Jaguar S-Type , to drift or not to drift : that is the question !

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Freedomdriiver, Nov 9, 2012.

?

Jaguar S-Type , to drift or not to drift : that is the question !

1. TO drift

93.9%
  2. NOT to drift

6.1%
  1. Freedomdriiver

Freedomdriiver New Member

Evening All :wave:

I've been sleeping on this idea for many years now ever since my first S Type 4 years ago and having just sold all my cars , got a clean slate to play with so I though I'll get on the band wagon and post my 1st thread on here to see what the views are :o

I realize this may be somewhat of a thread revival to some as there was a chap I think maybe 2 years ago or so with a similar idea but can't for the life of me find that anywhere .

So here's some food for thought , a 240bhp 3L V6 S - Type Jaguar to be made into a VIP style drift car , only for a bit of fun as a daily driver & occasional drift day , no D1 stuff just yet so lets keep it simple & real ; what do you think ?

Any constructive feedback would be most appreciated ( but I'm ready for abuse at the same time lol ! Been in the Motorsport game long enough haha ) :smash:

Regards

Daniel

2. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

I can't see the benefit to be honest, I'm just guessing here so standing by to be corrected but, wouldn't an Type S cost a small fortune to repair compared to say, a tidy Omega such as the one below?

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/dri...rare-manual-3-0-mv6-omega-1200-west-mids.html

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure if it was a manual RWD with LSD then yeah I have no doubt that it could be drifted but what are the benefits?

You want a VIP daily that you want to drift....there are far cheaper alternatives out there that will look a lot better IMHO mate

now I'm going to completely contradict myself here aswell but if you were considering using a much, much older XJS as a base vehicle then I would say 'fuck yeah....deep dish, slammed to fuck and manual conversion for the LS that you're going to drop in there'

or a nice big V12

[​IMG]

#2 akinadan79, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  3. Polo

Polo Sr20 parts man!

It's was me who started that thread a few years back.

IV built these into full on race cars and know them inside out so can help.

Good chassis and suspension setup, get an early one as they have better front suspension for lock.
    Rear shafts and diffs are a bit weak so try some thing from a SC or Diesel model, only prob then is the ratios are fucked up big time.
    Duel mass flywheels are wank so you'll need to get a custom one made, Guy who made them for me should still have the drawings for them.
    I also developed a full coilover kit for them for Spax, I don't know if Spax sells them though as it was bespoke for us, but again they'll have the drawings, specs etc saved.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Polo

Polo Sr20 parts man!

One last thing, the power steering shits it's self a lot, I got around it by fitting a cooler and removing the pressure switch and put a bolt in its place.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Polo

Polo Sr20 parts man!

We managed to get about 290hp on stock engine and manifolds, just with a bit of basic porting, decent exhaust, filter and remap.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

drift an xj6 3.2, and it does very well, although the bushes are all soft and fall apart prety quick!

7. Polo

Polo Sr20 parts man!

Stype chassis is 100% different to any XJ chassis before 2003.

8. Freedomdriiver

. . . . .

#8 Freedomdriiver, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  9. Freedomdriiver

10. Freedomdriiver

Polo , you're genuinely my hero !

That's amazing , thank you for replying ... I've contacted SO many Jaguar race teams and the Jaguar dealership HQ ( who , needless to say , were absolutely useless ) , kinda started running out of ideas so any input and advice I'd be most grateful for :D !

Sounds like you got it sorted , was it just as a hobby you got involved with the S-Types or a job ? I'm sure there'll be plenty of questions soon for which I apologize haha !

11. Polo

Polo Sr20 parts man!

It's my job mate, built just about most Jag chassis up to about 2003 into race cars.

Stype is the only option IMO, all the older ones like xjs and xj6 IRS is shite and weighs a ton. The front twin arm suspension is also crap for lock and adjustment.
    Stype is all alloy suspension and such a better design.

12. Freedomdriiver

Is there much benefit then in converting the '99 - '02 into a drift wagon than the '03 model onwards ?

13. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Iv always hated these.... And still do..

Don't let me put you off though, iv driven/drifted some random cars.. Most notably a Merc 560 SEC, only mod was a welded diff... And my current build which is a GS300 Iv made into a manual Aristo type thing...lol

You can make any car a pretty good drift car... It's all about how much work your prepaired to put in, or how big your wallet is..

14. Freedomdriiver

Haha the Merc is gonna be a right old classic in the near future :) ! I'm a big fan of the saying that " beauty is in the eye of the beholder " which , when it comes to cars , seems legit !

True that about work & wallet as well , Motorsport is unfortunately one big money pit but more fun than watching money burn on it's own haha :smash:

15. Freedomdriiver

Polo , whats the score with hand brakes on these ? I.e stock & installing a hydro system ?

#15 Freedomdriiver, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012