice and fast, and use the weight. Teaches you a great Deal and it's cheap, reliable and fun.

Only downside is you have to be creative on getting tyres in the car and to the track lol

17. matfurio

matfurio Member

I started out with one to learn in.
    Absolutely loved it. Hydro, coilovers, and a heavy right foot with clutch kicking for good measure. Crashed into curbs and bent subframes/wheels/arms. Went to the scrapyard next day was driving it again that night. Never let me down either and it took SO much stick.
    It taught me everything I know which I can now put to use in my sbody. Well worth the two awesome years of fun :)

18. juggs

juggs Member

I've got Stav's old one & it's still putting up with the abuse many drift days, crash's, streeto hours etc later!
    Can't complain all I would say is for a beginner in my opinion you can be a little bit lazier in something with a longer wheelbase, just be fast with your steering inputs.
    I think get an mx, just accept you'll look bent driving it but you will enjoy it smiles per pound it's the best car I have brought in years.
    It's also helped me from being really shit to a bit less shit :)