My Passat is Cutting Out, Please Help Me ......

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by RandomGuy, Mar 18, 2013.

1. RandomGuy

RandomGuy Harroooooooooo!

Geniuses Of Driftworks please help me .....

Ive recently acquired a 2001 Passat 1.8T, only had it 2 days and im experiencing a problem.

when i dip the clutch pulling up to traffic lights or parking the car it cuts out and i don't know why. im getting no lights but the battery light.

take it back a day, Saturday i collected the car and was told it was stood for a few months without being started, i drove it home and when i turned it off it wouldn't start again, so i put it down to dead battery so i replaced the battery at £90.00 so already im down on money. now it starts first time but still getting this issue with the cutting out when slowing down. its almost like its struggling to keep fired up when coming to a stop. battery light comes on but will start straight away again.

Please Help me!!!!

2. adi778

adi778 Member

i had the same problem as u and i bout my passat 1.8 t just before xmas i got a local garage to put one of those diagnostic sticks to read the errors and it came back with faulty air flow thingy on the air box on top swapped it refreshed the ecu to clear the fault and within a day or 2 of driving it was back to normal i also had a funny idle up and down by about 1000 rpm when i dipped the clutch simaler?

3. RandomGuy

yes very similar, so if i replace the air flow sensor is my first port of call then?

4. rutter

rutter Member

un-plug the air flow meter ant see if it makes a difference first before spending moneys but sounds like a issue i had and it turned out to be a wire earthing on the clutch pedal

5. adi778

adi778 Member

i would say pay a tenner to a garage to do a diagnostic report new cars have so many sensors and watnot a computer will point things out more often than not

#5 adi778, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  6. RandomGuy

got it booked in now at a garage on thursday where they're gonna plug it in, but seeing a few threads leads me to believe its the MAF sensor ... we'll soon see. thanks for the help

7. adi778

adi778 Member

it cost me 100 quid for sameday delivery and to get all my boost pipes redone and fitted so its not to bad cost wise

8. RandomGuy

Cheers Mukka :D

9. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

I'd take the afm, icv and clean them out with brake cleaner.

My old e30 used to do this, cleaned the idle control valve and no probs

10. Rossc0

Rossc0 Diesel Skidder

You sound very mechanically minded...

11. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Hasnt got a BOV fitted has it?

12. RandomGuy

No swampy, that was my first thought, as i had that problem on my 180sx ...

13. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Well as above then, flowmeter, idle valve. Get or borrow a VAGCOM and check the codes,

14. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

From my experience of 1.8Ts, owning a fault code reader is the most useful thing ever.
    Constant little faults but thanks to the reader all were quick and cheap to fix.
    AFM sounds right for your prob, had exactly the same.

15. docwra

docwra Active Member

Boom, Stav and Docwra agree and seeing as that never happens it must be right. :eek:

Buy a cheap OBD and see what it says, if youre a proper skinflint VW might throw it on the handheld one for free.
    AFM's arent always on the OBD readers BTW, certainly wasnt on the Missus MR2 when I was looking at buying that :)

16. Rossc0

Rossc0 Diesel Skidder

I use the Torque II app on my phone with a £7 bluetooth OBD adaptor from amazon. Does the job

17. adi778

adi778 Member

dont get me started i have been told my grammer and spelling are outstanding for a 12 yo

18. alex_200sx

alex_200sx Active Member

Unplug AFM, drive, see if it still does it, If it doesn't, replace AFM. My passat and A4 both had this fault and both times it was the AFM (or Air Mass Meter in VAG terms) In fact, I've had the afm disconnected on my passat fro about 3 months now with no issues at all, haven't got round to replacing it yet, lol!

19. mint

mint touch my fruit

My clio does the exact same thing! Its been in to get fixed 3 times each MOT and each time they change the coilpacks and its still the same. I just put it down to 'being a french car' tbh. It goes fine when it goes, but if you start it up, it'll just stall again. Annoying but fine when its warmed up.

20. sx slider

sx slider Member

Take the maf off and blow it out, they get gunked up. If it runs a bit better after then you need a maf sensor it might even solve the fault. the fact that it is cutting out when it drops to idle also points it in the direction of the idle control valve being faulty.also take the boost pipe off that goes to the throttle body and give it a damn good clean inside with carb/ brake cleaner. Do this before you spend any cash as it may resolve the fault! If not get the old boy plugged in. should be around £40is