e30 slow steering??

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by identiti, Feb 27, 2013.

1. identiti

identiti Member

It might be just me but ive noticed that transitioning with my e30 the steering seems slow to react and i often find myself doing all the countersteering work for the car.

I know inducing more caster can help self centering of the wheel but i have no adjustment for this.
    Its running an after market power steering cooler would this have afected things?? The cooler is between the pump inlet and the rack which i beleive is right??

Any advice would be greatly recieved!!

2. n1tr0_9

n1tr0_9 Member

E30's have a notoriously slow rack, i think 4.1 turns lock to lock? I swapped mine for an e36 rack which was much better. It may not make it feel lighter or more responsive, but if you have to wind lock on and off it'll mean less arm work.

3. n1tr0_9

n1tr0_9 Member

You could disconnect you oil cooler temporarily and see if that helps. Also check you universal joint on the column is free moving and not gone stiff.

4. E30jack

E30jack New Member

what front contol arm bushes are you running? powerflex make an eccentric bush that gives you more caster, fitted one to mine but im yet to test it. think the standard m3 ones are eccentric too

5. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

The e36 rack is a good upgrade. But for extra fast lock to lock get the Z3rack
    , ive got one in my e30 and it's immense.

6. pipcarder

pipcarder Member

its probably just broken. :D

7. E30jack

E30jack New Member

how much did you pay for your z3 rack james? do you need to change the pump,pipes and UJs?

8. Dirrt

Dirrt Delusional Drifters

E36 rack is a treat!

9. BMWsean

BMWsean Member

sounds as if the steering UJ is seizing up, my e30's on a standard rack with no power steering and it transitions nicely

10. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

Got a bargain at £60 on ebay. Did'nt have to change anything as far as I remember,just a shim spacer to get the rack to fit properly and bend the pipes some. If you can't get a z3 rack for a good price, the e36 rack can be found plentifully on ebay or a breakers for cheap.

11. identiti

identiti Member

it's currently running an e36 rack with e30 pump etc. Do these systems have a habit of overheating when prolonged engine revs are used? I'm just thinking if running a length of rubber hose in front of the grill to hopefully keep it somewhere near cool and do away with the cooler I'm currently using!?

I was thinking of inducing more caster so ill look into these eccentric bushes and hopefully that should speed things up!
    Failing that I may see if its possible to remove the power steering and just run it as a non power steering unit.

12. Gooly

Gooly Member

Wait so do you mean it's slow in that it needs alot of movement for not much actual steering (ie a slow rack) or that it just doesn't self centre quick enough? Power steering delete would help the latter.

13. identiti

identiti Member

Well in general applying lock isn't a problem I'm just used to cars self centering alot quicker than my current e30.
    I had an old nissan vanette which used to have no power steering and it would just simply fall into your hands a treat as you entered a slide. Hardly a comparison I know but that's my current experience with out power steering lol!

14. identiti

identiti Member

Now thinking of de powering the e36 rack I have on it now to see if that speeds things up too!
    Any of you lot had any experience with them de powered?