pulling in new wheel studs

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by AndyS13, Nov 29, 2012.

1. AndyS13

AndyS13 Member

Ive spent the night putting in new wheel studs onto my 5 stud hubs using an impact gun and two nuts and a stock wheel nut as shown:
    [​IMG]
    The pic shows the nuts and wheel bolt on when the studs are fully in so its not as if it was bottoming out against the wheel nut..

However upon trying to test fit some wheel nuts on it afterwards ive noticed that the top couple of threads are knackered on each stud, I dont know if im maby using to much force or something although i did manage to completely strip the inner threads out one of the stock wheel nuts when I was about halfway through pulling a stud through...

2. FireStorm999

FireStorm999 Active Member

I did this on the car under the instructions of my mate.

Didnt remove the hub.

Knocked old studs. Put new stud in position. Put a socket round the stud as a spacer (i tried a galv coupler but it splayed) then used a large internal drive nut to pull them in. Didnt pull them in all the way though.

He specificlly told me not to use nuts as spacers as you could fuck the studs. Even if the nuts are larger than the stud. But of course your gonna fuck the thread using 3 different tightening nuts as it will just be pulling against the threads.

I then put a rubbish wheel on just incase of scratching and tightened with some rubbish internal drives again. To pull them fully in. Took about 3 hours once we had the right studs not exactly going fast.

I didnt use a gun either.

#2 FireStorm999, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. AndyS13

AndyS13 Member

I just had the hub already off so I thought id change the studs with the hubs off the car. i still dont understand why using oversized nuts would damage the threads?

4. FireStorm999

FireStorm999 Active Member

If the threads caught in anyway or got interlocked as you were pulling it through you could probs snap the threads on one side. I assume.......

Ass u me :-)

5. owen_sr

owen_sr Member

Did the wheel nut bottom out on the stud. They can be cleaned up a triangle file or needle files anyways.