2013 UK Open Drift Championship

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by MJG, Dec 30, 2012.

1. MJG

MJG Active Member

After a successful 2012 season, it gives me great pleasure to announce the official opening of the 2013 UK Open Drift Championship. This championship is designed to be entirely for the drivers, both amateurs and skilled alike who want a fun and challenging national championship without having a huge financial burden.

The format will remain the same, with various qualifying venues holding their own competitions under the ODC umbrella and submitting scores to the central ODC team. These scores then determine the top 32 drivers who will be eligible for a heavily discounted national final event held at an awesome venue at some point around October 2013. Cash prizes and other goodies will be awarded to the top drivers in the final – also, new to 2013, the top 3 drivers will earn themselves a Drift Masters Series licence!!

The ODC is run by myself Mike Gaynor, Gordon McIsaac, John Jones and Gavin Cumming. Each of the venue organisers (if different from above) complete the rest of the team.

The venues for 2013 are as follows:

Birmingham Wheels (Skid Risk) – Ryan Toporowski and Tom Field

Buxton Raceway (Drift One) – John Jones and Mike Gaynor

Lochgelly Raceway (Jumanji Nights) – Jeek Federico and Kyle Chisholm

Pembrey Circuit (Drift Inc) – Gordon McIsaac and Gavin Cumming

Southwest/Smeatharpe airfield (Straightliners) – Trevor Duckworth and Martin Lee

The focus for ODC competitions is on twin battles this year, as the final will be held with twinning! Not all venues will be able to hold twin battles all the time due to local insurance or time constraints but this will be announced by each venue in due course. No roll cages are required at this stage, but if you are in a position to fit one – it would be useful! Also, after visiting Pembrey last year it has become evident some circuits like drivers having fireproof overalls so please set aside a few quid a month to get one just in case.

You will need to register 4 scores to be eligible for the final, these can come from any mix of venues. Your best 4 scores across the season will be those used to establish your position in the championship table. This will be regularly updated and published on Driftworks.

To be eligible for the ODC you need to have not COMPETED in the BDC, JDM, EDC, DMS or any other recognised competition since Jan 1st 2012. Holding a licence is fine, as long as you haven’t attended any competition events. You can use whatever car you like as long as it's RWD and meets basic practice day safety rules.

To apply, please email UKODC@hotmail.com with the below details, then paypal £30 as a GIFT to the same address with your name on it.

Name:
    DW username (if applicable):
    Date of Birth:
    Vehicle (if known):
    Home address:
    Email address:
    Paypal address (if different from above):
    Mobile number:

A licence card and driver number sticker will be posted to your home address. A simple UK ODC windscreen sticker will be available at your qualifying venues as well as any championship sponsor stickers that may be required, these are to be fitted to your car or at least retained for the final if for some reason you can’t fit them for the duration of the season. The driver number and UK ODC sticker are to be fitted to your windscreen, any other stickers can be placed wherever you like.

The top 16 drivers from the 2012 final have drivers numbers allocated based on their finishing position, all other drivers will be numbered in order of application.

Your membership pays for your licence and stickers, as well as heavily discounting the final for those drivers who qualify. The ODC is entirely not-for-profit and it will always remain that way!

Any questions please email UKODC@hotmail.com and I’ll endeavour to get back to you ASAP.

Mike

#1 MJG, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. chr15_84t3

chr15_84t3 Member

3. Rhys_sx

Rhys_sx -NightWalkers-

Will be on it pay day

4. Richhudson

Richhudson Member

Sounds awesome does this have anything to do with the licensing going on at anglesey on the 10th feb?

5. MJG

MJG Active Member

Nope, that's the Drift Masters Series. I am involved with the running of both championships but it is totally separate.

No licence is required to take part in the ODC :)

Chris - Received thanks :thumbs:

6. lyf

lyf Member

Payment and details sent ;)

7. jeffries

jeffries Member

Payment sent :)

8. Jizzworx

Jizzworx New Member

Do any of the above venues have sound regs?

9. jamesy484

jamesy484 New Member

ill b at lochgelly waitn!!! lol

10. MW99

MW99 Member

What happened with Essex and Pod as venues?

11. scottc1088

scottc1088 Member

Just details sent as I got free membership this year :)
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Scouse14a

Scouse14a Member

Details sent :D

13. stuart.col

stuart.col Member

when does the qualifying start as i need to prep my car to enter?

14. lyf

lyf Member

I know most places don't have sound regs BUT if your car sounds like shit, you'll probably asked to 'adjust' it for next time

15. MJG

MJG Active Member

MW99 - Essex and Pod made zero effort to be a part of the ODC so they are no longer involved. If these were your local venues then my apologies but you can take it up with them, and attend another event :D

Jizzworx - Most venues don't have sound regs, just make a slight effort to have an exhaust. The final is likely to have a noise limit though so be prepared to make mods if you qualify.

First qualifying events are likely to be Feb/March time, but you could probably start driving around June/July and still attend 4 events if you're prepared to travel!

16. MW99

MW99 Member

No problem dude. It was just an enquiry. They where (more) local to me but I have no problem with traveling :) I shall be registering within the next few days!

17. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

Sooooo entering again this year with the Brava :) just got to get a few things sorted, and fit bigger balls before I pay up if that's OK Mike..... Probably be end of jan (ish) along with my Bro in the XJ6 :)

Jono

18. zimm_zimmer

zimm_zimmer Member

is santa pod no longer doing these and has anyone approched snetterton? they had that drift test day and it went really well and i know they are organising for 2013 but to travel to birmingham wheels would cost a fortune :(

19. MJG

MJG Active Member

Santa pod is no longer part of the ODC.

Snetterton are not the right type of event for the ODC as they are just holding practice days like they would hold open track days. They are not in a position to start hosting drifting competitions themselves as yet.

20. stuart.col

stuart.col Member

this may be a stupid question but what is the minimum requirements for this then ie what has to be done to the car?