Had anyone buy cars from copart?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by dany.bilan628, Nov 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. dany.bilan628

dany.bilan628 Member

Had anyone bought salvage cars from copart?
    Any problems met with the company?

2. hosmob

hosmob Active Member

I have, never had any issues with them

3. dany.bilan628

dany.bilan628 Member

a friend of mine bought a car last year and he couldn't register it in my country because there was a problem with the v5 document, so the car ended up in a scrap yard. At least I was told so.

4. davey

davey Active Member

just remeber, most of the staff are knobbers that dont give a fuck about what they are doing as its just minium wage to them, most cars are on the racking which means they put a fuck off big fork lift truck under your car to get it down, you might get unlucky and have a car above yours that has a oil (not a big deal) brake fluid (is a big deal) or fuel leak (again, is a big deal).

its not uncomman to have bits raped from the cars eirther. e.g stereo, bov, remotes ect ect

more often then not, theres lots of marks on the cars that they dont mention as its your job to view the car and check them over for yourself.

be carefull with non runners/keys not included as the engines can be fucked and they just say they dont have the keys ect

the fees are over the top too so make sure you budget for that!

oh and one last thing, make a short list of the parts you thing you will need, get a grand total, then double it. if you dont have the cash then dont bother as you will struggle to get some funds back for it as they tend to go for top dollar on copart ;)

hope this helps, best of luck dude

5. Joeh

Joeh Member

Thats something new with co-part, never had a problem with a V5C with any car I've had from them

If you can spare time to visit a car before you bid on it, it would be better, they are known to not list all the damage and not to mention some electrical/mechanical issues.. they have disclaimers saying they are not responsible if a car isn't as described btw.

6. Joeh

Joeh Member

Exactly all the things you need to know.. pretty much summed it up.

BTW there is a fee to get the car forklifted to your recovery vehicle if its not drivable

7. davey

davey Active Member

lol i never even knew about the forklift fee! they've got fees for everything lol

bring back dave hales ;)

8. dany.bilan628

dany.bilan628 Member

thanks for the info.very usefull information. I was considering exporting the car.I'm not a UK resident so checking the vehicle myself is imposible...or if possible it would be unprofitable

I was looking for some cat D (usually runner)

9. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

Most of the cars go for too much money to warrent buying one nowadays. Alot of the cars are bought up by foreigners and exported to Europe. I know this as I know someone who works for them.
    The staff aren't allowed to rape the cars of parts. They can't take stereos and what not. Pretty much the only perk they get is they only pay £10 for a tank of fuel. As all the cars are obviously drained of fuel

10. dany.bilan628

dany.bilan628 Member

the cat c damaged ones don't come with the v5 at all? is there a way to get a new v5 on the new keeper's name on it without repairing it?

what the vic test is all about?

11. spaniel

spaniel bigballs small brain

I work for them and some of the points i agree with, they do take the piss with the fees ( the loading fee is to bring the car out not to load it, but if u drive it out u still have to pay it).
    Most cars from here are accident damaged so u really should come and look. Anyone that buys any car without properly looking at it is an idiot as u never know what ur gonna get.
    We dont get to nick what ever parts we want, we are always being watched on camera and have our cars searched.

Some of the cars do make alot of money due to the europeans but at the end of the day its an auction not buy it now, if u think its too expensive then dont bid and buy some where else.

12. diamondsink

diamondsink Kyouto Drift

Bought my van from them. Paid £1700 for a 95k 03 cat D vivaro, (dent it the back door and a warped bumper). Was worth £3000 before the crash. Didnt have any paper work so had to pay £20 for a new V5 from the DVLA. No biggie. There was no fee to have it forklifted. I didnt have the choice to drive it over the yard. The place is full of Polish and polish truck drives picking up 10 cars at a time. Even the signage on the site is in polish. But over all a good buy and not a bad service. But saying that you do take a risk.

13. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

i was gonna say the few that ive been to have been full of polish and bulgarian people.ive always found the cars to be to expensive.

14. Dom_500

Dom_500 New Member

It would have to be a bargain to buy from copart, we used to send our stuff there and they dont care at all about what they sell.

15. supernova-dw

supernova-dw Active Member

I buy cars from Copart every week. Buy cat B, C and D's.

Cat B cars you can only buy if you have a breaking licence, anyone can buy cat C and D.

On the whole yes alot of the cars do go for strong money but having said that every week I buy say 10 to 15 cars so it's not that bad and of course you don't have to bid if you don't want to! Again as has been said alot of the cars go to Eastern Europe, mainly Poland, Lithuania and Romania in my experience.

People saying that they don't care what they are selling etc... is a little stupid as they are salvage agents! They get the cars in via insurance company contracts and simply sell them on as they are. If you want a trouble free car with history etc then go and buy one off a four court and pay big money!!!

Be careful and sensible about what you buy and you can make good money!

16. tudor.

tudor. Member

Why do people from Eastern Europe pay top dollar for a cat c/d RHD car? Just for breaking?

17. speedemon-2008

Exactly what DAVEY said, i pick cars up from there all the time as all i do is deliver cars from there most days of the week and what they say in the advert can be totally different to what you get when you come to pick the car up.
    Be very careful when buying from there and leave plenty money a-side to fix it cauz there will always be stuff you havent budgeted for and if you do buy one from any of the coparts give me a shout if you need it delivering i can work out a good price if im already going along that route one day

18. speedemon-2008

(tudor) i think its cauz they cant get hold of that sort of stuff in there country for the right money and thats why they come over here to get them as they usually pick up between 3-10 at a time, see them there all the time.

19. supernova-dw

supernova-dw Active Member

They don't buy them to break usually, they are generally repaired, converted to LHD and sold on fourcourts over there as straight.

As soon as they leave the UK the traceability of them being damaged get's lost.

There was even a guy I knew of who was buying damaged cars here (Including cat B's) Sending them to Poland where they would repair them and then import them back to the UK. They had then lost their written off status and were re registered here in the UK on different reg numbers and sold straight.

20. davey

davey Active Member

^THIS

see this kind of thing happening all the time, buy a fucked £20,000 motor for £5,000 export it, repair it, import it, sell it for £20,000.

simples if you can sleep at night and dont mind looking over your sholder for the long arm of the law to put there hands on you.