MOT history check / fraud

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Edinburger, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Edinburger

Edinburger Member

hi guys

need some help please. i have seen one car which is quite far from me so driving all the way down just for viewing is not an option.

seller is elderly chap and quite fussy and bit paranoid about giving away MOT certificate number or V5 document number.

my question is..is there any way to do mot history check without mot and v5 ref number ?

one of my friend works in garage would he be able to check history or find out mot number for me if i just give him car reg number ?

thanks

2. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

You need the document ref number from the v5 or the reference number off the mot certificate

Just tell the seller to stop being a knob its perfectly safe for him to give you the info you need and if he wants to sell the car then just cooperate, i mean what the hell else are you going to do with that info.

3. mushtafa

mushtafa Member

I don't think you can do anything without the mot test number etc. Perhaps ask him to scan and email the certificate? Being the new style or certificate, it'll show all advisories

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

4. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

Explain to him that it's a government website you'll be using to enter the info onto and that the whole point of those numbers are for people to be able to gain info from official government databases and there's nothing dodgy about it.

5. Edinburger

Edinburger Member

seller is an old man and said to me " it feels like giving away my card details there are lots of fraud going on i am not giving away my v5 details etc"

he is just paranoid about some thing..i do like car but dont want to travel 5 hours just for viewing etc.

6. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

Also explain if he doesn't give you the info then it feels like he might be hiding something, it's a 2 way street etc, if he has the internet get him to visit the mot history site and he can see for himself that its all official, above board and a perfectly reasonable valid request to ask for the info you require.

#6 Robbs, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  7. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Just explain that it's a government website that lets you see the results of previous MOT's and allows you to check if the cars mileage has been clocked, and if it failed horrendously on corrosion and stuff like that.

8. oli_the_thread

Might be worth actually ringing him to ask and tell him about it too. I'm usually a little more trusting of people if I can at least hear their voice

9. JZXFTW1

JZXFTW1 Member

As mentioned you need reg and doc ref no. If he has a PC (must have if advertising the car online) send him a link to the Gov site then he will understand it's not dodgy. He is just confused and thinks you are asking him for the Chassis no, just need to explain kindly and aid him with a link.

Oh and you need doc ref no, the MOT test no will just give you details of last mot, doc ref no allows you to do a history check so you can see all previous.

Doesn't really show much as a savvy seller can clock a car before each MOT if he has owned for a while but quite good just to have a looky. Very common on new cars though as no MOT for first three years! And harder to tell as they are still not that worn after 3 years, that's where it happens mostly, I reckon something stupid like 1 in 4 newish cars are clocked!

Just make him realise it's the ref no you want and not the identity number so you can clone it :wack:

10. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Fair play to the old bloke, at least he's trying to protect himself from scammers.

What area is the car in? Maybe someone can do a bit of legwork for you.

11. Edinburger

Edinburger Member

yea i spoke to him on 2 occasions. hes fussy kinda old man i dont want him to feel that i am keep harrasing him.

#11 Edinburger, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  12. Edinburger

Edinburger Member

i think i'll get my grand dad to phone him :) as a new buyer ;)

13. Edinburger

Edinburger Member

thanks for input guys

i checked with my mate who ownes a garage and even he cant find history or doc ref number.

14. Rubix_Cube

Rubix_Cube Member

Can you not just use the reg number on the HPi check?

15. blackz31

blackz31 Member

I don't see any reason why you couldn't get this info from an MOT station. When you lose your MOT you can get a new one from MOt station for a fiver...go to MOT station and get a duplicate MOT printed using his registration number and that will give you the MOT test number, coupled with the reg number you have all you need to do the online check - you can use MOT test number OR doc ref from V5. Motoring : Directgov - MOT history request

Would only cost you a fiver to get the MOT duplicate printed and the old guy would be none the wiser that you have accessed the MOT history online.

16. mushtafa

mushtafa Member

This will only work if you go to the MOT test station who did the MOT in the first place. If you go to any other test station, they will need the V5 number.

17. bell

bell Without patience

true to an extent, but new style mot's are all listed on a database so can be accesed.
    i know as i had to get a duplicate mot for my landy, it was mot'd at northampton kwik fit i got my new cert from wolverhampton kwik fit. it may be that the company that did the mot was a national company with a good database but it is definatly worth inquiring at an mot station about it.

18. Car Media

Car Media Doughnut eater

^^^ WHAT???? got something to sell have we? or just spamming for fun?

19. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Member

where is he located ?
    perhaps someone local could go check it out for you and "obtain" the relevant numbers

20. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

Why don't you just ask him to call a local garage near him (so its his choice) and ask them if he should give the numbers out or not..

however I can see where he is coming from.. if you where planning on ringing your car, get those numbers would make it very easy to get a copy of a MOT cert to do fraudulent use.. so personally I don't blame him, I wouldn't give the numbers up, I would say come look at if your interested or go away :p haha