Mk4 fiesta, anyone owned one?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Snap, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Snap

Snap Member

Im looking at buying one (2001) as a daily commuter. Few of questions:

Is the clutch heavy? I sit in a lot of traffic so dont particularly want a heavy clutch.

Would it have ABS?

Main problems?

Thanks.

2. Steveday

Steveday Member

I think, (being pedantic) a 2001 would be a mk5, same car though just a few facelift bits exterior-wise.
    Had a mk4 as my first car, 1.25, clutch was easy as anything, I killed it and had it replaced and it was still the easiest thing in the world to drive.
    Mine had no abs but was 4/5 years older so couldn't say yes or no on that front. Hth.

3. spaniel

spaniel bigballs small brain

He is right that is mk5. The clutch is normally light and you should have abs with that age

4. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

its a fucking fiesta... pennies to repair anyhow

clutch wont be heavy, or buy an auto

5. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Check the rear diff and make sure the rotor rips aren't worn out. Not to mention the rudder.

6. covjdm

covjdm Member

The clutch will not be heavy and as for the ABS not all MK5 fiesta's had it. I know the 1.25L didnt plus I 99% sure that it was only the Zetec S models which had ABS. (even not all of them had it)

Other problems are-
    Heater control valve fucks up and the heater will blow hot air at max fan speed all the time.
    Just because its a fiesta they rot alot too, main areas being, Sills, Rear Archs, Inner sill (next to rear beam mounting point)

Hope this helps.

7. Grovesy

Grovesy Member

That would be mk5 mate. I had a zetec S as my first motor, clutch was easy as anything. Only problem i ever had was heater matrix went i had to replace it but was easy as its only bolted onto the bulkhead.

8. aaronblue

aaronblue Active Member

I have a 51 plate fiesta 1.8td. I love it good on fuel cheap to repair just done cambelt, brakes all round and bearings all round for less than 120 quid. And its tows my 100e with ease. Shame its a gay shade of green.

9. blackz31

blackz31 Member

As above, think the heater control valve is the most common issue - sometimes folk bypas unit altogether to ensure they get warm air when wanted....easy not to spot this when viewing so make sure it runs hot AND then cold. Quick easy and cheap to change over yourself but its a pain when you end up fitting 3 in 2 years!
    Other than that check the rear arches for spray over covering rust, the rear arches go pretty quick if not looked after.
    I had a wee Zetec S a few years ago, took any amount of abuse thrown at it.

10. a2pen

a2pen Member

Sorry I'm a ford tech it's a mk4.5 look for RUST brake pipes and bushes. Try and get 1.3 no cambelt then. Clutch is hydraulic so light.
    But zetec s is the one I would have, as an out of the box fun good lookin car

11. docwra

docwra Active Member